April 20, 2024, 07:29:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cattle dogs  (Read 3058 times)
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 08:59:26 am »

yep, there was a russian type boar killed not 10 miles from my house the other day . i wouldnt dought twra ain't turning them loose .

I know for a fact they used to, whether it was officially done by the state or not I’m not sure but we used to have a state senator here that was said to be the most powerful man in the state and he was as die hard a hog hunter as anybody who lived, when my pawpaw was a young man he took care of all of “60” Rayburn’s dogs and was directed by him to round up a bunch of swamp hogs, some game wardens from Tennessee drove down and picked up a trailer load and paw paw hauled several trailer loads of black swamp hogs as they were called at the time, up to Tennessee, this would have been in the 50’s, Senator 60 was also responsible for coyotes in our country, years ago when the original virgin timber had been harvested there’s wasn’t any game left, when the timber companies bought the land and replanted it in pines, deer were just about unheard of and red fox were prized possessions and the fox hunters had just about caught and killed them out, so he had a game warden from North La, whose name I’ll withhold who was a hog and fox hunter to send a trailer load of coyotes down here so the fox hunters would have something new to hunt...
Those "swamp hogs" came from Southeast Georgia, along with a few loads of "Pineywoods Rooters" from Green Swamp in Central Florida. They turned them hogs out on the Plateau on Catoosa WMA. Locals bred some Russian into them from mountain hogs out of the Smokies. See alot of color in those hogs up that way, but that Russian blood is definitely dominating;)

Catchin hogs cracker style
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 04:21:18 pm »

yep, there was a russian type boar killed not 10 miles from my house the other day . i wouldnt dought twra ain't turning them loose .

I know for a fact they used to, whether it was officially done by the state or not I’m not sure but we used to have a state senator here that was said to be the most powerful man in the state and he was as die hard a hog hunter as anybody who lived, when my pawpaw was a young man he took care of all of “60” Rayburn’s dogs and was directed by him to round up a bunch of swamp hogs, some game wardens from Tennessee drove down and picked up a trailer load and paw paw hauled several trailer loads of black swamp hogs as they were called at the time, up to Tennessee, this would have been in the 50’s, Senator 60 was also responsible for coyotes in our country, years ago when the original virgin timber had been harvested there’s wasn’t any game left, when the timber companies bought the land and replanted it in pines, deer were just about unheard of and red fox were prized possessions and the fox hunters had just about caught and killed them out, so he had a game warden from North La, whose name I’ll withhold who was a hog and fox hunter to send a trailer load of coyotes down here so the fox hunters would have something new to hunt...
Those "swamp hogs" came from Southeast Georgia, along with a few loads of "Pineywoods Rooters" from Green Swamp in Central Florida. They turned them hogs out on the Plateau on Catoosa WMA. Locals bred some Russian into them from mountain hogs out of the Smokies. See alot of color in those hogs up that way, but that Russian blood is definitely dominating;)

Not sure what “swamp hogs” your referring to but the ones I’m talking about came from the swamps of the pearl river and were descendants of the  old free range herds mixed with Russians that had been imported for sport hunting by the few hunters of that time...
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 06:46:58 pm »

I thought you were referring to the hogs that were turned loose by TWRA in the 60's on the cumberland plateau around Crossville Tn.

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 06:01:41 am »

I thought you were referring to the hogs that were turned loose by TWRA in the 60's on the cumberland plateau around Crossville Tn.

I don’t know where the hogs were turned loose, I wasn’t even born then much less even thought of, all I know is that close to 200 boars and sows were sent up there for LOUISIANA,and southwest MS, over a 2 year period and they were sent to Tennessee, all I’ve ever heard them referred to was “the wardens from Tennessee”, the old pens my pawpaw held them in were still somewhat standing after Hurricane Katrina and we demolished them with a dozer when were cleaning up, I’m not sure who or what your referring to but all the business I’m talking about taking place happened in LA a small bit took place in MS and the rest in Tennessee, there was absolutely no Georgia or Florida connection at this time, not saying that it didn’t happen because I’m sure it did but just not at this time and  place...
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 09:21:19 am »

10-4 Reckon we're talking about two different release sites. I'm sure there were even more throughout Tn.  These houndsmen here in East Tn. are pretty serious about "runnin" hogs.  Sure wish I could find someone who was just as serious about "catchin" them though Grin Been here 15 years now and have yet to find anyone with a working line of cur dogs, cattle or hogs. Hard to keep blood going from 600+ miles away.

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 10:04:19 am »

10-4 Reckon we're talking about two different release sites. I'm sure there were even more throughout Tn.  These houndsmen here in East Tn. are pretty serious about "runnin" hogs.  Sure wish I could find someone who was just as serious about "catchin" them though Grin Been here 15 years now and have yet to find anyone with a working line of cur dogs, cattle or hogs. Hard to keep blood going from 600+ miles away.

I guarantee there was way more “stocking” that went on, there’s actually documentation of the TWRA stocking them for more recreational hunting purposes, might not be to many cur dogs up there but I’m just about positive there’s some good gritty long eared brindle dogs up there (plotts)....
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 10:14:21 am »

That's all they know up here is Plott dogs. Grin  They can have them. It takes 37 of them to bay anything and then another 23 high powered rifles to "stop" what they bay or tree laugh

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 04:56:38 pm »

That's all they know up here is Plott dogs. Grin  They can have them. It takes 37 of them to bay anything and then another 23 high powered rifles to "stop" what they bay or tree laugh

Haha, you just ain’t hunting with the right ones...
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 06:11:13 pm »

Warrant there here in Texas to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2019, 06:29:05 pm »

Caught a Russian colored boar here today with 1 Plott gyp, but one of those 300 yard dogs would not have even known that how was on the same continent, so even a lowly Plott can bay a good hog once in awhile sort of like the blind sow and the acorn haha.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2019, 06:44:44 pm »

Caught a Russian colored boar here today with 1 Plott gyp, but one of those 300 yard dogs would not have even known that how was on the same continent, so even a lowly Plott can bay a good hog once in awhile sort of like the blind sow and the acorn haha.

Lol, a fella once asked me what kinda cur dogs I was unloading and what type of hunting style and range they had, I replied to him they were counterfeit curs and they had a fake it till you make it hunting style...
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2019, 07:00:38 pm »

You bayed and caught the boar hog with that gyp or did you use a catch dog.

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2019, 07:05:06 pm »

Haha this Plott gyp is a "total control" dog and she ain't from Florida either haha.
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2019, 07:22:49 pm »

yes or no and how big was the hog

warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 08:28:46 pm »

Doesn't matter much. I'm sure there are some good ones, some that are even catch dogs. Just not my style. Lots of ways to kill or catch hogs though. I'm 47 yrs old now and thank the Lord after every hunt for allowing me to still be able to walk behind my close range, rough cur dogs. He's made me a good enough woodsman to be able to get my dogs within striking distance of enough hogs to keep my freezer full, no matter what state I am in Wink  Stay healthy and hunt them up, with whatever you feed Smiley 

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 09:05:05 pm »

My way of thinking is I don't want to have to find game for my dog, I want my dog to find game for me, as you say a difference in style. I wouldn't feed one of yours and you wouldn't feed one of mine. There is more than one way. I'm 61 and still log lots of miles "going to" my dogs "after" they have found game.
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 10:16:31 pm »

No doubt, many different styles of hunting. And for the record, my dogs have found every hog they have ever caught, whether it was 100 yards from me or a mile from me. Good woodsmanship, as well as cow bred dogs, has allowed me to minimize the number of miles I log in going to the hogs they find and stop. Old "Cowhunter" mentality. Grin   I hope to see 61, let alone still be able to go to my dogs. Stay healthy and catch 'em up. Wink

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: