April 25, 2024, 09:02:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Estill WMA  (Read 783 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2019, 02:36:44 pm »

Went and hunted Hampton Ridge WMA yesterday with some guys from the upstate. They go every year and produce a lot of pork. I’ve talked to them a good bit and have some friends that hunted with them but I hadn’t ever met them before. They invite me down there so I figure what the heck, might as well take the off work and go meet some new friends and kill pigs.

I get down there Wednesday around 7:30pm, they spent the whole day scouting and finding the pig sign. Well I brought a cot and was just gonna sleep outside the truck somewhere. So they said they had room in the motel room for me to crash there. We get ride over there and hangout for a bit, have some cold drinks and talk about the game plan for the hunt. Well around 1:30am i hear dogs raising cane. I go outside and my whole truck is shaking. Dum Dum and Thorn locked up pretty bad. I get them tied off and get back to sleep. We get up at 3:20am, head out to the truck at 3:45am. Well some guys that had a little beef with the guys I was with jumped in trucks and took off as fast as they could. They ended up going to the spot we had planned on after seeing the guys scout it all day. Just trying to screw us over. Oh well, we head to the backup spot where they had seen a big wallow that previous morning.

We get collared up, waiting on official time to hunt, and some guys park a few hundred yards down from us. Well after flashing some lights at them they got up and relocated. We turn out Shane’s dog pepper at the wallow. She smells around, opens up, and starts burning the woods down so we dump the other dogs. We start following behind them and after 45 minutes they show treed, 800yds away. We get 200yds away and don’t hear anything. We get up close and hear a voice. The guys that had parked near us then moved had went right around the corner and dumped their dogs on ours. Well then they kill our pig before we get there. If that ain’t bad enough, they rushed out of there as we were coming in and took half our dang dogs with them.

So here we are, trying to catch up to the dogs and get them back. We finally get back up with them and they say they killed two more pigs. So they killed them running our dogs. We regroup and move to another area. Dogs start running and show treed. Before we can get there they’ve rolled back out. It happens again 30 minutes later close to the same spot. No dogs were cut or hurt, we think someone else got in there and killed the pigs. There were even some guys standing on the sides of the roads with only bulldogs, trying to send them to other peoples bays. Good way to get a whooping right there.

All in all we only had the one confirmed kill, and then we ran a little 100lb pig u til it was past hunting hours and we had to call the dogs off. Had a good time even with all the BS. I got to meet some cool dudes and hunt out of a truck and off roads which is a big change of pace for me. Hopefully next time we won’t have all the drama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 05:27:40 pm »

Y'all are better than me. I'm not made for BS like that.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:39:30 pm »

Y'all are better than me. I'm not made for BS like that.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I guess that’s public land for you. That’s one of the biggest turn outs for WMA in the state, lots of drama and pissing matches come with it I guess. We weren’t too happy about it though. I was ready to fight someone if they turned bulldogs out to our bay. I mean I run all dogs that are straight catch. But if you didn’t do any of the work, don’t think you’re joining in on my dogs pig. And especially think you’re gonna kill it before we get there. I was mad about that first pig because I didn’t even get to see my dogs on it workin. They had already walked off with our dogs. I mean he’ll have enough courtesy to wait a few minutes on us to get there instead of walking off with our dogs following you. Then they acted all nonchalant like they didn’t even know our dogs were with them. Come on man my puppy was showing caught .81 from where the first pig was. You mean to tell me you didn’t realize that there were dogs that didn’t belong to you caught on the pig with your dogs.... I mean I know what my dogs look like.

TFree80
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 11:18:41 am »

What city is this WMA in? I need to make sure I never hunt there lol
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 12:47:31 pm »

What city is this WMA in? I need to make sure I never hunt there lol

Lol, Estill is the city. It’s 3 WMA’s that make up one large place. We were at Hamilton Ridge WMA, it’s in SC, bordering Savannah river

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 04:18:08 pm »

Forgot to post this, I was only there to hunt Thursday, the rest of the guys were staying until Saturday. They got a nice boar Friday, had to use a few staples after catching him

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: