March 29, 2024, 03:49:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deer July hound for hogs  (Read 4330 times)
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2019, 09:19:11 am »

They are even more blessed than Florida Curdogs in the history of things.
Only on paper Grin

Catchin hogs cracker style
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2019, 10:15:48 am »

We catch hogs steady with Plott Dogs, and to quote an old Cur Dog friend of mine, "if he's a hog dog you can tie a siren and a flashjing blue light on him and he will bay hogs" haha.

That’s right, I say to folks who are stuck on the silent dog theory that an open mouth dog ain’t no different than an MMA fighter, as long as he has the goods to back up that talking he can talk all he wants...
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2019, 10:55:13 am »

No no no Goose, True Blackmouth Curs Got off the Ark with Noah and his family and were straight from heaven.

now your talking lol, i didnt even know hounds could catch hogs ... lol jk

for what my opinion is worth, which with hounds is very limited, is that july hounds make one of the best for hogs b/c what separated them from the normal fox hounds was they ran tracks much faster and quieter than other fox hounds and would catch their prey quicker. The full july hound gyp ive hunted behind is totally silent and as good as any cur. not sure it thats the norm or not ...

That used to be the general rule of thumb and standard that July’s were faster on track, tighter mouthed, and had more grit to them, that’s also when there were foxhounds in every county from Texas to the Carolinas, most of today’s running dogs no matter the “breed” are all bred for the exact same traits and those are traits necessary to win in a pen and not what it takes to catch game outside of a pen, unless you find a purist who sticks to the breed standards of the different registries they all look very similar in color and confirmations, as well, nowadays it’s more about the man breeding them and what he’s using them for than it is their breed...

A man who just passed away a year or so ago around here had established his own line of dogs based off some July hound and cur crosses and his main reason for using the strain of July’s he used for the start was because they were tighter mouthed, the picture I posted above of my son standing in front of the saddle back gyp, she is part July, not sure of the % according to her papers, but when I first switched her from coyotes to hogs I used to let her bay yearlings with my cur pups and started her with my two cur gyps and she was dead silent for a while until I hunted her with my buddy’s plotts and Mother Nature took over lol...
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2019, 04:47:04 pm »

Cscott had a half July half running Walker named sassy. She was legit as they come if you want to talk about bottom. Silent, loose, and couldn’t stop a hog very quick but she would sure hump up and run the air smooth out of one. Better pack a lunch if you were loading her up.

Slim is she not alive any longer?
I do not believe so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: