April 19, 2024, 04:08:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Almost time  (Read 1681 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:52:27 pm »

Goose, ol' Hondo was special. He had looks but he had brains too. He wasn't 2 yet when I was sitting in an open pasture with him. I let my buddy and my nephew go into the bay in a little set of woods. I knew the hogs would bust out of there when they sent the catch dog. Sure enough a stringer of hogs came across there. They were about 5 yards apart as they got close to us at about 60 or 70 yards. The last one was the biggest boar so I wanted him. I sent Hondo and naturally he took the angle on the lead hog. I called him off one by one until I thought he was looking at the big boar then let him go to it. He caught the hog right in front of the boar because it got scared and stopped for a second. As soon as the boar started to pass it, it took off again. So Hondo got to it first. It wasn't the hog I picked but it really wasn't Hondo's fault. Sure was fun to watch him handle so good. I loved that dog a bunch. He had the potential to be real close to Vegas.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I've owned one and seen one other in my life that had a handle like that and he was my old Geronimo dog, he sure wasn't the prettiest thing nor the absolute best catch dog, but he did a good enough job that he lived a long life and caught a pile of hogs and I can count on my hand the times he got a good cut,  knowing what I know now I would have been breeding the fire out of him but I never got a puppy out of him, my best friend has a daughter to him off his last litter and she's pushing 12 now, I'm crossing my fingers hoping I can get a successful mating off a male around the same age that goes back to be geronimo s a few different times on his top and bottom, right now it's just a hope and dream because I'm very skeptical of either one of them being fertile any longer...

Geronimo was sent to a bay once alongside two other CDs to a bay that belonged to a local "legend" and his legendary dogs, heck I had two pups in there myself, well ole mo came back to me a few minutes after being released and the bay still had never changed, Mr. Legend started talking smack that he wouldn't own a dog like that and that I should cull him and this and that, meanwhile the bay still hadn't changed so we walked in there to only discover they were in a pasture right behind a mans house and had 3 of the prettiest angus bull yearlings you could ask for bayed down and his 2 Bulldogs were caught on one getting the ever more life beat out of them by the other two, I was able to yell my two pups off immediately and was back across the fence before they ever got in the pasture, as I was passing the legend on his way in, the smart ass I am looked at him and repeated what he had said to me and sat back and watched the number 2 show commence, something eerily simmer happened like that with a horse but I helped that fella retrieve his dogs meanwhile getting the hell beat and bit out of me by the horse trying to break his bulldog, I can't tell you how many times I called him off going to a bay of the bay dogs caught out or just to prove someone wrong, I could walk him up to s tied hog and every single grain of his being would be tensed up and shaking vigorously and he would never lay a tooth on it or even whimper very loud unless I let him now once he caught his handle was completely gone until you tied him back and give him a little bit to calm down but he still never barked or went nuts even after being broke off the hog, he would be straining and pulling to get back at it but never went psyco...

I just snicker when I hear people say catch dogs are a dime a dozen, no bull and bully type dogs are a dime or dozen and man could hunt his entire life and never own one like what we have described and dogs of that mental capacity aren't heard of everyday...

If you ever have any extras out of a litter I'd LOVE to be able to buy one, from you or W.O.W...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: