March 28, 2024, 09:58:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo strike dogs  (Read 2732 times)
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 08:54:32 pm »

When you can haul one dog to the pasture, without a gun, turn that dog loose and it can wind, find, stop, and 'attempt" to catch and hold any hog, only then, in my opinion , do you have a hog dog.  Wink

Catchin hogs cracker style
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 09:03:10 pm »

She is the mother to one set of my running hound crosses, I’m going to breed her to the black male Smutt again, he’s the same family and is her cousin twice on top and bottom, she’s just a cur dog, she goes back to the Masons Buster and is a grand pup of him, and a family of good local stock bred working dogs, I made the cross once before and the two that made it to adult hood are some really really nice dogs one is used on hogs and the other on cattle, my buddy Billy has the one that’s hog hunted and was just asking me to make that cross again the other day even if I didn’t want any pups that he would raise them, well I guess the universe is speaking to me because Billy was hunting with another guy this morning and he liked a gyp called dolly  Billy has off my old Shiloh gyp and brought a female over this evening to breed to Dolly’s brother which is my Ben dog and we were walking around looking at the dogs and I’ll de danged if Lil Girl ain’t starting to come in heat and so I had both of them on me because the little gyp called Coal Billy has off Little Girl and Smutt had showed out this morning, albeit it wasn’t very hard to convince me but I’m going to stick to the story I was forcefully made to comply with their commands...
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 07:43:37 pm »

The line of curs i hunt have a problem of being independent, a few wont even honor bays if their on a track close by  ( but most do) ... I usually hunt 2 at a time but when they split up which happens allot, about 1/2 the time, ive had them strike and stay bayed for hours solo until we and the other dogs got to them... so id assume they would, but  Huh?

1 out is for my dogos lol
bignasty
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 06:43:40 am »

I have killed more hogs in the last 2 years with 1 dog than I have In the last 5 years with anywhere from 2-6. That’s simply a fact. It’s a mindset I have and as any Mind set, it is either instilled in the dog or it isn’t as far as I’m concerned. The dogs I use and have seen used solo are more stock minded than not. Loose, rough, or somewhere in between, these dogs know how and when to do what they must to make what ever it is they’re looking at, stand. The ones that can’t in my opinion have holes, and any hog worth his salt, can see those holes. That has and will continue to be my opinion on the matter. It was something that derived from necessity. I can’t own 10 dogs, I don’t believe in bulldogs, and I have no interest in hurrying to a bay any more. Bay what you can, catch what you just, and you better have your mind about you when I crawl In There with my rifle, because something is getting culled when I do, be it the hog or something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't need or want to use a gun,I thrive on live catch and tie...
have and trust in my bulldogs.heck they can wind trail and catch solo ,I don't even need a cur dog for real.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: