April 25, 2024, 03:26:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo strike dogs  (Read 2935 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2018, 10:18:14 pm »

Well my dogs are gonna leave on a track if they come across one. They just don’t hunt nearly as deep by theirselves.  They go up to a mile hunting with each other but solo hunt 100-250 yards. I just can’t help to think I’m doing something that causes it. But they will still run and bay one solo all day long. Just have to cast on better sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be a little frustrating at first and you may have already tried this, but if you can try bringing just one bay dog period, no other dogs in the box or bike other than the catch dog and hunt them right by themselves until they realize there isn’t any help in the box and none coming anytime soon, a problem I’m seeing with my younger dogs that I didn’t have when I was starting Shiloh and little girl and later Smutt is that one of the areas we hunt a good bit a dog doesn’t have to go far to find a runnable track, a lot of times less than 2 hundred yards out of the box, when we go someplace that there aren’t as many chances to put out on a fresher track or few hogs the dogs don’t want to push out even farther to find one at first because they’ve been conditioned to not have to go as far or try as hard to cut a track...

Sometimes all it takes is to take just a baydog by itself and just go sit in the woods where you know there’s hogs and cast the dog and let them do the figuring out part, Smutts sire was an impressive looking young dog when his owner first started him, but when hunted by himself wouldn’t cast out, so finally his owner pulled up in the woods and collared him and casted him out and got back in his truck to take a nap, the male made a small loop and was back at the truck, little over an hour later he woke up to his garmin updating and it was saying his dog was trees and he could hear him bayed half a mile or so away, after that day it’s like a switch flipped and the dog never had an issue ranging out again, I know we all don’t have the time to go about and try all the things we’re recommended...

Another option is to place a feeder in the woods about 50-100 yards further than what you think your dogs are turning around at and get some hogs coming to it and start casting just one dog at a time in that direction and more than likely genetics and Mother Nature will take over and they will realize they need to go a little farther than what they’ve become comfortable with by themselves...

Do you hunt areas with a decent hog population and a lot of hogs...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: