April 19, 2024, 06:31:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Run  (Read 2517 times)
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2019, 05:04:42 pm »

Had a guy that’s been wanting us to come run the hogs off his food Plott. He had a guy come in there Thursday and he ran hogs for a while but didn’t catch any. Got together with Rez boys Scotty and Rhett and my buddy Mike the knife. There had been a lot of hogs there and the dogs scattered out. Finally Amber, Hank and Rose trailed one out. Hank showed bayed and Amber was soon there and they were spitting them out at .92 mile. We drove around an turned 2 green catch dogs with n and the hog broke. My bulldog Rex was running with the hounds. We got out of there trying to stay with the race. We all got other dogs in I went back to get Rex. Rhett, Scotty and Mike stayed with the dogs. It took a couple hours for me to round up Rex and make my way back to them. I was 5 minutes too late as they caught the hog. My Garmin said Hank put on 11.9 miles but he was out of range for a hour and a half. A real nice hot hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 05:11:06 pm »

Sounds like a hell of a run.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 05:19:07 pm »

Makes you feel good about what you're feeding when they do what someone else's couldn't. Congrats on a good job

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 06:05:41 pm »

Don’t know why the pics didn’t come thru.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 09:23:17 pm »

I'm curious...when a boar breeds another boar, do you just get more boars?

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 05:43:09 am »

Dang good run good hog

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Muddy-N-Bloody
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 06:07:10 am »

Yea tht kinda boar needed to be taken out
Lol

Thank God for Mama and Daddy and for the whoopings I got that I needed
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 06:50:48 am »

Tdog, We saw that also. Must not have been enough receptive sows around. Speaking of that we have been getting some long coldtrails on boar tracks we been putting on. My theory is with the acorns hitting the ground, there are more sows that come in heat at this time of the year then any other time. While you can see pigs any time of the year, we see the majority of pigs Jan. thru March. We have cold trailed hogs a couple of miles and not jumped them. They are traveling. The dogs cold trailed this boar .92 and bayed him in his bed. When he broke bay he was going to change zip codes or it seemed like it. He was a good 5 miles from where we started at. Rhett and Scotties curs can sure stay in a race too.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 07:06:58 am »

Congrats Mr. Mike,,,, that boar had some wind to him,,,, Its been nice and cool aint it,,,,, After loosing a good dog last summer,,, I aint been in month,,,, Dogs are pissed at me badd  LOL>>.

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
RBz_OFFROAD
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 07:07:46 am »

It sure was a good hunt Cajun.  Its very hot and dry. You can’t be anything but pleased with the dogs finishing a hog like that.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 07:34:32 am »

Cajun I have my thoughts on it, but why do you think there are more sows in heat during the acorn season?

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 10:14:42 am »

T dog, Here are some of my thoughts on it and it might not be worth a hill of beans. lol  I used to raise Russian hogs and could only get one litter a year out of them and these hogs were fed the best year round. It always seemed like they were coming into heat coinciding with the acorns dropping around Sept- Oct. With a almost 4 year gestation period that puts them having babies Jan thru March. A good majority of the hogs we hunt in the marsh have a lot of Russian blood in them and we see most of the pigs out there in Jan. thru March. There are always exceptions but this is what I have found in our area. 
   Feral hogs will have pigs anytime of the year but it also depends on the food supply. Hogs in Agriculture country always have plenty to eat and sows have to be in good condition or they will not come into heat so that could explain why they come in heat at different times of the year.
   You always hear that hogs will have three litters a year. Actually that is a little over a year. I have talked to commercial hog farmers And they say some will but not all and those are hogs that are fed the best.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 10:45:05 am »

I agree with you cajun. I think animals heat cycles have several factors that determine when or if they cycle, even the domestic ones. Food is absolutely a huge one and probably number one. I think this heat has a factor in it too. You throw in hunting pressure, be it dogs, traps, property owners shooting every time one sticks their head out of the brush and you have a good deal of stress. No animal has as good of litters or as large of litters when they are stressed. I remember when we went through the last severe drought. Normally if we bayed a group and there was a sow with pigs, there would be several with pigs or fixing to have them. During the drought though, if you saw a sow with pigs it was a small litter and she would likely be the dominate sow and the only one bred or going to pig. I don't like raising summer time puppies. To me they are just not as healthy and the mothers do a much poorer job of taking care of them. The gyps are prone to problems that are a lot less likely during the cooler months too like mastitis and infections. Other animals are no different.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 06:32:48 pm »

Didnt mean to leave Rhett out or the Curs.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 07:15:03 pm »

That's sure enough a good looking set of dogs cajun

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 07:46:47 pm »

Nice hogs that takes quality dogs to get in on that

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 11:01:25 pm »

Didnt mean to leave Rhett out or the Curs.

Now y’all don’t shoot the messenger but I heard through the kudzu vine that you done low key converted Scotty to the brindle side, I know why he made sure your plotts was in the picture, so nobody would suspect his lol...
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 06:02:04 am »

LOL Goose, Scotty been a Plott man for years. He is just coming out of the closet now. haha

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
RBz_OFFROAD
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 06:39:36 am »

Goose I do like me plotts. But Cajun and I talked about it the other day I like getting home early and taking mid day naps lol. So the curs hopefully stay working for me lol.   
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 06:59:29 am »

Scotty we would have wrapped this hunt up at 7:30 am if we didnt turn two green bulldogs into the bay.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: