March 29, 2024, 10:37:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Training pups?  (Read 606 times)
Rodeodog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2019, 09:37:36 pm »

Just picked up a 8 month old pup never been on hogs. He’s 3/4 red cur and 1/4 red bone. Was wanting some advice on best way to train pups I really just got back into it and haven’t run dogs since I was a kid. And I know a bay pen isn’t really going to teach a dog to find sign or run a trail. And my walker pretty much runs by himself and stays gone most the hunt not much of a chance he’s going to run with him. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 05:56:49 am »

If you can pen them together for a while or at least chain them as close as you can together and hopefully the pup will develop an attachment to your older dog, working him in a Bay pen some is not going to hurt him as long as you don't over do it, work him in the pen with the older dog some, if you can turn a few shoats loose in front of your pup, hobble two feet so it can't just blow out of there leaving the pup scratching his head, if he has it in him then Mother Nature and instincts will kick in...
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 09:14:49 am »

Two rules I go by when training a dog for anything; one be smarter than the dog, two keep it simple. I feel some people way over complicate things.

The way I start a hog dog is pretty easy, show him a couple of hogs in a pen with your older dog. Let him bay it and really encourage him and pet him up after if he bays it good. Then start hauling him to the woods with your other dog. Similar to what goose said, I like to box a young dog with an experienced old dog to and from hunting. Also letting him bay a hog once or twice in a pen with your other dog is good as well. Good luck.
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 12:57:31 pm »

We pack young dogs around before we ever “start them”. Weather it’s running to town to grab a 12 pack. Going to patch some fence. Working cows, or going to the roping pen. Load that young dog up and pack him along. Helps with 2 things, he’s going to learn how to handle or get himself in a bind trying, and he’s going to get to see a lot of real world stuff. This way your not just dumping him out ignorant to the world the first time and seeing a cow or a horse or a deer doesn’t just blow his mind. He’s been there done that. Makes everything after that a breeze if you can let them see some stuff in a controlled manner and get a handle on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: