March 28, 2024, 06:04:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo strike dogs  (Read 2729 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2018, 02:51:54 am »

I have killed more hogs in the last 2 years with 1 dog than I have In the last 5 years with anywhere from 2-6. That’s simply a fact. It’s a mindset I have and as any Mind set, it is either instilled in the dog or it isn’t as far as I’m concerned. The dogs I use and have seen used solo are more stock minded than not. Loose, rough, or somewhere in between, these dogs know how and when to do what they must to make what ever it is they’re looking at, stand. The ones that can’t in my opinion have holes, and any hog worth his salt, can see those holes. That has and will continue to be my opinion on the matter. It was something that derived from necessity. I can’t own 10 dogs, I don’t believe in bulldogs, and I have no interest in hurrying to a bay any more. Bay what you can, catch what you just, and you better have your mind about you when I crawl In There with my rifle, because something is getting culled when I do, be it the hog or something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve caught more big hogs with shorter races by hunting one dog or two loose dogs depending on the dogs, but have caught more numbers by having a pack of dogs, usually 4-5, depends on the situation, we hunt to have fun and enjoy ourselves not to try and meet someone’s idea of a standard or to brag about how it was done, my cur dogs are primarily stock bred dogs that have been used to catch hogs and worked well, I don’t mind a dog putting teeth on a hog to stop him or hold him at  bay or catching smaller hogs but will not own a land shark that goes in and tries every hog that’s bayed without the ass to hold it and breaks bays, I don’t mind a dog that’s rough but commits and catches and does what it takes to hold that hog there even when getting cut up, I don’t have time to be steadily doctoring on dogs because they forgot they were baydogs and caused whatever else is there to get cut trying to help, I had dogs just like that for years, most of the time we didn’t need a bulldog, and I wasn’t worried about breeding dogs and catching hogs a certain style and way, I went through a bunch of dogs of all different types and would do whatever it took to catch a hog, nowadays I enjoy the good dog work and breeding and playing with genetics and prefer to bay and catch, your not going to bay and shoot hogs on about 90% of the places anywhere around me relatively close, with the exception of the river swamp in some places, but on the timber land or any planted pines which is the majority of everything around here it’s entirely to thick and you dang ain’t going to do it at night with the thickness and the pressure that’s put on the hogs, there’s nearly as many hog hunters as there is hogs so the hogs are spooky to begin with, to each his own, there different types of 4x4 trucks and different styles of rope horses, whatever works for you and you like it...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: