April 27, 2024, 10:42:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More on Epigenetics  (Read 1362 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2019, 08:09:35 am »

I’m glad you posted this Reuben, I was actually just about to start digging through all the older posts about puppies. I have my first litter on the ground right now, they will be 4 weeks old on Saturday. This was a cross that my mentor planned and wanted to make, and now he has decided to get out of raising and training dogs to spend more time with his family. The sire is a dog that I own, that he bred. The dam was his dog, he gave her to my while she was pregnant after he made his decision.

Originally I was not going to keep any of the litter because the cross is not the direction I want to take my dogs. The dogs will be gritty, but probably not as rough as I like. And they are probably going to be open on track. Both parents are papered ladners. Well after messing with the puppies every day and being a sucker for pups, I have decided to keep a few of them to see how they turn out. The grandfather is a superstar and a very proven producer, so they have good blood behind them.

This will be my first time having puppies since I first started with my two Ladner pups. I would like to do some of the test you’ve mentioned before to determine which pups I want to keep instead of just going by looks like I want to lol.

I know you have mentioned throwing bits of liver out and letting the pups wind them, at what age are you doing this? Are you throwing them out before letting the pups out of the pen? Or are you letting them run loose and throwing them around them? With the hog head, sometimes I may go weeks between killing a pig, would meat, hide, ears, and feet work in place of a head? I always have that stuff frozen for feeding dogs after a hunt or for random snacks.

I’m about to be spending a lot of time working pups. I was given the opportunity to get some pups out of great dogs from a man on here, and will be driving to Texas to pick them up this weekend. I won’t put his name on here without his approval, he might not want people harassing him for puppies. But he was kind enough to give me the opportunity to own two pups off an awesome family of dogs. They will cast, so I’m going to train them without the help of any older dogs. All my dogs hang too close and will bring them back. I’m going to read through all the old posts about mock hunts and I’m going to spend a lot of time working on casting them and teaching them to wind/rig from the box or boat. This is going to completely change my style of hunting, so I’m going to have to learn myself as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: