March 28, 2024, 07:25:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some of my past catch dogs.  (Read 2875 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 06:42:16 am »

There are good and bad ones in every size and pros and cons to every size. My preference is the bigger catch dogs. I like the leggy linebacker type. I just heard a story a couple days ago about a big boar that that had a bulldog on each ear and he ran off with them holding on. They didn't get the hog. I have also had too many dogs cut after the catch because the smaller catch dog just couldn't get the leverage needed. If you run real rough dogs it doesn't seem to matter as much because everything is getting ahold. Like with my Raylynn gyp though, she will bite to stop a hog, but as soon as the hog is caught and she can see you, she's no longer a help to the catch dog because she is gone to the next hog. Hunting solo is another time that the bigger type are more beneficial to me. Naturally you can't handle as many dogs by yourself so the catch dog better be able to anchor by itself because it is gonna have less help. Just my opinion of course.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2018, 07:24:26 am »

We like the big dogs because out in the marsh, they not only anchor the hog, there is not much to tie a dog up to. It really does not matter tho because whatever size dog catches  the hog, The Plotts have him covered. In fact, depending on how many we have out, most of the time we are going to a caught hog. A smaller dog might be a hair faster but say in a hundred yard race if the smaller dog beats the bigger dog by 10 yards, dont really know if that makes a difference. I used to have a 45# pit and she caught everything but you did have to be carefull because a hog could walk and still charge you with her attached. She ended up getting killed by a big boar because he was slinging her everywhere and she just took to much of a beating. Anyway, no matter the size, the bite is what is important. If bulldogs are being shook off, they clearly do not have the bite.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2018, 03:13:08 pm »

I hunted with two fellas that are on this site one time guy said is your bulldog good I said yes sir. They turned out 13 dogs then we bayed and they said turn your catch out lol. Pretty funny the stuff you see nothing against them fellas just not how I do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2018, 06:30:51 am »

LMAO Judge! I had something real similar happen to me and a buddy. It was nearly 30 years ago. A fella invited us to hunt that we had just met. He was our fathers age so we figure he had enough sense to know come here from sick'em.  We all get the this river bottom (crop land) and he has a bumper pull horse trailer. We asked if we should go ahead and drop or 2 young dogs. He said sure so we unsnap them. About that time he flings his trailer gate open and there stood two small mules saddled and out ran 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 22, 23,24 dogs! No kidding. Not a bulldog of any size, big medium or small in the pack. If there is a color of dog or coat pattern he had it in his pack. I wanted to leave right then but I had to stay to see just how that was gonna work. We didn't get on a hog one that day. It was the most eventful dry run I've ever been on. When I asked about a catch dog he said if all those dogs didn't  catch it, he figured he better just shoot it.  So to each their own I guess. Man you brought a memory from way back up to the surface there.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 07:42:49 am »

My preference is to just put two dogs out but sometimes when we are hunting with buddies we might end up with 6 or 7 on the ground. Very rarely do we need a bulldog with that many dogs on the ground & it can turn into a trainwreck on the wrong boar but most of the time, when you have 4-6 dogs, they can manhandle most hogs.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2018, 04:28:09 pm »

Well I just picked up a 3/4 pit 1/4 bulldog pup and if he ever gets to be as big as his dad he’s gonna be a real looker.

Mathews mission venture
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: