April 19, 2024, 04:28:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tying pigs in the summer time  (Read 4151 times)
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2019, 08:08:17 pm »

Not for certain cause nobody really knows for sure,but by the looks of most " cur " dogs they got pit in somewhere down the line...like was said before on this forum. " adding salt to the stew you can never get it out.or something like that...lol
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2019, 11:39:28 pm »

Fl bred Cur Cowdogs son. No "pit" cur crosses on this yard. Wink

Better research deep enough the history of most working curs and their origins, especially the Florida curs of all of them, just bc there’s isn’t an F1 pit/bulldog cur cross sitting on your yard doesn’t mean your dogs very existence isn’t built off the foundations of one, if I’m wrong please list all the “cur” breeds that were created in the old countries and migrated to America like the most of our working dog breeds, again especially the Florida cur strains....
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2019, 05:59:22 am »

Ya goose there in all of them at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2019, 08:40:18 am »

Better research deep enough the history of most working curs and their origins, especially the Florida curs of all of them, just bc there’s isn’t an F1 pit/bulldog cur cross sitting on your yard doesn’t mean your dogs very existence isn’t built off the foundations of one, if I’m wrong please list all the “cur” breeds that were created in the old countries and migrated to America like the most of our working dog breeds, again especially the Florida cur strains....

Catchin hogs cracker style
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2019, 08:51:24 am »

Big difference between a "pit" bulldog and a "bulldog". One was bred to fight, the other was bred to work. You from South/Central Florida son. I go back 5 generations on one side and 4 on the other in that part of the state. No big secret we put " White Bulldog" in these dogs around here. There was a reason for that Wink Now what was that about better researching the history of Fl Bred Cur Cowdogs.

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2019, 04:28:23 pm »

Big difference between a "pit" bulldog and a "bulldog". One was bred to fight, the other was bred to work. You from South/Central Florida son. I go back 5 generations on one side and 4 on the other in that part of the state. No big secret we put " White Bulldog" in these dogs around here. There was a reason for that Wink Now what was that about better researching the history of Fl Bred Cur Cowdogs.

Thanks for shaking the family tree for us, always like to see family traditions passed down, but your response is limited to the knowledge that was passed on to you by someone else about the origins of YOUR family’s strain of dogs, doesn’t account for the very broad history of the fla curs and their various origins, way I was brought up in the game was to not throw names out unless given permission so I’ll respectfully decline to cite my source but more than one very popular using and working strains of cur dogs developed in fla was based off “pit” “hound” crosses, and bred down from there, the cow hands that made them had game dog connections and would go get a cold dog to breed to whenever they started losing  the roughness wanted and vice versus on the nose and breeding to a hound, they bred them to meet the demands of the time and didn’t care what they were called as long as they got their job done, the ones that had “it” were kept, those that didn’t were done away with, this doesn’t cover all Strains of cur dogs in fla, the names of the families and ranches the dogs I described above still carry a lot of merit to this day, then again this is just info passed onto me by one of them old hands that has done passed to the other side and never had a reason to lie or any family honor to protect in the name of pride, they just needed a dog that could do that job and if they weren’t around to get from someone they created their own, we all have our opinions and beliefs to go and live by, to each his own as long as the dogs are done right by, I’m not going to go back and forth over something that’s as irrelevant as another man addressing other men as “son” and “boy”, not going into detail like Black streak does but your steady use of such words and the manner in which you use them to “ get at” somebody makes it hard for me to take you serious some times, and seems as if you won’t provide positive fellowship, debate, discussions amongst dog hunters despite our differences, sure does appear as if you only log on to bash on someone about something and spread even more negative stuff, I hope I’m wrong but my senses tell me different, but I’ve been wrong before, I don’t really care what another man does, hunts, ties hogs, breeds dogs whatever as long as welfare of his animals is kept priority, I’m respectfully bowing out of this convo, any rebuttal you have to any of the above I’ll go ahead and give you a nod and tip of my hat and say you’re right...

I lied, one other thing, is your handle, warren, or warrent ?
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2019, 10:01:48 pm »

You better dig deeper in your "research" than one ranch hand on one ranch before you talk about these dogs with me son. My knowledge is not speculation or here say, it is first hand, from my family and at least 13 other "Old Florida" families from the counties around and below Lake Okeechobee, the very heart of "Cracker Country" Wink Everyone of these families has the very "Bulldog" blood I speak of in there dogs. These are Cur Cowdog lines, first and foremost.    Just for the record, there are lines all over the state that have "pit" bulldog bred into them for strictly hog hunting. Two completely different dogs for those of us who know. 

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2019, 10:12:20 pm »

Warrant do you know Sam Clemens

warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2019, 10:45:26 pm »

Warrant do you know Sam Clemens

I knew Pete Clemons, owner of Okeechobee Livestock Market. He is now deceased. One hell of a Cowman and a legend where I am from.

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2019, 10:50:05 pm »

Sam is his son or grandson not exactly sure but I know they ran the live stock auction. There all life time cowboys. I got dogs out of there old stuff. My buddy brought them back to Texas 15 yrs ago very hardy dogs.

warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2019, 09:16:40 am »

Todd and Jeff are his sons. They run it now, as they did, along side their Dad. Couple of sons and grandsons floating around, but I have not met them. Fulltime Cowmen, sure 'nuff. Always keep #1 dogs around. Wink

Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2019, 11:56:27 am »

I think "pit " is. West coast term and bulldog is an eastern term for the same dog . They all came off the same few the English brought over. Bulldogs on the west are just that big underbite no good for nothing bulldog like on the cartoons. But like I said before most curs where bread with bulldog or pit in them whatever you want to call them. Cats black mouth flu curs mnt curs all have it .
Robert L
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2019, 01:49:41 pm »

If you catch all your hogs by sight huntin or in areas you can drive right to them ofcourse they're not goung to get as hot.If you actually have to trail and find hogs by nose most times miles away from vehicle access it's just part of it.If you try to use straight catch dogs in the summer here that trail a hog a long ways your going to have more than a dead hog as well.They can be catchy but better wait to catch till you get there.If a dog tries to hold a hog by the ear for a hr or so in the summer months it's likely you won't catch that hog due to your dog over heating.I have dogs I won't turn loose  in the heat because they got no back up.A bayed hog doesn't heat up as fast as a caught hog and that's a fact.A caught dog heats up way faster than one that's baying that's also a fact.If you can't get to the seen in short order with straight catch dogs in the summer here sh@t dies and thats a fact hog or dog.Mike I use you tail cutting trick and it has worked I believe.
Second this!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: