April 24, 2024, 11:45:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question  (Read 657 times)
K-Bar
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2019, 08:21:59 pm »

I know nothing about greyhounds or stags etc except they are really fast. I was told by a fella a while back that those dogs are going to catch whatever they come across. Meaning they’d better get after and stay with the hog or they will catch a calf or whatever.
Is there any truth to that? Are they not able to be trash broke? I know several people that have run them in cattle country for years and I’ve never heard one of them say that.
Thanks for the replies.
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 04:44:21 am »

Incorrect. I’ve had pure stags and run crosses now and they are cow broke. Heck even my straight bulldogs , and I’m sure a lot of folks on here have them as well, are cow broke and will run through cows to catch hogs.  Just like any dog, the amount of training and hogs you put them on help them understand what they are supposed to be doing.

With that being said, I’ve never had it happen but if a dog was baying a cow I’m sure they’d give it a try if turned into it.........
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 05:49:43 am »

Some really good friends of mine have had greyhound crosses a couple different times. The problem with the greyhound crosses is that their life expectancy was real short. There was no smart to them at all. They were great out in the open pastures as far running a hog down, but they couldn't take any punishment. I guess they had a thinner hide because they cut like paper and it was down hill fast when they got a cut that was pretty bad. Never had a problem with them being trashy but they were kept in hogs too. They never had a lot of opportunity to run off game unless they were just going to ignore the hogs. Greyhounds have been bred, for the most part for an isolated trait. That trait being speed, not brains or hunt, etc. I trained 3 once that were black mouth, plott, and grey hound. I never disliked 3 dogs more in all my years. Every one of them looked different, color and build, and all 3 were idiots. I did everything a person could do to gentle them down and couldn't, they were just wired wrong. When I'd work them, one would come right up to me and want to be petted, one would be a little reserved and one would be coyote wild. One would bay and work like a million bucks, another would be so so, and the other wouldn't hit a lick. But, don't worry because tomorrow was a new day and every single one of them would have a different attitude. The coyote might be the one that was all over you then and the one that worked the best would be the one that wouldn't do anything. You just never knew what you were gonna get from them.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
K-Bar
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 08:49:36 am »

Thank you both for the replies. JSH I was believing just like you said but didn’t know for sure. I know the people I have known wouldn’t tolerate any “off” behavior around cattle. They had cattle themselves.
T-dog that’s some strange behavior for sure. Thanks again guys.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 09:35:45 am »

Your welcome. Don't get me wrong, they could have bred the 3 biggest crack heads out of each breed together to get those dogs, I don't know. Maybe they were the best and it just wasn't a knitch.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
K-Bar
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 12:54:10 pm »

t-dog I sent you a pm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: