March 28, 2024, 08:58:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's ideal?  (Read 4863 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2019, 02:02:08 pm »

Warrent, are they a particular build or breed

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2019, 04:15:35 pm »

South/Central Florida bred, long legged and block headed.  No bluffing or ass grabbing tolerated, straight "head" dogs Wink 

Catchin hogs cracker style
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2019, 04:32:05 pm »

How many do you have on the ground at a time

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2019, 04:32:36 pm »

Before they'll catch out

warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2019, 05:16:04 pm »

Any dog I feed is expected to be able to wind, find, stop, and "attempt" to anchor it's own hog. I've been known to hunt 2 dogs together at times, and even 3 if I am with buddies. We hunt no more than 3 dogs on the ground at any time. I'm down to one dog these days here in Tn. Hard to keep a family of dogs going when I'm 10 hrs North of those who are breeding them. These dogs are not for everyone and no one around here has any interest in them, so it's hard to breed and "place" dogs close. We keep a small set of cows here. Dogs are cowdogs, first and foremost. I still enjoy keeping the freezer full of fresh sausage from time to time, Grin though   

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2019, 06:17:43 pm »

Hey it's what works for and makes the man feeding them happy. No right or wrong. Post some pics if you can

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2019, 07:06:38 pm »

What do you do if if its "attempt" fails??
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2019, 09:33:47 pm »

What do you do if if its "attempt" fails??
Sir, I should not have to explain "attempt to anchor and hold" to you. My dogs are cowdogs first, and are bred to have the heart to go to the front of  6+ weight cattle, hang the nose or ear to stop and then "anchor" on command. As you know, there ain't a dog alive going to "anchor" every one they are sent on. Run over, stomped, horned, or run off with, still hanging, slung into trees are all hazards of a "catchdog". "Attempt" to hold and anchor is the term I use to cover these hazards. As for hogs, there ain't one alive that better back them up. He may cut them down, break them up inside, or flat out kill them, but if they are still able, on my command, they will be coming. If their attempt fails, they will keep trying to get to that head to stop a running hog. Once the hog is stopped they will come off and set up within a foot of his nose, keeping his undivided attention until I get there. That would be the stock sense bred into them Wink  If they fall 6 hundred + yards behind a running hog, I want them back. Handle is a must with me.

warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2019, 09:43:09 pm »

Hey it's what works for and makes the man feeding them happy. No right or wrong. Post some pics if you can

Not smart enough to post pics myself. The dog I am feeding now is the Black and Tan Cur back through my pages. He will be 3 yrs old  come Thanksgiving. He is proving to be a fine example of a Fl bred cur catchdog. Wink He helps pen mine and a few neighbors cattle, and keeps free range pork in my freezer Wink

Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2019, 10:55:20 pm »

Land sharks  Wink
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2019, 08:53:23 am »

I like 'um to catch "smart", not suicidal. If a hog will stop forward motion, they will come off and bay tight till I get there. The catch is there when I need it. Not a style for everyone, but it's what I was raised into. Lots of other styles that produce pork and pen cattle out there though. No right or wrong, only what one prefers. Catch 'um up fellers.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2019, 09:24:42 am »

I ask this not trying to be a smart butt, but trying to measure the stock sense mentality. When your dogs are baying tight and not caught, is that on all hogs or just the bad. The reason I ask, is because on cattle, if they are catching yearlins then they are likely costing you money. If cattle gather or bunch I understand the technique, but most dogs that are as gritty as you describe, catch out when pressure isn't put on them to back up, like a bad boar would put on them. I guess what I'm getting at is, they are smart enough to bay a bad hog when they get him shut down, are they going to bay the smaller ones too if they set up or just catch out? Is catching their first nature or is baying? Or, do you have to teach them to back up on cattle? I know from experience that all dogs aren't good on all cattle. There are just some that are rougher than need be on certain sets of cattle and others that aren't rough enough. I'm honestly just trying to get a feel nothing else.

warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2019, 10:53:49 am »

No problem bud. Stopping forward movement of cattle or hogs is there first instinct, however rough they have to get to accomplish that. Mine will work cows the same as hogs. This being said, there are very few places these days that I get to hunt, where hogs will actually stay together long enough to bunch. I have had them bunch and ring full sounders(sows, pigs, and shoats), same as they would cattle, as they should, but these days, on the places I hunt, this seldom happens, especially these Russian hogs here in these SE Tn mountains. A single hog is stopped from the front. Once stopped, I want them off and in the hogs face, tight, regardless of how big the hog is. We sold a lot of hogs back in the day, along with keeping our own pork. Chewed up hogs or cattle is a death sentence around here. They are to get rough on the "head" and no place else. This is what we breed for. Like any other line of dogs, there is a lot of culling to reach this desired trait. I can't keep as many dogs as I would like here in Tn. Not having grown dogs to run this dog I have now with, I've had to work him a little in a pen with a collar to get him to come off and bay, especially smaller hogs. Handle is a must with me and I won't tolerate a dog without one. This dog now will not put a mouth on a shoat or even think about touching a calf, as it should be. This comes natural in most of these dogs, but there is always exceptions. No different than most other well bred working lines of cur cowdogs. Ours are bred to be a little 'ranker" than others, there is no doubt about that. Having control of the "catch" in a cow bred curdog is priceless. Again, not for everyone and there are a lot of different styles that will work, but this is how we roll around and below Lake Okeechobee, which is where I am from Wink Hunt 'um up.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2019, 11:36:25 am »

Cool deal

sacatchdog
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2019, 07:07:59 am »

Hi goose87, ive done some phoning and the two different bloodlines are from tyler stirek and glancy strickland! I do not know these breeders or kennel owners, as i said these walker hounds is a new thing for me! I only bought some of these hounds to try them!
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2019, 12:59:53 pm »

Hi goose87, ive done some phoning and the two different bloodlines are from tyler stirek and glancy strickland! I do not know these breeders or kennel owners, as i said these walker hounds is a new thing for me! I only bought some of these hounds to try them!

Travis Stirek owns Strawberry Mt Kennels which are treeing walkers and has been breeding his same line for a long time. I have heard very good things about his dogs.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: