April 25, 2024, 01:35:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst position you've been in hunting?  (Read 5769 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2019, 08:06:05 am »

What's the worst position you've been in while hunting? I can think of several jams that I have managed to get into over the years. The worst one happened when I was by myself. I had broken my left arm and had to have a plate and screws put in it. The day after surgery I decided that I was going to take 2 big pups out and let them run and do some exploring while I scouted a place out. I had a green bulldog that I took too. I don't remember for sure but i don't think he had seen 1 maybe 2 hogs in the woods. As luck would have it, those 2 puppies bayed a boar hog. He was in that 225-230# range and had those 2'' extremely sharp cutters. They had him in a dry creek bed and straight banks on either side. Me being me, I decided I was gonna catch him and sent the bulldog. He eared him and I got in there and got ahold. The pucker factor hit me just about that time as I realized my left arm was useless. I'm trying to fight a big hog that is getting madder by the second, a bulldog that don't understand leverage or wrestling at all yet, and two more dogs that are doing everything they can to agitate this big rascal. It's the dead of summer and we've been in triple digits everyday. The 3 of us wrestling are getting hotter and hotter and the hog is in better shape than me or the bulldog. I can't get this sucker flipped with one arm so I tried to push him against the bank and stick him but couldn't keep him there without using my good arm. My broke arm wasn't strong enough to push the knife in and I wound up dropping it and we repeatedly stomped on it until it was buried over a foot deep in the sand. At this point I don't know how much more this bulldog can hold. He's spent and I was right behind him, we had been wrestling this sucker for about 2 hours it felt like but it was only about 10 to 15 minutes max. Finally it hit me, I had my hand cuffs. So pushed the hog against the bank again and reached under to his opposite front leg and cuffed it then pulled it back under and across him and got him thrown. Then I used me knee to push that top hind leg towards his head and managed to get it cuffed. Then I snapped a lead to the hand cuffs and ran it up over a big root high on the bank so that the hogs feet were up. I went and dug my knife out and came back and dispatched the hog. The dogs and I went to a tank that was about 150 yards away and we layed there in the water for a while.

Another time I remember was also in the summer. Myself and a friend had gone hunting. We caught a couple hogs and the third one checked out. Clyde had it bayed in a baaaad briar thicket on the bank of the Neches river. We get up there and my buddy wants to send his catch dog. He thought she was a cracker jack. A big red gyp that he called a red nose pit, but was half Rott if she had a hair on her. We send her and hear her hit. Mind you they are 20 yards away and it's so thick that the rabbits and mosquitoes avoid it. Army crawl is the only way in and they are all the way to opposite side. My buddy decided he was gonna wait outside with my catch dog just in case! I crawled in and came around a corner and there they were. It's about 180 pound sow standing there looking right at me about 10 foot away. My Clyde dog was on the opposite side of her from me and this cracker jack catch dog was laying down about 2 foot from the hog just panting. I tried to sick her on the hog but she no savvy. The hog did though and here she started to me. Thankfully Clyde hammed her and she tried to spin and I lunged out and grabbed her back leg. It was too thick for her get around any and I just drug her out backwards and stuck her when I got out. He had to go back in and get his cracker jack catch dog that wound up being just a cracker and it crumbled. She never once got up to try the hog after I got in there or on the way out. Believe me when I tell you,  he understood what my opinion of his RED NOSE was after that.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 08:45:37 pm »

My tale is not dangerous but hilarious, several years ago I did not use a catchdog but decided to get one and I found an American Bulldog male near home but he had never done anything or even been out of the yard so I went and got him. My brother-in-law and I decided to go down here on the creek that night and make a round. We struck a track and the dogs went across the creek and bayed way up on the hill, it was winter and a big deep creek but there is an old railroad trestle there we used to cross. Got up there and I am leading this new bulldog that hasn't ever saw a hog (I am bad about OJT) and they have 3 or 4 sows and a handful of big shoats bayed in a small patch of brush. I am holding that new bulldog and he is listening and looking, in a little bit a big sow (she wound up weighing 225 the next day) squirted out of there after a baydog and I turned the bulldog loose, she went back in and he trotted over to the bushes and hiked his leg, not even aware of a hog but about then that big sow saw him and upended him, turned him a flip, well that pulled his trigger haha he made a pass at her and she broke and ran with him after her, this commotion flushed the others and the baydogs went other directions. We split up and were running around trying to find the bulldog and the sow, about 100yds down the hill in a little draw I found them, he had her caught by the ear and was locked down so I ran up to them and grabbed the sow by the tail and one hind leg, but when I bent over to grab the sow the light coming to the dogs face scared him and he turned loose and jumped back, no problem I have her now anyway haha but he jumped back in there and caught me by the right leg on the shin, so I have an 80 lb bulldog on one leg and a handful of mad sow. I stomped when I could and cussed and yelled (that is how my brother-in law knew where I was) when he got there he fell out laughing, finally the dog realized he had me not the hog and spit me out and reattached to the hog. We had a good laugh after I cussed the binlaw awhile and like I say that sow couldn't have really hurt me. It being cold I had enough clothes on that he just bruised my leg, didn't even poke a hole in me. That was my first catchdog and he made a good dog except for the fact he was one of those big mashed nose dogs and did not have good wind, sometimes I would have to walk away from him to hear the dogs and eventually he overheated and died the next summer.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 10:14:40 pm »

Lol at least you didn't squeal. That makes me laugh because I visualize it. It reminds me of a buddy that was trying to start a bulldog puppy about 5 or 6 months old. He had a shoat by the hind leg and the pup by the collar trying to hold the pup back away from the hog. He wound up on his knees holding the pup out in front of him and his other arm that he was holding the shoat (40lbs give or take) with was between his legs. The pup was fired up trying to get the shoat and shoat was mad trying to get anything. Anything turned out to be the seat of my buddy's overalls. I was in tears watching this show. He said I guess you ain't gonna help me you S.O.B! I told him.soon as I caught my breath I would. Man that was a good one.

Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 11:23:34 pm »

Tdogs had me lol but the old man ,that was good ,between the 2my ribs and stomach muscles hurt...
chipolariverman
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 10:20:52 am »

Those are both great stories and I'm with Rough curs I was rolling. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 11:13:01 pm »

Mine wasn’t exactly “in the act of actually hunting” but more like not being where I was supposed to be when I said I was going hunting and the worst, heart throbbing, palms sweaty, body shaking, fearing for my life kinda ordeal, it’s a sorry move to make and no way I’d do any of it now, I hardly had any positive role models to try and be like and just about had to learn the ways of life by messing up along the way, I used to never consider other people’s feelings or how my actions impacted others lives, good friend of mine at the time and I were dating girls that were 1st cousins, we told them we were going hunting and even had the dogs collared in the box when we met the girls to tell them by, we leave and don’t go hunting bur go to the next town instead and meet some other girls to go “hunting” and “riding”, w/o to much detail we all know what our intentions were and by now the outcome, we had gone to the girls aunt’s house bc she was gone, lo and behold the aunt to these girls had a neighbor  and that neighbor  was an aunt to our girlfriends( prime example of my luck my entire life) and saw my truck parked over there and began asking her nieces questions, well after a little bit of patience, persuasions, and the right words at the right time I end up in back seat of my truck with one of these other gals, 30 minutes or so  later I saw a vehicle pull in next door but thought nothing, just a few minutes later I heard a female voice cussing and glass break, my buddy Charlie starts yelling about the time my door flies open and Im busted with my pants around my ankles literally, to say things got western rather quickly would give this experience no justice, we had 2 cousins( we were dating at time), their aunt from next door, 3 or 4 of their wannabe gangster girlfriends and my girlfriends mother, they all had my trucked surrounded and thought they had me blocked in with a golf cart, I’ve never heard such vulgarity come from such pretty mouths, by this time Charlie and the other chick have made their way to the truck, we’re sitting there trying to figure out how we’re going to get past the line up of  purely pissed off estrogen ( that I’m pretty sure helped eventually spark the ME TOO movement) w/o running someone over, I was trying to inch my way out when they started hitting with and throwing stuff at my truck, that’s was enough to piss me off even if I was wrong, I heard one say get the dogs and saw an individual trying to open my tail gate, (thank God for GM factory defects) luckily my tail gate has a combination to it, I was about to really lose my mind over that and eased back hard enough to shove her with my truck to make her move away and to reposition my truck, well one of them starts yelling I just “ran over” one of the gangster girls, the one doing the yelling runs at my truck with a shovel about to attempt to knock my windows out, I’ve never in my life laid hands on a female in a disrespectful or dishonest way, it was hard not to do, looking at my options and the only way out without catching an aggravated assault or attempted murder/man slaughter charge or a vehicular assault charge was to go over and through a nice tricked out golf cart, as soon as she cocked back to swing I put it in drive and punched it into the golf cart and felt like a bad MF’er for a minute as I way driving over and through this tricked out cart eventually making it to the hwy and homeward bound, they attempted to follow us but couldn’t keep up, we made it to Charlie’s house and a little while later they show up again, this time the tides were turned, they were in our parish, on our property and came with the intent on making trouble, luckily Charlie was smart enough to record the entire ordeal earlier with his phone on record sitting on dash, I mentioned for them to be quite and shut up but in a very nice way, we eventually had to call sheriffs dept to make them leave, next day I was approached by 2 deputies claiming I’d been in a hit and run and left  and destruction of private property, i asked under what premise was the accusation and by whom, after showing deputies our video and scratches on my truck, it was enough to reverse the deputies ways of thinking and realized why we did what we did and that was bc we had to, charges were pressed against me in MS and I turned around and pressed charges on all of them and had every one of them on that recording making a heavy threat, once everything settled a week later I get a call from a deputy with walthall county SD that my charges has been dropped, once I saw it was all going my way I dropped the ones I pressed against them, this was when I was 17 and never talked to my old girlfriend again, 14 years later she still hates me lol, won’t even look my way of we see each other in town, Charlie’s dumbas$ went back to his a week or so later, that immediately made me the bad influence even if I really didn’t play any part of the good times in a ghost town other than being the driver and truck owner and being lucky, that eventually was the downfall of our friendship, I did let my other head do the thinking instead of the right one, it was a sorry thing to do and karma has more than repaid me tenfold but looking back it was just a bad decision by a very naive young man an have had the scenario reversed on me and will never make a female acquaintance feel that way again, it’s not really a hunting story but is still told when crazy hunting stories come up around a fire, so the worst position I’ve ever been in while “hog hunting” would have to be the missionary mixed with a host of maniacs to interrupt, this is something I get a good chuckle out of myself when I pass somewhere that’s a reminder of that night, hope somebody gets a good laugh out of a few bad decisions, 2 dumbass young chaps, and a box full of dogs that had no idea the experiences they’d been or were eventually going to go through, last 2 weekends I’ve had to fly to Atlanta and back for some personal and  potentially future business deals, I don’t particularly care to post to much on here anymore unless there’s nothing else to do and at a mile high the list of To-Dos isn’t very big and the flights between Gulfport and Atlanta aren’t long enough for a decent flick so I hope somebody enjoys and I get to catch up on reading...
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 11:26:03 pm »

Poor dogs lol

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 01:01:09 am »

Poor dogs lol

You have no idea, those poor dogs in the early days went to more parties than hunts and saw more than a dog should see lol...
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 06:05:39 pm »

good stories there tdog. i have 2 that come to mind

3 of us went out on a friday night to a place my partner had real close to my house. we had went to this particualr spot 2 times prior that week due to the rancher sayin hogs were hittin that particualr barn. well on friday the dogs lit out when we got near the barn and it wasnt long to we heard the music goin.soon as we got thru a tight fence i sent the bulldogs( my veteran sam dog and pup jack) . the brus was real thick and i lost sight of both of em. and we didnt know that right behind this barn was differnt creek beds and tons of down trees, briars and such. of course i got hung up,lol. one guy got there soon after we heard the catch and i finnally got there and we killed a real big sow.problem was my sam dog wasnt there . i pulled jack off the hog,leashed him up and off we ran down a dirt road i found on the opposite side of the creek while my other two buddies got the dogs together and pulled the dead hog out of the mess. i would stop and listen every so often and finnally i heard some noise down in the creek bottom. i started yellin skit em sam and i heard a hog gruntin and some brush crack.i ran closer and yeeld at sam to get him and then i could tell jack heard the noise and knew what it was. i cut him loose and i ran right behind him. well this was when it got western.i thought it was a little angle down to the creek bed but next thing you know jack and i had jumped off a high steep bank and when i hit the ground then i started rollin and flyin azz overr tea kettle down a steep bank untill i slammed into the dry creek bed. i think it might have knocked me out  but it for sure rung my bell real good as it seemed like a few minutes till i realized what happened and where i was. and i also hear a hell of a fight goin on so up i jumped and off i ran.sure enough sam and jack had a good boar . i legged him real quick and started hollerin my buddy got there as he had found a safe way down,lol. we got him stuck and started checkin the bulldogs and found sam had skin cuts all over the place. basically anywhere not covered by his vest and collar. both the hogs cutters were broke off so all the cuts really did was cut off hair and a little hide but boy did sam look like hell for awhile,lol. but he ended uo lookin better than i did,lol. i had gotten cut down my face right by the corner of my eye  and the worst was that come monday mornin my left eye was totaly swollen shut from poison oak and the other was on its way to being swole shut. thank gawd they got shots for that. i went by my job on the way to the doctor  and they said.... gary i thought you had quit fightin,lol.

the second was the very first time i had taken my sam dog huntin. a good friend in alaska brought him down and gave him to me when he flew back home. they came down and hunted 2 or 3 nights with my hunting partner as i was busy with out american bulldog national show being held  here. so i think i had sam at my place a couple days and we went out for the first time without his prior owner. the dogs bayed in a creek  with a deep cut and i sent sam and sopped when i got to the top of the creek bank and they had a real good boar and sam was hooked up good. that when the bank gave out and down i went. and had landed a bit infront of the fight and i was crossways across the ditch a few feet above the ground. this noise starteled sam and he let go of the hog. visions of my guts pourin out ran thru my head  and the i heard my partner from above yell out OH F..........K. then his boy found a way down and jumped in the creek  bed and sicced the dogs and sam recaught and he legged the boar and then i came crashin down safe and unhurt infront of the then caught hog. what i learned the next morning when i called my buddy i alaska to chew his butt was that dave had been real hard on sam over fightin so the bulldog figured he gonna get it so he let go ,lol. this never happened agian and sam was for the rest of his career as trustworthy and hard holdin a bulldog as ever walked. hope i wasnt so longwinded i put anyone to sleep.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 06:36:38 pm »

You were sure enough in a bind. Sounds like there was a pretty serious pucker factor lol

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 08:38:49 pm »

yeah im surprised i didnt need clean drawers after the one where sam let go. my huntin partners son said if it hadnt scared the hell out of him he would have fell down laughing when he saw me. he said i was basically  in front of the hogs way out and a little above him and on my fingertips on one side and my tiptoes on the other with my butt stuck up in the air tryin to keep my guts n nutz out of danger.kinda a california bush okie yoga position i guess.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 09:00:20 pm »

Lmbo

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 02:18:25 pm »

It was a freezing cold night, had a solid bay, Garmin said it kept moving b/w 30 and 50 yds away but it wasnt real loud and didnt seem wright. After hearing the second dog yelp, my smart a$$ says lets just cut the CD's and see. They went in and caught a nice boar in a drainage culvert under a dirt road used to keep the creak from flooding the bridge. It was probably 30 yds long and just big enough for me duck walk or crawl in, we had no gun and every time the pig would see us it would start walking to the other side, it probably took 20 min to get the nerve up to go in after playing run to the other side of the tunnel a few times b/c despite my dogo being caught solid on the ear the hog was to big to anchor and it could walk or jog and it was to tight for the curs to get a back leg and stretch him out. So with dagger in hand in I go in and thankfully it chose to walk away from me instead of charge me but was slamming my dogos head into the concrete with mike tyson power every time i got close enough to leg it and would start to turn to me. Thankfully as i stayed about 6 ft behind and kept crawling towards it he dept moving away from me as long as i stayed back a bit and he exited the culvert where my buddy was there to leg it. Never felt so good to stand up straight! While getting it on the wheeler and checking the dogs who were all ok besides minor flesh wounds my dogo started walking in circles and got wobbly legged for a bit but recovered within about 20 min of riding on the wheeler and caught another hog that night.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 02:57:54 pm »

Had a little pucker factor going on it sounds like, lmao

T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 02:59:09 am »

Where to begin?
The following stories are based on true events though the names have been changed to protect the innocents. (And the guilty)  Grin

Several years ago me, Ronnie Shmidt and Matt Hopkins saw the weather report was showing a brutally cold and rainy night here on the coast. Seeing as how we are gluttons for punishment and we’re not gang to waste bad weather, we decided it’d be the perfect night to go hunt in the marshes, along a swift river. To skip the labor and show y’all the baby I’ll just say our dogs were on a roll that night. I haven’t the foggiest notion how many hogs we’d caught already, probably 10 or more, when the dogs came bayed on the herd boar in the river. We were cold and wet already and hoped to make this our last hog. Unfortunately for us the hog had decided he’d be our last hog as well and would wait for us to just make it to him each time before swimming further downstream. After an hour or more of frozen limbs and dangerous muddy river banks and several skinny dips across the river we did finally get him caught and promptly killed that evil rascal. It was 20 degrees that night, raining and we’d all swam several times. Our clothes were frozen, our bodies were hypothermic and it was a 1 mile walk back to the ATV followed by a 2 miles ride to the trucks. Try as we did, we couldn’t get a fire rolling so we eventually just trudged on and made it back to the trucks where we sat in our underwear with the heater as high as it would go until we warmed enough to go back and catch the last of the dogs.

2. A friend and I were hunting a property that borders a state prison and as hog dogs are keen to do, ours decided to go see how the trustees were living. A young dog found that cattle owned by the state of Texas were far more interesting than any ol boar hog and forgot her name in the process. To keep it short and keep myself out of trouble I’ll skip to the heart attack......... We had almost completed our own “Escape from Alcatraz, all dogs on leashes and the right side of the fence was mere yards from us when I hear a faint buzzing sound. I looked left and right, ahead and behind when I realized the sound was directly above me. I looked up and there was a drone escorting me to the fence. My heart sank, I stopped, took off my hat to allow it a clear look at my face, I profusely and wholeheartedly apologized to it when I noticed another friend of ours at my UTV. He is in a sensitive line of work and we wanted to protect him from our wicked ways so we’d left him at the fence earlier, I had no idea he’d brought his high dollar drone along on the hunt and after I was properly defribulated, we all had a good laugh at my expense.

3.A different friend and I were hunting a property plenty large enough and with a great enough hog population that there should have been no reason for our dogs to stray off of it. Well, they are hog dogs, and they did. We got in hogs and tied a good number of them along a 2 mike stretch of woods when the dogs that still had any lung left dropped signal yet  another mile further from the trucks. We waited a long time and eventually we could barely make out the sound of a solid bay. After driving off property and all over creation we got signal with one dog in the heart of a property owned and guarded by Uncle Sam. We attempted to wait them out but all for not. Eventually we decided the best course was to change into frat boy trail hiking clothes and blend in with the campers and backpackers. We frat boy’d our way down gravel PT trails until we were near and the coast was clear. We slipped off the beaten path, leashed the dogs, hid the collars in a backpack and hiked back out as casual as we could.

4. Last one. I still don’t find it that funny so I’ll be brief, had a very large and angry boar in a river who was on a mission to cut me personally even if it killed him. I’m not a good swimmer and was treading water, he was a great swimmer and every time I went under to make some room, he went hunting for me. Getting worn out in the running water, I dropped my knife and ended up going under, finding his rear legs and pulling myself up on to him, then shifted my grip to his front legs to let him do the swimming. Once I caught my breath I knew I’d just have to drown him. I did and it took far longer than I expected. I barely made it back to the bank and I bet I laid there for an hour catching my breath and swearing to take up golf by the weekend. I’ve caught a lot of hogs since then and I’m proud to say I still don’t know a driver from a sand wedge.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 07:53:49 am »

You miss spelled sandwich

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 08:16:38 am »

Lol, I'm just picking. I'm not a golfer either. As for the stories, that's a miserable kind of cold and it takes more than a few minutes to warm up. And it's good you didn't panic in that water. You could've gotten dead real easy.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 09:06:48 am »

I have a cold water story. It happened so long ago I should probably start it by saying once upon a time. Once upon a time, lol, we took a fella hunting that had passed through our little town and seen a hog hunting sticker on my buddies truck. Just so happened that his truck needed a mechanic and that was my buddy. Anyway he came back to hunt with us and we had made a good showing that morning, but I had a pup about a year old that was still out. This was before I had ever heard of a beep beep tracker, don't even remember if there was such a thing then. Any way it was really cold and we were hunting a hill that skirted a big river bottom. There was a pretty stiff breeze and it was sleeting. I thought I could hear my pup off a ways so got on the wheeler and told the guys and one gal that was with us that I was going to go get him. I figured he was barking lost or something. Well the gal with us said she'd go with me and that was more than ok with me because she was a looker. We get close as we can and park. The bark is on the other side of the  river that has ice on it. I tried calling and calling but he wouldn't come. So I take off my boots and she asked what I was doing. I said well I gotta go to my dog and I turned and kept taking off coats and clothes until i was in just my jeans and tshirt. I turn around and so is she. I asked what are you doing? She said if your going then I'm going. I said ok then come on. She asked how I was gonna go about getting in the water, jump or easy into it? LMBO, I'm easing in and you better too. When you take off, swim for that point right over there. Away we went, that water zapped every ounce of oxygen out of us. She actually wet under her second step in and was blue when she popped up. When we got out on the other side I was extremely happy to see her. I tried to imagine that it was me that caused her to look like she did but I knew it was the cold water. Away we go to the barking and when we got there.....oh man what a disappointment. It wasn't even my dog, it was a noisy pump jack. It sounded just perfect, I couldn't believe it. So we had to go back and ride that cold wheeler in the sleet and wind to the truck, soaking wet and empty handed. We watched them laugh at us though the truck windows while we sat in the heat trying to thaw out. I'll never forget it!

WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 09:36:54 am »

Man, you will do bout anything to get a gal out of her clothes!
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 09:57:58 am »

Hey, if you ain't cheating you ain't trying

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: