April 28, 2024, 07:49:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pit cur mixes  (Read 7469 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 03:54:08 pm »

Do a search for puppy training and breeding, there is some awesome knowledge on here. Reuben, Goose, and quite a few others have covered those topics several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 07:59:24 pm »

Thanks man

Mathews mission venture
RaisinKane
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 11:12:08 am »

Good read ... we have a litter due at the end of this month. Father is a big, long legged , Foundation BMC and mother is a game bred gyp ( Boudreaux / Frisco/Mims )  hoping they work out.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 02:36:24 pm »

I like to hide there food and see which pups use their nose the most to find it.

Most pit/cur mixes ive been around are not straight catch but are gritty. Not the greatest hunting dogs but will hunt.

The ones that are straight catch make great cds imo bc of the added endurance etc the cur adds, but ive seen many bred like this and only 2 were straight catch. One was a cat/pit other was a blue heeler/pit mix.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 08:58:02 pm »

A long long time ago I had one I used for a catch dog on cattle if we were catching single idiots, a buddy of mine had a pit gyp he wanted to breed to my BMC dog and I let him and took a pup. He would not catch around a bunch of cattle, in fact was a pretty good baydog but was out of place some compared to the BM's, but if I put him on one of anything he was a straight solid catch dog. I  saw an old big rank cow pick him up and carry him back to the bunch a few times and once the other cattle hooked him off the cow he had caught but it cost her a mouthful of nose. He wouldn't even catch one that ran off from the bunch unless I took after it. He was the only half and half  I ever had any dealings with.  I have had several Curdogs that figured out the game and would catch if we were after a single cow  and I had my rope down, but weren't rough the rest of the time.
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2021, 03:11:17 am »

Had lost every pup out of the liter except the one I had gave away. I got her back due to the guy leaving for work and she is as green as grass but luckily was a house dog so she has some handle. I haven't shown her one yet but she left my feet and went a ways my first time taking her

Mathews mission venture
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2021, 05:51:52 am »

Here’s a pit/cut my friend just picked up.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2021, 07:59:40 am »

That’s a nice looking dog

chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2021, 05:19:04 am »

Looks like he got the better half of the breeding lol.  Mine looks like her momma the pit just a little narrower head and a dark brindle. Real small dog. I picked up a several liters of my wife's granfathers accidents this year. Neighbors pit bred like 3 of his cat cur cow dogs in one swing. Finally gave away all of them but the one that knew if he got caught he was getting put up. So he's been hunting rabbits and varmints since he was old enough to get away from me. Got him caught last week and put on a chain. He may make a dog him and his brother caught a 40 pet pig when they were like 2-3 months maybe even younger. and the pig was not happy i was more surprised and in shock and awe while my wife was freaking out.

Mathews mission venture
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2021, 06:33:05 pm »

One thing I’ve learned over time is that ingredients make a recipe but only the baker can makes the cake.

No matter what they’re born as, they’ll only be as good as the effort you put in to them is what I mean. I’ve long been opposed to crossing bulldog into my curs, but the truth is that one of my all time favorite knuckleheads had 1/4 pit in him.

I’ve got a long list of good stories about him, but my favorite is the time he ran himself crippled.
The dogs name was Snicklefritz and he had gotten a horrible cut under one of his front arms. The tusk had cut up under the armpit and separated a bunch of the connective tissue. I treated it as best I could but he was unbelievably hard headed and wouldn’t stay off of it to let it heal properly. The wound took much longer to heal than I thought it should have and staying home on the chain was pure torture for Snicklefritz. Several weeks had passed since the wound had fully closed and he LOOKED like he was fully recovered, so when I was invited to hunt a rice field where the hogs run pretty bad I decided it’d be nice to have him along to anchor some of them running jokers.
As soon as we dropped the tailgate that evening, a few of my straight curs burned out of sight and fell bayed in a ditch with 1 minute of casting. I let Snick go from the truck, me and the fella I was with headed that way and caught that first hog. As soon as we had our hands on it, Snick let go and went to find the full blood curs which had rolled off the first hog as soon as snick had caught it. This exact scenario repeated itself over a dozen times in the next hour or two until, at the last hog, a monster sow in a rice canal, I noticed that Snicklefritz couldn’t climb out of the water.

I carried him out of the canal and found that his recently healed shoulder had COMPLETELY separated internally and he’d been running, baying, catching and rolling out on his good shoulder at top speed for at least half the hunt! By that last hog, his good arm was so weak that he couldn’t hold himself upright on it even if standing still.

I put him on the ground to make room for him on my ATV and when I turned to pick him up I couldn’t find him. As I scanned the area with my flashlight, I saw grass parting itself like a ghost was headed towards the woods! I ran him down and found this dog with his front legs laid straight under him, his face in the dirt and his backside up in the air, chugging like a locomotive, driving him on to find another hog!

I never did get pups out of him, but in hindsight, I’d say he sure taught me to humble myself a bit when thinking of genetics and cross breeds, and to thank the Lord for a good dog, no matter how he made them!

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 09:56:12 pm »

Pretty impressive drive in that ole dog t-bob.

chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2021, 08:37:09 am »

I agree. The ones with that kind of drive are the real deal.

Mathews mission venture
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2021, 12:31:43 pm »

T-Bob, that’s an awesome story and a hell of a dog it sounds like.

I just made what I hope to be the best cross this blood has seen. My mentor crossed a hell of a Ladner BMC named Bo to an 80lb lean game pit that he had called Black Betty. They did this cross 3 times and every single puppy made a good to great dog and were clones of each other. The dad was a papered Ladner and the mom came from some old game blood that was very well bred. Every single one of them was damn near suicidal rough and would catch and hold like the best bull dog you could ask for. All but one of them was 100% silent. The semi open one was so fast that it didn’t matter. Well friendships fell apart and those dogs have almost all been killed. My old lead dog Dum Dum was one of them, and I had his littermate sister who I put up and retired after he got killed. There’s only one other original female and the guy that has her burned bridges with everyone so she might as well be dead. There was only one attempt to further this line by anyone else. The guy that owned the original male took a female from the cross back to her dad.

There is only one dog still alive from that cross, a male. He’s been absolutely wrecked and is crippled now. His back leg had the Achilles’ tendon severed and he has no use of it, and every inch of him is scarred up and battered. He is still a machine in the woods and will pull hogs out of thin air. Well he is the nephew to my female, as well as her half brother. A guy I know recently bought the dog and so we locked them up. These pups (if she took, I’m crossing my fingers and praying on this one) will have the original male 3x and the original female 2x and be bred extremely tight. If all goes well, there will be an established line that I will continue after these pups get old enough to prove themselves.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2021, 07:50:10 pm »

Nice looking pair of dogs bud

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2021, 08:13:08 pm »

It wouldn't hurt to take a female off that cross back to sire and a male back to the dame, tighten the lighten up real tight when your first starting to establish it and being as they are a few more off kin (2-3 generations removed from same common ancestor, 1st and 2nd cousins, aunts and uncles) you could be able to do what I call the wagon wheel method of breeding, starting from a solid tight core (hub) and having branches to go down (spokes) all while keeping it in the same circle( wheel), play your cards right and you won't have to worry about breeding yourself into a corner with each new generation and be able to stay within the same core gene pool...
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2021, 09:20:53 pm »

Thanks guys. Goose, that’s sorta the plan. I am hoping to take a good female back to the male from this cross and continue to grow the line out as well as down so that there are more options. This pairing was the stars aligning since there are no other dogs that can make this cross to continue the blood from the original crosses. I’ve thought about how to do this for years and it looks like it will finally work out

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2021, 11:13:11 pm »

Thanks guys. Goose, that’s sorta the plan. I am hoping to take a good female back to the male from this cross and continue to grow the line out as well as down so that there are more options. This pairing was the stars aligning since there are no other dogs that can make this cross to continue the blood from the original crosses. I’ve thought about how to do this for years and it looks like it will finally work out

Great things come to good folks who try do all the right things and at all the right times and who are willing to devote the patience, hoping this works out for you, just judging by knowing you on here these last few years you've definitely earned my respect, keeping up with you on here and following your journey with your dogs. Keep it up brother your investment of all the sweat equity you've paid in is not far from starting to pay you great dividends, not speaking in dog power but one day looking at where your at and what you got In this game and then reflecting on the journey you traveled getting there the adventures the dogs have taken you and the memories made and the feeling of accomplishment that comes with it is the greatest return on investment you'll ever receive...
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2021, 07:09:14 am »

Thanks for the kind words Goose! Before I even joined this forum I spent months and literally read through every single thread on the site. I’ve learned so much from ETHD, it has been a huge help and a lot of fun. I tell people all the time that my passion is the dogs and watching a good one work. We have to kill almost all of the hogs we catch, but I could care less about killing one. I try to just sit back and watch my dogs while someone else does the knifing. I just hope that one day I have a yard full of my own mutts that work exactly how I want them too. I’ve got a set of young dogs right now that are off a breeding I did last year. They’re not tight at all but the two males I kept are impressing everyone that has hunted with them, and they’re just under 12 months old. I am wanting to roll the dice and use them as an outcross in to these Bo Betty dogs once they’re tightened up some more. They would bring some more size to these black dogs, and they have an insane amount of drive and endurance. I don’t want to derail this thread though, so I will create a new one. I’d like to hear more about the wagon wheel method of breeding.

-Austin

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: