April 24, 2024, 09:42:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What’s In Your Cur Dogs  (Read 5124 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 11:35:11 am »

Those are sure nice dogs goose. I curious about how your 4 week old pups turn out. Have you shown them a hog yet?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Well if you count the pieces of pork fat and trimmings I give them the other day then yes lol, but other than that they haven't left their house except to venture around the kennel, I don't show mine a pig until they start wanting to run a piece of game by themselves, that's when the light switch is flipping on from puppy stage to ready to hunt stage, at least in my opinion, I used to be one of those that started messing with pups when they were just weaned and messed a lot of pups up and culled to many that could've been good dogs had I just let them mentally mature, some just do it faster than others,
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 01:43:52 pm »

Those are sure nice dogs goose. I curious about how your 4 week old pups turn out. Have you shown them a hog yet?

Well if you count the pieces of pork fat and trimmings I give them the other day then yes lol, but other than that they haven't left their house except to venture around the kennel, I don't show mine a pig until they start wanting to run a piece of game by themselves, that's when the light switch is flipping on from puppy stage to ready to hunt stage, at least in my opinion, I used to be one of those that started messing with pups when they were just weaned and messed a lot of pups up and culled to many that could've been good dogs had I just let them mentally mature, some just do it faster than others,
Dang tapatalk cut me off, I'm excited to see what these do myself, I bred Ben once already to a gyp that's as scatter bred as can get and wasn't really any good, she was ok but just about all those pups have made some decent to nice dogs, so I'm hoping by staying within his immediate family to centralize their genes to attain some consistency...
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2019, 05:26:36 pm »

Pretty cool stuff guys. Goose in particular, it is always fun to see the process where generation after generation of dogs keep doing it. I’m looking forward to seeing the newest set produce for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get ahead dog!
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 07:12:25 pm »

Lol, I agree with you on the mental maturity goose. I am 7 to 8 generations deep on this family of mine. I make every breeding with the breeding after that in mind. It's always subject to change of course either because of things that happen beyond your control or you find something that needs tweaked. What you said about the scatter bred gyp makes sense too. I hunt mostly females. One because I like hunting females lol, and two because I believe the females are the biggest part of it. One of my very successful mentors once told me that you can breed a super dog to an average female and you would more times than not would get average dogs and poorer. You can breed average dog to a super gyp and you might get a couple real good dogs, a few average, and a couple of culls. I have experienced and witnessed this exact thing in my nearly 30yrs in this sport. The other thing I live by with my dogs is the average. If when I evaluate a litter come time to breed and the siblings to mine aren't good enough for me to feed but mine is a whirlwind, I won't breed mine. The odds of that one reproducing well aren't very high. I don't take anyone's word for what those dogs are doing either. I want to see and evaluate for myself. If 5 people watch the same set of dogs work, its probable that they will have 5 different evaluations. Example: A very good friend has several dogs out of my stuff. Their 2 lead dogs are 5 or 6 and 3. Both dogs flat get it done. They have another one that is about 1 1/2yr old. Everytime I have been with them this young dog hits the ground hunting and is non stop busy busting brush. He's found a few hogs and will always put one up after you catch and bust out a sounder. They made the comment a couple months ago that they just know if he was going to make the grade. I asked why and they said because he just don't strike enough hogs like I want a lead dog to. I told them that he's not much over a year old. If he is cast at the same time as the 2 older dogs and he's beating them to the first strike and bay, then those were the 2 that would need to be questioned. He isn't going to beat 2 dogs of that caliber to a hog first rattle out of the box on a consistent basis. Cast him ahead of those dogs and give him a chance to be lead dog. If he don't bay anything then cast them. His want to is there. He needs a fare chance to get better. This is a good hunter and friend, they just don't quite see the same picture that I do and since I'm breeding for what "I" want, I feel like I need to form my own opinion. Another example: I raised a litter of 6 pups. Kept 2 females, gave a male and female to one friend, and the other 2 males to 2 more friends. One of mine got out and got run over and killed. One of the males was just a country dog. He ran loose all his life. Started himself on hogs. He was always gone hunting and coming home cut or packing baby pigs that he caught. The pair are real nice dogs. The female is the best but the male gets it done too. The last male was a hard hunting, stay put nice  dog. He was the only dog they had pretty much and was already becoming a pretty reliable find dog at a year old. The last time I hunted with him, him and my old gyp took almost 2 hours of hard hunting and digging to find a boar hog. When they finally located at .75 from us, they kept that hog within 30 yards of his bed. He was the only hog around for a good ways. That male got killed soon after that by a freakish little cut. He wasn't stupid or rough, he just got caught. That is what I expect from a litter to be breed worthy. Those dogs are young and as long as they keep seeing hogs they are only gonna get better. Most people like hunting males because they are more attractive to most people plus they don't have to worry about heat cycles etc. It's a lot easier to find a good male to breed to for that reason. A person that has that special gyp isn't as likely to let you breed to her unless your male is "that" dog. Plus I'm in control of what happens to the litter.

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2019, 08:56:38 pm »

Lol, I agree with you on the mental maturity goose. I am 7 to 8 generations deep on this family of mine. I make every breeding with the breeding after that in mind. It's always subject to change of course either because of things that happen beyond your control or you find something that needs tweaked. What you said about the scatter bred gyp makes sense too. I hunt mostly females. One because I like hunting females lol, and two because I believe the females are the biggest part of it. One of my very successful mentors once told me that you can breed a super dog to an average female and you would more times than not would get average dogs and poorer. You can breed average dog to a super gyp and you might get a couple real good dogs, a few average, and a couple of culls. I have experienced and witnessed this exact thing in my nearly 30yrs in this sport. The other thing I live by with my dogs is the average. If when I evaluate a litter come time to breed and the siblings to mine aren't good enough for me to feed but mine is a whirlwind, I won't breed mine. The odds of that one reproducing well aren't very high. I don't take anyone's word for what those dogs are doing either. I want to see and evaluate for myself. If 5 people watch the same set of dogs work, its probable that they will have 5 different evaluations. Example: A very good friend has several dogs out of my stuff. Their 2 lead dogs are 5 or 6 and 3. Both dogs flat get it done. They have another one that is about 1 1/2yr old. Everytime I have been with them this young dog hits the ground hunting and is non stop busy busting brush. He's found a few hogs and will always put one up after you catch and bust out a sounder. They made the comment a couple months ago that they just know if he was going to make the grade. I asked why and they said because he just don't strike enough hogs like I want a lead dog to. I told them that he's not much over a year old. If he is cast at the same time as the 2 older dogs and he's beating them to the first strike and bay, then those were the 2 that would need to be questioned. He isn't going to beat 2 dogs of that caliber to a hog first rattle out of the box on a consistent basis. Cast him ahead of those dogs and give him a chance to be lead dog. If he don't bay anything then cast them. His want to is there. He needs a fare chance to get better. This is a good hunter and friend, they just don't quite see the same picture that I do and since I'm breeding for what "I" want, I feel like I need to form my own opinion. Another example: I raised a litter of 6 pups. Kept 2 females, gave a male and female to one friend, and the other 2 males to 2 more friends. One of mine got out and got run over and killed. One of the males was just a country dog. He ran loose all his life. Started himself on hogs. He was always gone hunting and coming home cut or packing baby pigs that he caught. The pair are real nice dogs. The female is the best but the male gets it done too. The last male was a hard hunting, stay put nice  dog. He was the only dog they had pretty much and was already becoming a pretty reliable find dog at a year old. The last time I hunted with him, him and my old gyp took almost 2 hours of hard hunting and digging to find a boar hog. When they finally located at .75 from us, they kept that hog within 30 yards of his bed. He was the only hog around for a good ways. That male got killed soon after that by a freakish little cut. He wasn't stupid or rough, he just got caught. That is what I expect from a litter to be breed worthy. Those dogs are young and as long as they keep seeing hogs they are only gonna get better. Most people like hunting males because they are more attractive to most people plus they don't have to worry about heat cycles etc. It's a lot easier to find a good male to breed to for that reason. A person that has that special gyp isn't as likely to let you breed to her unless your male is "that" dog. Plus I'm in control of what happens to the litter.

If a fella wants to dig deep enough and learn about mitochondrial DNA then it would be clearer to see why the female has the upper hand when it comes to inheriting certain genes, certain traits are only passed on the X chromosome which is inherited from the mother, but with that being said there are numerous lines out there that have been built with the stud as the emphasis, Larry Parker and what he has built is living proof, I'm like you, I already got 3-4 crosses in mind ahead of time before a littler is born, I have a pedigree explorer on my laptop that i can see the inbreeding coefficients, not that it plays a part in my decision making but it does help me to see what and expect out of a litter based on what I know about the ancestor, I evaluate an entire litter and if it's not a high percentage turn out I want repeat and usually won't keep any of the pups, on Shiloh and Lacy I've owned the dogs behind them for several generations now but have just now gotten to where I'm going to be line breeding, everything else behind them was building the foundation to what I'm about to start centering on, I've made several line bred crosses so far that has produced some really nice dogs, the little black gyp Coal being one of them, and before I breed anything I go see for myself, that's the very reason I place pups with the ones that I do, I know the bar they have set for themselves and if the dog ain't performing up to par they'll call and tell me and ask me to come see for myself before we make the decision to pull the plug...
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 11:18:46 pm »

Great story and pictures goose! I have no truly finished dogs, I’m fairly new to this sport with just a few years under my belt and I was blessed to have a knowledgeable man take me under his wings and give me the opportunity to own some good dogs. I don’t have any finished dogs, but I have some well started dogs that do pretty good and find pigs. My main strike dog out of that group is 1/2 BMC and 1/2 pit. The BMC is his daddy, Ladner bred, cold nosed, open on track, and more bottom than most want. You’ll chase that dog for 12 hours and 10 miles before he gets one of these runners to bay up. The momma was Wooten bred, Old game lines, RCD. There were three litters from that cross and almost every dog turned out good. They’re all silent on track, and straight catch. I have a male and female, the male is my favorite dog. He hangs out within 300yds unless he strikes a track. Normally he won’t go past 800-900yds on one, but I think that’s just because he still needs more time and experience. I had him on easy pigs for a while and he would catch them quick. So I think he’s got the mindset now that if he doesn’t catch them quick he can quit and try for another pig. But he’s really becoming a good dog for me and I will end up breeding off of him. I’m thinking about crossing him with some type of hound to bring out a colder nose and more bottom

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
TFree80
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 06:55:17 am »

Pretty good read goose sounds like you bout got it figured out
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 02:46:37 pm »

Pretty fitting to the topic, I just picked up this young dog yesterday. He’s a year old, not started. His siblings are making good dogs and he supposedly comes from some pretty good hog dogs. He sure does look good, I hope he turns out pretty decent. He’s Walker x BMC. Looking forward to getting him on some pigs and seeing how he does

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 09:30:43 pm »

Pretty fitting to the topic, I just picked up this young dog yesterday. He’s a year old, not started. His siblings are making good dogs and he supposedly comes from some pretty good hog dogs. He sure does look good, I hope he turns out pretty decent. He’s Walker x BMC. Looking forward to getting him on some pigs and seeing how he does

Good looking rascal
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 10:32:45 pm »

Good looking rascal

He sure has some running gear on him. Pics don’t do his size justice. He’s real tall and long with a lot of leg. I hunted with his siblings a little while back and they were already finding and baying pigs at less than a year old. This one hasn’t been started, but I’m hoping he will turn out decent. The litter mates make 1000yd loops and will go a mile or two on a hot track. They’re used to being cast from a boat so idk how it will affect his style since I walk hunt and don’t do any casting. The siblings aren’t rough, almost everything else I have is. I’m hoping he will turn out good and I can just have my dogs stick with him to shut the runners down. My pack is lacking a dog with a lot of bottom, I’m hoping that’s where he can pick up some slack

TAPOUT YOUNG
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 02:53:48 pm »

HAVE YALL DONE ANY HALF BROTHER HALF SISTER CROSS ? IF SO HOW DID IT WORK . I HAVE DONE THREE NOW AND NOT HAPPY WITH PERCENTAGE OF DOGS TURNING OUT . I BEEN HAVING TWO OUT OF LITTER TURNING OUT . BUT I CAN SAY THE TWO ARE VERY NICE DOGS . BUT IT SEEMS LIKE A LOT OF WORK FOR JUST TWO DOGS . MY OLD CROSS BEFORE I LINE BREED I WOULD EIGHT OUT OF TEN TO TWELVE MAKE NICE DOGS .THE DOGS IM BREEDING ARE OUT OF MY OLD CROSS.
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 04:17:41 pm »

Black Perry Dogs (UPDATE on 2nd Book!! 60 copies available)
 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=18326&share_tid=34855&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eeasttexashogdoggers%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D34855&share_type=t

Our dogs kind of originated here in the thread above. I’m still just trying to keep going what these old guys started. Big e doesn’t hunt anymore with his crawfish business. I hardly hunt compared to what we used to. It’s been fun this spring to really push these pair of young dogs I have and hunt a little. They tap back in on the Jasper side of CB.

I guess if anything to add to the post above, over time I’ve learned a whole lot more about the woodruff side of CB. Where the Jasper dog came from, etc. A whole bunch of best on best, stock bred dogs. Not necessarily one line but from working men all around east Texas, huntsville/Coldsprings specifically. There’s some stock bred type stuff from south and west texas sprinkled in their old stuff and mine now. The old man that I’ve done my last two breedings with has been very enlightening and is true dog man.

The great grand sire to my 7 month olds now was the type of dog that they would drop on some cows that leaked out from the main group. They’d go work that main set then go to him the next day still bayed.

Boogie was that gray faced dog with EV on his shoulder. We all hunt a bunch of boogie pups now. He was a real solid producer considering he was a male dog.

I got a new phone so I lost all my old pictures. I had to snipe these from Facebook. Most these dogs are all gone now and hunting the offspring of them. Generally they are black, red and yellow.. occasionally some brindles and Black and Tan on out crosses. Just a bunch of jumbled up stuff to makes some solid dogs that produce for you. Lol

Get ahead dog!
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 04:26:30 pm »

This is my butter bean gyp, she's full blooded running walker and I bred her to Cajuns old jack dog and have two pups I kept myself off that cross, I'm not sure what direction I'm going to go here and how  going to utilize them in my breedings being as they're an F1 cross themselves and butter bean isn't any kin to any of the other walker blood I've used, the two I kept seem to have some excellent noses on them but aren't as fast as I'd like them to be on track, maybe that will come with mor experience...

Fritz...

Older picture of Kate...

I really enjoyed reading all about those dogs and the history. A lot of time, effort and thought into all that and making the dogs you feed now. Good luck on this newest set of pups!!

Get ahead dog!
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 05:26:55 pm »

Tshelly

The black EV branded dogs looks to have seen a hog or 2! Smiley
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 06:04:13 pm »

Tony do you know the name Andy Walker from the Huntsville area? He may even be over as far as Trinity.

TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 06:31:50 pm »

Tshelly

The black EV branded dogs looks to have seen a hog or 2! Smiley

Lol oh yeah. That was Jett. Stone silent and pretty rough.

Get ahead dog!
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 06:33:23 pm »

Tony do you know the name Andy Walker from the Huntsville area? He may even be over as far as Trinity.

Yeah. Big e raised a few dogs from him a long time ago. They turned into solid dogs. My good buddy just recently married his step daughter. Andy has always had that leopard and cow stock.

Get ahead dog!
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 08:20:37 pm »

A bunch of those dogs Andy uses are HEAVY doughbelly dogs. Jodi Reat gave him some pups out of his old sister gyp bred to two different males. Both were doughbelly males and sister was out of my old Clyde dog and a doughbelly gyp. Later they did some more breeding together. Jodi has a male now that is probably 3 to 5 years old out of the last breeding they did.

TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2019, 06:50:58 am »

A bunch of those dogs Andy uses are HEAVY doughbelly dogs. Jodi Reat gave him some pups out of his old sister gyp bred to two different males. Both were doughbelly males and sister was out of my old Clyde dog and a doughbelly gyp. Later they did some more breeding together. Jodi has a male now that is probably 3 to 5 years old out of the last breeding they did.

Ok that makes sense. I know Andy in passing, but always heard good things about his dogs and saw the few that we hunted. I know Jodi a little as well but never hunted with him.

I need to hook you up with my cousin out in Lexington. Him and Clayton hunted around Jodi’s grandpas old place on Saturday and caught 23.

Get ahead dog!
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2019, 08:06:11 am »

I know exactly where your talking about. That's a real hoggy area. I'd enjoy meeting and hunting with both of you.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: