April 25, 2024, 04:30:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age old Question?  (Read 2158 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 03:58:20 pm »

Lots of good info on this thread, it’s my belief though that people definitely have different types of hogs. For example, i have about 180k of private land that’s all fields, swamp, and river owned by farmers. In that section they didn’t have hogs until 15 years ago. Originally they were easy pigs and you could stack em all day. The guy that brought me in to this sport hunts that land 12-14 hours a day 6-7 days a week. That’s what he does all day every day. The hogs will not hardly bay up now. They will run for 8 hours and never stop. We have one small bay dog that will occasionally bay one but about the only way to catch them is with a pack of alligators. We aren’t there to tie pigs or get meat, we have that land because farmers want pigs dead. So if a hog is dead or chewed to the bone before we get there it’s not a problem.
     Now with that being said, we hunt other pieces of land that have a totally different type of pig. We only run them a couple hundred yards sometimes and they’re caught. They don’t run far at all and we can catch 5-10 pigs pretty easy. All with the same group of dogs. That private land has had many people with good dogs invited out there and they get skunked. That’s just how that land is. It’s a lot more difficult than the average hunt. Out there we work all day for one or two pigs, unless corn is planted and then of course we catch them easier around the fields.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: