April 25, 2024, 09:25:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How tight is too tight?  (Read 5303 times)
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2019, 08:15:42 pm »

I have many curs,  (even dogos) who are great dogs father daughter tight from tight bred dogs. I go out after that bc the dogs i have that tight loose some size. Always try to out cross to another line bred dog to keep the traits but keep all the rest. One FYI I had a dutch shepherd who was a stud that was out of a littermate breeding, but the parents were not from tight bred dogs.
TLindley
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2019, 06:08:43 am »

Anyone else had trouble breeding son back to mama? Made a cross like this a few years ago. Pups met all expectations in regard to hunting, but had one with a terrible immune system that got sick and died at about 15 months and two others in the litter that were just poor-doers (fed well and had wormer running out of their ears but always looked underweight and had rough hair coats). I've been told that a mother-son cross is harder on the gene pool than a father-daughter cross, aka more likely to have unwanted effects.

TLindley
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2019, 06:31:24 am »

I know that unwanted health effects happen in line breeding and breeding dogs in general. To rephrase my question, are certain crosses (such as breeding a son back to his mother) more likely to bring out health defects? Its also worth noting that the gyp was line bred. Dont know exactly how tight.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2019, 03:19:18 pm »

Anyone else had trouble breeding son back to mama? Made a cross like this a few years ago. Pups met all expectations in regard to hunting, but had one with a terrible immune system that got sick and died at about 15 months and two others in the litter that were just poor-doers (fed well and had wormer running out of their ears but always looked underweight and had rough hair coats). I've been told that a mother-son cross is harder on the gene pool than a father-daughter cross, aka more likely to have unwanted effects.

cant say ive done son to mom, but have done several daughter to father no problem, dogs lived long healthy life. That said there is a difference in F1 vs F2,3... crosses going this tight. Culling hard in F1 crosses that tight is normal but needed much less F2 out. Basically at the first tight cross all the good and bad rise to the surface and once you cull that out the good is much more concentrated making for significant less culling. Lots of easy to understand books on this in the Lab world, I really like Dr Long from Texas A&M's research articles on line breeding, plus hes been doing it with BMC's not labs but same concept
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2019, 06:09:57 pm »

I know that unwanted health effects happen in line breeding and breeding dogs in general. To rephrase my question, are certain crosses (such as breeding a son back to his mother) more likely to bring out health defects? Its also worth noting that the gyp was line bred. Dont know exactly how tight.

I got four pups on the ground now off of a mother to son cross, the mother is my Shiloh female and she's has no line breeding behind her, I took her to a very tight bred running walker male, I raised my Ben dog off this litter and bred him back to his mother to tighten up their baying, so far the pups are the walking definition of fat and happy, one thing we all have to take into consideration is that not all families and lines of dogs breed the same way so one mans horror story maybe another mans success story using the same breeding techniques but with different families of dogs...
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2019, 06:12:31 pm »

cant say ive done son to mom, but have done several daughter to father no problem, dogs lived long healthy life. That said there is a difference in F1 vs F2,3... crosses going this tight. Culling hard in F1 crosses that tight is normal but needed much less F2 out. Basically at the first tight cross all the good and bad rise to the surface and once you cull that out the good is much more concentrated making for significant less culling. Lots of easy to understand books on this in the Lab world, I really like Dr Long from Texas A&M's research articles on line breeding, plus hes been doing it with BMC's not labs but same concept

Dr. Long is a personal friend of one of my very best and dearest friends, and he has sent him several dogs over the years, can you post the links to some of the articles you've read and share them with us...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: