April 24, 2024, 06:24:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What age to Start a Catch Dog?  (Read 1122 times)
Teaspoon
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2019, 06:26:47 am »

I would like to hear some opinions on what age to start bringing a catch dog to the woods....I have a pit that has been catching 50 lbs pig in a pen since he was 4 months, he is now 7 months and weighs about 50 lbs and very gamey. I have heard their teeth do not "set in" until they get around 1 year of age....I sure don't want to mess him up. Thanks for any advice.
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 10:15:54 am »

Sounds like you have a nice prospect. I would recommend working on nothing but handle and socialization until he is at least a year old. Get him leading good, coming to you, wearing a vest, and riding in the box quietly. My personal approach is don’t take them on a hunt until you plan on asking them to catch. It’s easy to get them too excited and develop bad habits if you ask them to watch without participating. I’m sure he will be fine at 1 year being turned into bays with another catch dog. Do that a couple times then cut him solo on hogs you know he can handle. By 15 months he will probably be ready for solid boar hogs ( 200 lb range) as long as he passes all the previous tests, he will be ready for the big time by 2 years old. Probably sooner. I’m conservative with my catch dogs and always cut 2 on big hogs. Hope this helps you out bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 11:32:56 am »

In my opinion one of the hardest things to do is wait on a catchdog but that is in most cases what should be done. You want to give them enough time for their teeth to set usually around 12-14 months. When they're pups you can let them hit tiny shoats every so often but once they start getting their adult teeth I like to let them have time to set.

From the time you get them as a pup you should be working on handling and listening to commands, this will make using them much more of a pleasurable experience. Just remember you want to make their first experiences super positive. Thats my 2 cents. Good luck.
Teaspoon
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 12:21:49 pm »

My children have taught him to walked with a loose leash since he was 2 months old. He is very level headed and observant. I think he is going to be the walk or trot in and catch kind of dog (which I thoroughly enjoy). I can let him catch a wild shoat in the pen and then bring him back to my yard where we have a domestic pig (the same size) running loose, leave them both loose, and he will not catch it. I have made him sit and watch while other dogs were baying or catching...for the most part he was sitting but whined the whole time. What advice do you give to correct that? Would you use a shock collar in any of these training situations?
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:05:42 pm »

If that's all you're worried about ,dont. Sounds like you have a good 1. Let him mature when he knows his job the whining work comes next...I think
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 07:30:30 am »

Teaspoon sounds like a nice young dog. I agree with all the advice given so far with one exception but I only half disagree with it.  It's the taking him to the woods but not letting him catch. If you aren't going to be able to stay back with him and train him while your partners dispatch the hog then leave him at home. Shotgun is right, it will likely make him impatient and the whinny stuff worse. But, if you can let others handle the situation at hand while you spend time training him, it will pay off when the real time gets there. I have taken mine and walked them in just like I would if they were going to be sent in. When the catch dogs were sent in and they get excited about the fight, I pet them then turn them away  and walk telling them caught hog. I stop when the commotion stops. I make them sit and listen. If they are quiet and paying attention I praise them. If they aren't I talk to them and redirect their attention again until they are listening quietly. Then I will walk them in to the dead hog and usually let them ear it. I know their teeth aren't set well enough for catching, but in my opinion this isn't the same as a live hog that's fighting and giving resistance. It allows me to try and control one animal and not 2. Second, a mad hog isn't keeping him stirred up when I get him off the ear and he's a lot more ok with letting go because the challenge is gone. Plus, if should do any regripping type stuff I can get him back right away. I think this sometimes helps teach them that if they want to have their mouth on a hog to get a secure hold right off or they aren't gonna get a chance. Same thing with ear grooming, go to the ear or get off. This has worked for me but it is time consuming. But that's what's fun to me, watching young dogs get better.
Big Game Joe
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 06:16:06 pm »

This is the most sensible training advise for a bulldog, I have heard in a long time. Actually it applies to any dog. Listen to TDog, he knows what he is speaking about.
Teaspoon
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 06:15:45 am »

Great advice guys.....Thanks for the info, I will do my best to put this wisdom into me, my children, and my dogs.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 09:22:56 am »

I like to see if they will catch when there young in a controlled environment by 5 months or so to see if they have some spunk the nest 6 to 8 months they go every where I go every chance I can make them my best buddy. Then you will have a read on em and good handle don’t spear the rod but you want a confident and controllable animal. The commands are as important as the handle sit hush come hear will have great rewards on down the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: