April 18, 2024, 04:38:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gun breaking ???  (Read 2457 times)
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2019, 05:08:42 am »

Yes Reuben in understand, but my point is that the dogs I’m referencing have all had the same type of interaction, bonding, training etc...it’s just that some of them don’t care for the gunshot.

A few years ago a rancher’s son had a dog that caught a cow while we were hunting.  I went into reaction mode and jumped in to gather the dog.  I probably should just flipped her and waited on him to get there and help, but didn’t. As soon as I broke them up she turned on me and got me down. My dogs heard the ruckus and immediately went to my aid when saw what was going on. Two strike dogs and a stag cross that are 100% cow broke, but did what they thought they had to do that day and stopped when they needed to. Two of those three dogs are extremely gun shy. Their actions that day was a result of our daily interaction and trust and loyalty for each other as they have seen me jump into their battles many times.  All I’m trying to say with my experience they either like guns or don’t.  It’s not from a lack of time put into a dog. I’ve been given some nice GSPs that were top bloodlines, but gunshy. Personally, I’d rather mine be gunshy than not with all these damn deer hunters from the city around me.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2019, 10:22:00 am »

The more gun shy mine are the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2019, 03:02:47 pm »

When I hounded bears I could have half a litter every other year that would straight head for the barn when a gun went off ,some that got the fire in there eyes when a gun went off and some that wouldn't break a second while on the tree when a gun went off. Had 1 that would put 1 up by herself,  chopped over 100 times a minute actually won tree contest with her several times....as soon as she saw you with a gun walking to the tree she would run off and hide ,but after you made your shot you better heads up cause she was coming to eat whatever you fell. My opinion you can help a gun shy dog but your not gonna cure em.
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2019, 03:04:58 pm »

Not stealing the thread but by the space in between that bears head and how short his ears are ,about 400 lbs.  Just saying darn good flat foot
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: