March 28, 2024, 04:11:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age old Question?  (Read 1985 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 07:10:38 am »

Stocksense is a lost trait in 90% of “hogdog” stock these days. We’re still baying rally’s in country that has been hog hunted with dogs consistently for over 40 years. The trick is it’s been the same few ranchers, with the same family of stock bred curs, that had cow dogs and hog dogs, that have always been the same set of dogs, that’s had rights to this couple sections of land right here along the yegua. These hogs have been as hunted as any have, and yes some run and the ones that do are usually big boar hogs and they run for a few areas and if the dogs do like they are supposed to they will see him through. Yes we get out run more than I wish because fact of the matter is no these dogs aren’t what they used to be. I have adopted the mindset of the men who have brought me around, and that is I would rather kill one and my dogs work right, than kill 10 and my dogs work like crap. I picked my 2 up Saturday morning cause they bayed a group and didn’t bay worth a lick. Killed 2 and left because We weren’t accomplishing anything except teaching good hogs how to walk off from a sorry bay. I like dogs that know How to get bayed. Those kind of dogs will work anywhere. You can keep your dogs with 30 miles of bottom, or the ones that catch on sight, we will keep the ones that know how to get bayed and have enough brain to respect the stock because that is what has worked since the free range days, and the hogs today are hogs all the same as they were hogs back then. I believe 99% of hogs today still want to bay. It might be in their bed, or 2 miles away where they originate from. Dogs that know How to get bayed will tell you more often than not. As the old saying goes, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim I agree with 99% of your post, while I cannot speak for your area, I can dang sure speak for mine, and NO these hogs are not the same type of hog that used to roam these hills, my situation is very similar to yours being as this one particular area has been hog hunted by the same folks and familys for years, and using the same family of dogs with little change, the old men who farmed this land and hog hunted got tired of easy baying hogs and imported pure Russian hogs up until the mid to late 90s to breed the sows they caught and would turn them back  out, talk to any of them today and they will tell you quick like the hogs roaming out there today are much much different than the what they used to hunt, once the Russian influence started taking hold and they got their harder races like they wanted most of them had gotten to old to hunt and would tag along with us from time to time, and would swear we were running a deer  until a bay up, there is no way your going to walk into a bay and shoot a hog here, one the terrain is entirely to thick, 2nd the hogs won't stand for it, if you think other wise my address is 62524 Bill Ard rd Angie La 70426, load up the best you got or can borrow or any uncle you got and come prove me wrong, I'm not being a smart as$, just being real and if you think you can c'mon, we still bay sounders and groups but nowhere near what we used to and have dogs that are good, I won't just talk about them online I'll show in person, used to hogs were only found around the creeks and swamps around the farm land, which isn't anything compared to some areas, and down along the river, the hogs just couldn't and wouldn't survive in the pine thickets and cut overs, now they're everywhere and all over the pine land and that's because the Russian influenced hogs are a much hardier and adaptable creature than the old feral blooded hogs, heck that invitation ain't just for slim, it's open to anybody...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: