April 18, 2024, 06:24:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pseudorabies vaccine?  (Read 661 times)
jstankus
Bay Dog

Cracker Curs

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2019, 07:37:03 am »

Anyone know if there's a pseudorabies vaccine available? Was talking with someone who lost some dogs to it and it sounds like one hog could wipe a whole pack of dogs. Any insight would be great.
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 07:05:17 pm »

There is no vaccine for dogs. They have one for hogs but you have to go through an act of Congress to get it. I talked to my Vet about  pseudorabies and he thought that a low dose series of swine vaccine would give a dog a certain level of immunity. When he ordered it the state came down on him, wanting to know who had the hogs, how many, and where they were located. He told them he wanted some to keep on hand but to just cancel the order.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
jstankus
Bay Dog

Cracker Curs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 07:28:06 am »

I actually read a research study where they tested the vaccine on dogs and the survival rate was 15-20%, so really there's nothing effective controlling it. If I'm wrong, let me know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: