March 29, 2024, 12:54:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pride 31/22  (Read 1323 times)
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2019, 11:20:33 pm »

Any body feeding this it’s about $10 less than victor teal bag at my local store. Was feeding black value pac and was having a hard time keeping weight on a few of my dogs. Going to also be getting the ingredients tomorrow to make satin balls for the underweight ones.

Mathews mission venture
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 04:50:12 am »

Cheston nobody around me carries pride. I feed the silver valu pak, it's a 24/20 which is the same ratio as the black if I remember correctly. The difference is the ingredients. The black has corn or grain protein where the silver has no grain or soy or chicken-by-products. If we have a pretty cold winter I might bump them up to a 26% protein. I'm not trying to be a know it all so I hope it doesn't sound that way. The protein source is extremely important in your feed. They tell how much the protein content of the feed is but they don't tell how much is usable protein. Corn is hard for a dog to digest or break down. If you watch their stool, you can see peices of it in there for that very reason which means they got nothing out of it. If you feed them a piece of steak or chicken you won't see pieces of it because they can break it down. Chicken-by-products are the left overs, the heads and beaks, the feet, and the feathers. Feathers are super high in protein but again, even ground down, the dog can't break it down to get any use of it.  So if that is the bulk of your protein source you may as well have pitched it in the dirt because that's where it's going to end up anyway. Soy is bad too. Its digestible but it produces a chemical that the body confuses for estrogen. It's a factor in people as well. Babies that are raised on soy formulas have lots of side effects from it as they get older. A vast majority of little boys that develope man boobs were soy formula babies. Little girls that mature real early or have really poor minstrel cycles are more times than not soy formula babies. Many of the boys raised on it have low testosterone as well. I'm sceptical of pea protein myself because it is a close cousin to soy. Another thing is how much protein to feed. In Texas heat, the more protein you feed the hotter your dogs are going to get. They can only use so much protein. Any excess has to be passed and in order to do that it takes calcium. If they aren't getting enough calcium in their diet then it takes calcium from the body to rid itself of the excess protein. The muscles and bones and all need that calcium so it can lead to dogs having weaker bone, fatigue, and can burn the kidneys up if it's too awful much. Again I don't mean to sound like a know it all, just putting it out there. It's yours to decide what to do with it. You may already know everything I've stated.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 06:49:06 am »

Cheston, I haven’t used the specific bag but I’m using pride. I switched from the red bag of victor (high energy 24/20) because it was costing $43/40lb bag. Now I feed the orange bag of pride (27/20) and it’s only $26/50lb bag. The dogs look just as good and they perform great on it. Good stools too, they’re dark and solid. Other than that I occasionally feed a raw meal, which will consist of random hog parts. I’ll freeze the pigs and then chop them up with an axe and separate bone, meat, organs, etc... and then make each dog a bowl with a ratio of each part, obviously meat being the main ingredient.

T-dog, thanks for all that info. I was under the impression that high protein food actually helps against heat stroke, I read it on here a while ago. I didn’t know that too much protein could actually cause a heat stroke and didn’t know it could lead to weakened bones. Great knowledge to pass around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 08:22:06 am »

I nearly learned it the hard way once. I thought I was helping my dogs and I poured the protein to them. I noticed when I went to load them that they were all panting hard. That was odd to me. I knew they were wound up knowing they were going hunting but shouldn't have been to that extreme. We went on hunting and an hour into the hunt everything I had was layed out in the water spent. It was so bad I loaded up and wet home. I noticed it everyday after that. They were hot in their kennels and even more so when they got excited about feeding or anything else. Since it was all the dogs I knew it had to be something I was doing or had changed. The different thing was the way I was feeding. I backed off the protein and things returned to normal but I almost heat stroked the whole bunch.

chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 09:55:22 am »

T dog thanks for the heads up I was under the impression the black bag was free of that stuff.  I had looked into the link between high protein and kidney failure and found a lot of different points from. Both  sides of the board. The statement about hi protein feeds and heat makes sense one dog was getting fed victor teal bag because I could never get him to his original state and one normal morning about burnt up. I need to do more looking into ingredients and b looking for the main key words because I’ve alwaus thought I wasn’t ever feeding my dogs “McDonald’s “  or some low quality feed unless it was a complete have too. l. I’d like to take pride in what I’m feeding them and stick to it even if they’re trashing number 2 eaters. And would also like something that works for the whole pack not including my cur that’s had a weight problem a month into having him. I guess he must not be digesting everything because this week I had two dogs on different occasions eat his waste. And I guess that would mean they’re not getting enough protein on their end. After looking into pride more there is a lot of by product. I am going to buy a few weeks worth of feed today and hopefully like it also make some satin balls . Another question is how fast do y’all go through a bag of feed with the amount of dogs you have

Mathews mission venture
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 10:56:01 am »

I’m now down to only 5 dogs after getting rid of a female, getting rid of pups, and losing Dum Dum and Thorn. This is how my feeding breaks down per day...

My Female pit x cur : 2 cups

Her 3/4 pit x 1/4 cur : 2 cups

My two cur pups from Justin : 4 cups

My male Ladner BMC : 3 cups

I change how much I feed based on how the dogs are looking. If they thin down from running hard I’ll bump it up. If it’s winter I’ll bump it up so they stay warm, and if it’s summer I’ll adjust feeding as needed to keep them in good running shape. I always feed pups/young dogs more. I had pups from the same litter as a friend, I poured the food to them and gave them good puppy food. He fed all of his dogs together so pups got to eat after grown dogs so they didn’t get as much. And they were on standard dog food. My pups were twice the size of his after a few months. Now with that being said once they hit about a year old they were all about the same. But I think pups need more food to properly grow, just like a child. I also like to give young dogs raw meat when I can because of the same reasons. I feel they need all the nutrients they can get.

Also when I adjust food I do it in half cup increments, that seems to work well with my dogs. And when I say a cup I’m talking about an actual measuring cup for cooking.

T-dog, do you change your protein/fat throughout the year or do you feed the same bag?

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 12:00:54 pm »

I think you're doing right. That's about the same way I feed and I judge their body condition daily. I feed the same bag year around unless it gets really cold and stays cold, then I might bump it up. I like to keep the feed as regular as I can.

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 12:07:34 pm »

Cheston nobody around me carries pride. I feed the silver valu pak, it's a 24/20 which is the same ratio as the black if I remember correctly. The difference is the ingredients. The black has corn or grain protein where the silver has no grain or soy or chicken-by-products. If we have a pretty cold winter I might bump them up to a 26% protein. I'm not trying to be a know it all so I hope it doesn't sound that way. The protein source is extremely important in your feed. They tell how much the protein content of the feed is but they don't tell how much is usable protein. Corn is hard for a dog to digest or break down. If you watch their stool, you can see peices of it in there for that very reason which means they got nothing out of it. If you feed them a piece of steak or chicken you won't see pieces of it because they can break it down. Chicken-by-products are the left overs, the heads and beaks, the feet, and the feathers. Feathers are super high in protein but again, even ground down, the dog can't break it down to get any use of it.  So if that is the bulk of your protein source you may as well have pitched it in the dirt because that's where it's going to end up anyway. Soy is bad too. Its digestible but it produces a chemical that the body confuses for estrogen. It's a factor in people as well. Babies that are raised on soy formulas have lots of side effects from it as they get older. A vast majority of little boys that develope man boobs were soy formula babies. Little girls that mature real early or have really poor minstrel cycles are more times than not soy formula babies. Many of the boys raised on it have low testosterone as well. I'm sceptical of pea protein myself because it is a close cousin to soy. Another thing is how much protein to feed. In Texas heat, the more protein you feed the hotter your dogs are going to get. They can only use so much protein. Any excess has to be passed and in order to do that it takes calcium. If they aren't getting enough calcium in their diet then it takes calcium from the body to rid itself of the excess protein. The muscles and bones and all need that calcium so it can lead to dogs having weaker bone, fatigue, and can burn the kidneys up if it's too awful much. Again I don't mean to sound like a know it all, just putting it out there. It's yours to decide what to do with it. You may already know everything I've stated.

You know what you know man, and sounds like you’ve made it a point to be informed. I knew soy wasn’t good for them. That’s why I have switched to river run from red flannel about a year ago because river run is soy free. Was not however aware why it was bad for them.

I feed the river run High Pro which is a 27-15 from about November through February and then I’ll jump back to the river run go pro which is 24-20 for rest of year. All 5 of my dogs. Two 1 year old, a 2 year old, and two 3 year olds, get fed a 3 quart horse scoop every other day. People hear me say that and freak out, but I would not be scared to walk you or the man on the moon out to my dog pens because they look good. Dogs hold weight great, have plenty of energy for hunting or all day penning cows, and I don’t clean my dog pens probably half as much as I used too.

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 12:15:11 pm »

I have stopped the stool eating on several occasions one of 2 ways. Probiotics usually fix it. Probiotics are the biggest reason dogs eat grass. The grass has them on it and the know it. All animals need roughage, that's the other reason they normally eat it. If probiotics don't fix it I have fixed it with spinach. The spinach provides roughage along with iron and other nutrients. If that don't work ask your vet to run blood work. I've noticed that the dogs that get out of the kennel the most do it less often than those confined. Boredom may ay a role sometimes too.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 10:52:34 am »

Slim, I agree with you on feeding every other day. I’m away from the house a lot and my wife works crazy shifts so most of the time I double feed them so that I can skip a day. The dogs don’t miss a beat and look the exact same. There’s only about once or twice a week that I single feed them, if that, and they’re fine. It’s similar to just leaving food out 24/7, some of the dogs will eat it over the two days instead of eating it at one time.

Quick23
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 06:08:33 pm »

Switched from victor 24/20 to pride 31/22 and it mad a world of difference!!!! Only thing I’m buying

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 07:11:32 pm »

Slim, I agree with you on feeding every other day. I’m away from the house a lot and my wife works crazy shifts so most of the time I double feed them so that I can skip a day. The dogs don’t miss a beat and look the exact same. There’s only about once or twice a week that I single feed them, if that, and they’re fine. It’s similar to just leaving food out 24/7, some of the dogs will eat it over the two days instead of eating it at one time.

I’m with you quick, I’m sticking with the pride. Victor is just way too overpriced, I won’t go back to it

Quick23
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 07:14:55 pm »

I’m with you quick, I’m sticking with the pride. Victor is just way too overpriced, I won’t go back to it

Yes sir man i was paying 43 dollars for a 40lb sack of victor. I can buy a 50lb of that pride 31/22 for 29 and from the way my dogs are looking and performing it’s better feed. My dogs actually look better health wise on pride and i didn’t switch anything but the feed

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: