April 23, 2024, 04:09:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parasite from hogs  (Read 2498 times)
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2019, 10:52:13 am »

I have a cur that will flat out hunt but is the worse looking dog on my yard. I worm him every month and even purchased a gravity feeder for him so he can eat all day. When I got him he was fine looking and. The guy I bought him from said he had gotten a parasite from hogs a few months before and had looked rough but it cleared up after using some stuff that you add into his water. He is very skinny but eats regularly and today I talked to some local butchers about their scrap meat to start feeding. Was wondering if anyone had ran into this before and maybe had they’re own remedy or knew what the parasite may be.

Mathews mission venture
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 09:37:55 am »

Had 1 get cut through the side into his diaphragm, same thing got skinny looks I dont take care of him. Same thing I started him on butcher scraps and looks good,regular dog food goes right through him. Not sure if the cut did it or what ,but it started right after it happened.
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 09:12:41 am »

Yeah he hunts way better than he looks and I always fed him scraps from hogs but I found out about that pseudorabies fbis weekend so that’s about to stop. I’ve tried google and everything else to find out what he must have and the vet isn’t going to be around till next week

Mathews mission venture
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 06:15:21 pm »

trichinosis maybe?
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 09:58:24 pm »

Doesn't sound like a parasite to me.   Parasites are easy to get rid of it is just some sort of parasite either internal or external.  I assume you suspecting internal do to mentioning feeding pig parts.    I doubt this is internal parasite do to how easy they are to get rid of.     External parasite can be another issue though.  The external parasite is easy to get rid of but they can carry some bad stuff.    Ticks can carry lime disease and Rocky mountain fever or something like that.    I'm sure they are carries of much more too.   Fleas spread the bubonic plague and are carriers of other diseases I'm sure.    Mosquitos are carriers of many diseases like Zika, west nile, malaria, and many more.   Kissing bugs carry chagas disease.   We have all been around kissing bugs but not many of us know what they are.                 An infestation of internal parasites such as round worms or heart worms or tape worms is easy to prevent with none prescription workers, just got to be a little savy in what wormers do what.            Surely if it was an internal parasite problem it would have been solved long time ago.     
     I've heard of an issue with a dog and trying to recall it but it was something like the dog was skinny and owner couldn't get weight on it no matter what the owner did or how much fat related foods the owner give it.    Come to find out the dog had some sort of issue where it's body did good on a low fat type of lean diet but fatty stuff had the opposite affect on the dog you'd have suspected.     Pancreatic disease is what i think I'm attempting to describe.   
       Reguardless off all this, I speculate the dog has something wrong with it other than an internal parasite.    Could be external parasite related such as disease or virus but I'm not drawn to the internal parasite theory as of now.   
       Lot of people fear feeding raw pig to thier dogs for fear of contracting diseases or viruses the hog may be carrying.    I can certainly understand the concern and if your feeding to dogs that didn't catch the pig this is a true concern.  Plus feeding raw scrapes now and then to a dog really does the dog no good and can give the dog the squirts cause the bacteria in the dogs gut is abundant for processing kibble.   Takes a little while to get a dog switched over to raw food and his gut processing it like it supposed to.   Got to get that bacteria built up that breaks it down and makes good use of it and needs to be a balanced diet and the balance comes from feeding the guts and vegetable and plant matter in the guts along with the bacteria in the guts that are breaking this plant matter down for the pig and extracting the nutrients from the plant matter.   So feeding  raw meat now and then really is more harm than good in my opinion.           I feed my own dogs almost exclusively  raw pigs, guts, brains, meat, bones, and all.    I figure that if they were gonna catch a disease from the pig by eating it, they would have contracted it when they caught the hog weeks earlier.   Since internal and external parasites are easy to prevent and the odds of my own particular dogs contracting a disease by eating a pig they didn't contract when they caught it are slime.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 07:02:06 pm »

mms or chlorine dioxide after activated, bout 20 bucks and amazing, even 4 parvo etc. Id do a rectal deposit w/ syringe and oral.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 09:30:05 am »

What does his stool look like, if it’s loose or even runny that’s a problem in his gut, gut health is the major precursor to a healthy life, even in humans, have you given him any pro-biotics and pre biotics as well, he may not have enough healthy bacteria in his gut to process, digest, and absorb what nutrients are in his food, there’s a product out called “Origins” I believe, it’s a feed additive that enables their bodies to digest food more efficiently, I would look into if I were in this situation and have tried everything else, it’s very possible if you’ve given him wormers or antibiotics that his gut PH is in balanced and the antibiotics have killed the good bacteria his gut needs to flourish, they kill the good and bad, that’s why I only use them as an option of last resort, try some PRO and PRE biotics, they can easily be found in the drug section of most major box stores as well as local pharmacy, check in the pet section on your local TSC or Feed store and see if they offer any of them, gut floura is the key to everything...
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 11:47:00 pm »

Not my post but thanks Goose ,I'm gonna look in to that. Cause his stool is always loose unless I'm feeding raw
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 09:38:59 am »

mms or chlorine dioxide after activated, bout 20 bucks and amazing, even 4 parvo etc. Id do a rectal deposit w/ syringe and oral.

I’ve heard this is some great stuff for just about any type of ailment infection wise, never used it myself and had actually forgotten about until just now, believe I’m about to order some to keep on hand in the event something pretty bad develops, between my son and the dogs I keep the lights turned at the vetericyn headquarters for the small cuts and scrapes...
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 01:04:47 pm »

His stool is hardly ever loose as far as I can tell. I took him to the vet yesterday he tested positive for heart worms sadly. First time running into something like this. He’s going to be down for awhile the vet I visited has a plan for that that includes a month of antibiotics and some steroids then onto a heart worm preventative I believe. So it doesn’t take that much of a toll on him. I’m not really for sure he ate the booklet around the important parts. I didn’t know weight loss was a symptom of heart worms makes me feel like a terrible owner but I’m going to do whatever I can for him.

Mathews mission venture
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 04:20:01 pm »

Found out yesterday at a different vet he is very anemic and his white and red blood cells are very low. They also mentioned his urine isn’t concentrated. Me and them are scratching our heads

Mathews mission venture
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 06:56:23 pm »

Do a blood test. He probably has some tick related disease.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 04:59:52 am »

X2 on the ticks.
Ehlichiosis comes to mind first. The bacteria attacks the blood cells and kidneys.
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 09:17:39 am »

He tested negative for that

Mathews mission venture
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 11:29:24 am »

Did the new vet test for heart worms again?
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 12:04:11 pm »

He tested positive for them

Mathews mission venture
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: