March 29, 2024, 07:58:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo Hunt That Got Hairy  (Read 523 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2019, 09:30:10 am »

Went for a quick hunt Friday morning. Just myself and 3 dogs. I took Dum Dum, Mine, and Thorn. I went nice and slow, took my time since nobody was with me. I let them cast out some and work out some tracks. Well Dum Dum rolls out, probably around 600yds but I’m not exactly sure because I was following him the whole time. I get to where he’s 200yds ahead of me and start hearing him bark, I’m talking steady chopping. I start spazzing out wondering what in the world he’s doing, Dum Dum doesn’t ever bark like that. So I start moving to him and all of a sudden I smell nothing but rank boar and crap everywhere.
     He’s got a whole sounder bayed up, he picks his pig, 220-250lb boar. He catches him down in some knee deep water. He’s got his ear and his body is slid up next to the pig so the pig can’t put teeth in him. I run over to him and the pig is trying to break across the water. So I try to grab a leg and this pig starts dragging me and Dum Dum. All I can think is that I have to pull my buddy Timmy’s famous move, so I jump on his back and start riding this damn boar. I must’ve stabbed this pig 30 times in each side. Digging my knife up and down trying to cut everything. His shield was so thick I couldn’t hardly get to his vitals. He slows down but is still dangerous, so I start stabbing him in the throat. Finally get him dropped and move on to Thorn and Mine. They have a 180lb sow caught in the water. Well the dogs are looking wore out trying to hold this pig, they’re getting weak from the current. They end up against the bank on the far side. I put my phone and garmin down on bank and start towards them. Not sure how deep it was but it dropped off quick. Had to swim to them. Between the cold water and the current I struggled pretty good to make it to them. I get this pig killed quick and make it up on the bank. Me and the dogs regroup for about 10 minutes and then comes the fun part. Swimming back across. This is the middle of the swamp, and a canal that runs through it. All I can think about is a gator snatching me up. My butt hole was puckered so tight idk how I could even swim. I managed to get back across and got the dogs back. They were steady trying to relay on more and I kept calling them off. I was so cold and soaking wet that was the end of it for me. Young dogs got it done again. I wish I would’ve gotten a good video and pictures of Dum Dum holding that good boar by himself, but I knew I had two pigs caught out in water and didn’t want to take the time and risk something happening to the dogs. I have went hunting by myself but I’ve never actually killed a pig by myself. I pretty much always have a friend with me, it was a wild experience for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Hollowpoint
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 07:07:13 pm »

Glad you got it done and made it out safely
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 08:05:28 pm »

Glad everything worked out. Things can go south in a hurry when your by yourself.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 08:40:36 pm »

I'll bet you would've been stink.bait had you seen a gator lol. Glad it worked out

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 08:42:37 pm »

Good hunt things can get Western some time

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 08:54:26 pm »

Probably the wildest hunt I’ve had. Between running up to a sounder by myself, riding a boars back, and swimming that canal, my nerves were about shot lol. But hey what can you do, I have my dogs back 100%, I won’t leave em hanging when they’re out there working and doing their job. Just have to saddle up and make it happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: