April 19, 2024, 05:21:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 in 10  (Read 893 times)
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2019, 06:18:33 pm »

Got up early and drove out west to plow for the day.     Took 2 dogs to grab some more dog food for the week.   Come in the back way looking for pigs out and about in the coolest part of the day/morning before they disappeared for the remainder of the day.    Found a group crossing a plowed field.    Sent the dogs and run out there behind them.    They caught a big ol fat sow.     I dispatched her and as big as she was i figured she would last a week so no need to let them role out.   So me and the dogs walked back to the truck and continued on for the gate to the field which was clear on the other side of this property.     As we were getting to the corner a big boar steps out in front of the truck and just stands there like he owns the road and isn't gonna let me pass.    When I got right up to him he decides to take a few steps back.   I  just pass him and stop with him right even  with my tailgate for Tuff to pounce on  like a leapord jumping onto its prey out of a tree.   Wish it had worked like that but when I stopped he bolted under the fence and into the field where Tuff pulled him down in short order.    Dispatched that really nice boar and had all the dog food I could stand and then some laying on the ground in 10 minutes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 08:17:17 pm »

Do you feed it raw? Cheap dog food source.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 08:53:30 pm »

Do you feed it raw? Cheap dog food source.

Yes i feed it raw.   Today they got the guts and the spins and the head of the big boar.    The backstraps, ribs, and quarters all go into a deep freezer in layers separated by plastic feed sacks  to keep it from freezing together in one big giant chunck.    I won't have to feed again till Wednesday      Wednesday I'll open the freezer and pull out 2 quarters and take them out to the pens and cut them in halves with a splitting axe.    Then pitch the halves over the fences and then repeat the process Friday.              In the winter I will half the pigs and drag the halves in the pens and they have all they can  eat for a week.    I just put quarters and quarter size peices and small pigs in my deep freeze though.    I've got to be able to break loose and lift out what I put in there.             I can't just feed raw meat constantly.    I have to give them guts so I kinda change up which pens get what.   Guts is the key to making the raw diet a healthy balanced diet.        My dogs love it but I think it's an acquired taste lol.      They are born and raised on it and think it's awsome.    Someone else's dogs would not touch half what my dogs think is the best stuff lol.   
    Oh and my chickens love it too.       They love the coagulated blood, the fat, and picking at the meat.        I cut the stomach out and carry it over to the chicken pens and slice the bottom of it open where the contents falls right out then take the stomach and pitching back in the dog pens.   The chickens like to scratch around and eat the stuff too.    Usually the dogs eat the small and large intestines and not so much the actual fresh eaten stuff in the stomach but will at times.        Not much goes to waist.  They even like to eat the hide a week or two later.                When it comes time to mow the grass in the pens I Usually just use the mower as a chipper shredder to any bones left like the femers pelvis spine and skull.   The ribs are totally consumed.   They love the ribs.   When the mower breaks up the bigger bones the dogs will naw on them some more.     I used to go in with a wheel barrel and clean out the big bones but me and the dogs are pretty happy with the mower and how it breaks up the bones in little pieces.         
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 09:08:58 pm »

Pretty good deal there. I have thought about doing that  ery thing myself.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 09:24:40 pm »

Pretty good deal there. I have thought about doing that  ery thing myself.

Takes some getting used to and cutting up pigs after each hunt can be aggrivating.     But I'm really fast about it now.     Takes me about 10 minutes per pig.  I quarter with skin on then filet the skin off the torso as I role it.   Split the head with axe less it has good hooks lol I split the heads cause the dogs like the brains and can much easier pick the meat off.     They have plenty to chew on throughout the boating days waiting to go hunting again.          If I had tied these two pigs rather than stabbed them for dog food, they would have brought $70 a piece.    That's $140 I just stabbed for dog food that will last 3 weeks for 6 dogs.       But it really healthy, they love it, I love it and next week I won't need dog food and will be tying and getting paid Smiley
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 08:29:17 am »

I hear ya there

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: