April 28, 2024, 06:52:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question: should this spike be shot?  (Read 4551 times)
LionandBoarHunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 09:24:13 pm »

i am ready for alittle deer meat my self i was kinda eye ballin a axis doe today but got to thinkin about havin to clean it Grin

They Call It The Hill Country I Call It Home !
The more people I'm around the more I like my dogs !!
ROOT HOG OR DIE
pig snatcher
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 09:47:31 pm »

popped one earlier this week, sent it off to have some jalapeno summer sausage, slim jims and some other stuff made.   Smiley Need one or two more for back straps, jerky and hash.

Been putting a serious dent in my supply of gator tail these last few weeks.   Evil
dgdawsonBMCs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 10:36:09 pm »

Depends on what you want...If you want tender meat shoot him...If however, you want to manage deer let him walk.  that is a yearling buck and genetics are only a part of the equation.  was it a late deer, and he didn't have time to stock up on minerals to grow a decent rack?  Did he have access to plenty of good food?  You have to know those things about your area before you pull the trigger for management...

I will add that some of the management ideas I see on this board are about 20 years old...  I grew up in Northeast Louisiana along the Mississippi river.  I had to tell my Papaw for years that it was good to shoot a doe....He would argue with me till he died.  I told him that not shooting does is good managment for trying to restock the woods with deer, but once you have plenty of deer on your property, if you don't shoot some of the does it will affect the quality of bucks you can kill.  He never did agree...Wish I could show him the quality of bucks we take off of that same land today.  I have no doubt that he would be amazed..
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 09:03:51 pm »

let him walk he is young
southernwelding
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 09:13:17 pm »

that is a yearling and should not be shot let grow
boomerdog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 04:42:44 pm »

we had some fawns born in late august so a late start is probaly just the  problem
Dirtydog
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 07:41:59 am »

how old is he ? how does rest of herd look ? what is you long term goal ?  meat or horns ?

Danged ole dirtydog !
LIVING THA DREAM !!!
Bump
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 10:28:30 am »

I went to A&M and was in this field as well.

I can tell you this is a topic where no one will agree. Some biologists and/or managers will tell you they are all inferior and kill them all and the other half with tell you to give them a few years.

Young spikes could possibly be out of a late crop and didnt mature....so there are exceptions to the rule.

I think all long horned spikes are inferior and should be culled.

Rex Bumpus
Jasonmac
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 11:19:43 am »

no dont shoott him let him grow if he is a spike next year wack him but as you can see he is just a baby.

B & M Wild Hog Removal Services
leifbarnes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 12:57:37 pm »

My opinion,  Like many others have said you have some people on each side of the fence.

Shoot would be my first instinct but you should also take into consideration the local deer population and B to D ratio.  Most places are overpopulated with deer and proper surveys are not done to get a somewhat effective management plan.  A written lease rule is follwed from year to year and not varied at all. 

Ultimately age and nutrition are going to grow your big bucks.

Here is some good information that is fairly non bias;

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_rp_w7000_0828.pdf

Eric Barnes
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: