March 28, 2024, 03:26:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catch style preference  (Read 1545 times)
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2019, 11:33:00 am »

tdog, it sounds like i would have loved that dog,lol. and even more to have 2 exactly like that all the time. as for many years my huntin partners pack at times didnt have ruff dogs so lot of time on a good boar the only dog holdin was the bulldog.
Quote from: t-dog link=topic=97538.msg564826#msg564826  date=1547041927
The dog I started my family of dogs with was what I would call middle ground of these two styles. You would have liked him Gary. He was a 90 pound freak of nature. As fast and agile as any 35 or 40 pounder and probably faster. To this day, I've never seen or hunted with a dog that fast. It was incredible to see. That's how hard he was going when he hit a hog too. I can't count the hogs, and not little hogs, that I saw up ended on impact. Hogs that would be flat of their side and struggling to get up with him eared up when I layed hands on them. So many times though, he wouldn't actually catch the hog when he initially hit. It would knock both him and the hog down, especially on the bigger ones. He was so athletic though that he would be up and caught before the hog could recover. As hard as he went though, he was still a thinker and a super good natured dog. He had good years left in him when I quit hunting him because he knock all his teeth out with his style. He still caught and held but I was too attached to chance wasting him. I'm glad I chose to do that or I wouldn't be where I am now with my family of dogs. Not all, but a majority of the dogs I've seen get teeth knocked out or pulled, did so by catching on top of the head or across the snout. Sometimes that is a prefered spot for a dog and sometimes it's just what the dog got to first or even all it could get ahold of. That tooth to bone thing doesn't usually work too well. I've seen them yanked out when jaw catching and on the initial engagement too. The ear is the best leverage and least likely to pull teeth, especially if they get that ear back in their jaw deep.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: