March 28, 2024, 02:42:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diabetes in a plot  (Read 789 times)
lettmroll
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2019, 08:28:28 am »

Got a nice young plot 3.5 years old that is a nice hog dog. Figured out about two months ago he's a diabetic. Anyone see the before any good suggestions.

Hold on
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:26:29 am »

Man  I got a gyp that is 2.5 yrs old and about 3 months ago she had a diabetic seizure.. I have fed sportsmix for about 18 yrs now and have never had a issue with any other dogs so I started giving her bread about every other evening.  So far she hasn't had another episode since,,, She is out of Houston Valley and Star Mountain line...

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 12:16:37 pm »

I had some hard going dogs from a certain cross that after some real hard running would fall out. I had them checked right after and it was low blood sugar. If I was hunting several days in a row, I would mix some electrolytes with karo  syrup and squirt in their mouth before I turned them loose. No more falling out or slowing down. It's more common than you might think.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 06:51:21 pm »

I knew a guy once that had a coon hound that was diabetic. He carried candy with him when he hunted. If the dog came in and hung around for any length of time, he knew his sugar level was off. He'd give him some candy and in a minute away he would go again.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 08:08:03 pm »

I had a bad yard wreck many years ago and had to take a dog to the vet. She started into convulsions after I dropped her off and the vet used Karo syrup to bring that sugar level up. 
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 08:33:12 pm »

Exertional hypoglycemia or sugar fits is not really diabetes, lack of conditioning, over exertion and maybe diet cause it. The dogs I had that fell out was from very hard use, wouldn't do it all the time. Maybe diet had something to do with it, I don't know. Maybe they just used up all their energy reserves but the karo syrup did the trick.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: