March 29, 2024, 06:50:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shep x Cur, who’s done it and has something to say about it  (Read 4099 times)
Hunt the Grunt
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 08:28:36 am »

Definitely would cross with a Mal before a Sheppard. I have some full blooded mals and two that are Malinois Greyhound and Pit cross. They are bad news. I mainly use them with thermal and night vision as sight dogs but only cause they're so gritty. They will take a track and hunt like nobody's business to though. We're friends on FB so you may have seen some videos of them from time to time.

I have a line of bird dog crosses I hunt right now but been kicking the idea of working in some Malinois blood into my daylight dogs. I really would like to find the right Plott dog to cross to a malinois.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 03:16:01 pm »

Little off the line of thought but I stopped by and old friends house the other day and saw he had the most athletic and well put together border collie female I’ve ever seen, very quick on her feet and extremely agile and sharp as a tack and very well bred just going off first impressions, the thought had been in the back of my mind for a while to find one to cross with the bobcat blooded walker crosses I have but I wasn’t going to put forth any effort in the search, as luck would have it this one came along and is the exact type of specimen I’d like to cross with, my male Ben seems to be putting the brains his family is already known for in his offspring, I’m excited to see the outcome, they’re going to be a little longer coated than ideal and I imagine I might lose some bottom but and I gambling on the gains that could come along will outweigh what’s left in the table....
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 03:46:56 pm »

Definitely would cross with a Mal before a Sheppard. I have some full blooded mals and two that are Malinois Greyhound and Pit cross. They are bad news. I mainly use them with thermal and night vision as sight dogs but only cause they're so gritty. They will take a track and hunt like nobody's business to though. We're friends on FB so you may have seen some videos of them from time to time.

I have a line of bird dog crosses I hunt right now but been kicking the idea of working in some Malinois blood into my daylight dogs. I really would like to find the right Plott dog to cross to a malinois.

I always wondered if my mals would bay or catch. Yours are catch??? I know for sure they would hunt and had the endurance and speed to do so, but was to worried to try them in the woods in fear they would catch out a mile away. I didnt want to risk it as the 2 i had were such good guard dogs it wasnt worth it to experiment 4 me, and not like i didnt have strike a catch dogs that worked just fine anyhow...
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 03:49:04 pm »

Little off the line of thought but I stopped by and old friends house the other day and saw he had the most athletic and well put together border collie female I’ve ever seen, very quick on her feet and extremely agile and sharp as a tack and very well bred just going off first impressions, the thought had been in the back of my mind for a while to find one to cross with the bobcat blooded walker crosses I have but I wasn’t going to put forth any effort in the search, as luck would have it this one came along and is the exact type of specimen I’d like to cross with, my male Ben seems to be putting the brains his family is already known for in his offspring, I’m excited to see the outcome, they’re going to be a little longer coated than ideal and I imagine I might lose some bottom but and I gambling on the gains that could come along will outweigh what’s left in the table....

personally id be worried about their bay style - good luck though. Dr long from A&M has collie / BMC crosses that are pretty nice ive heard of (no personal knowledge) but thats where id start researching.
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 04:13:49 pm »

I have a cowboy buddy uses border collies for his cow work.... they will bay a hog and keep it sitting long enough for him to get close enough to get a rope on it,if he says "get a hold" they will pile on like tics. I imagine if a guy had some that worked on hogs he could do just fine
Hunt the Grunt
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2020, 07:40:13 am »

I always wondered if my mals would bay or catch. Yours are catch??? I know for sure they would hunt and had the endurance and speed to do so, but was to worried to try them in the woods in fear they would catch out a mile away. I didnt want to risk it as the 2 i had were such good guard dogs it wasnt worth it to experiment 4 me, and not like i didnt have strike a catch dogs that worked just fine anyhow...

My Mal crosses are 1/2 Mal 5/16 Greyhound 3/16 Pit. Very fast and athletic and catch as hard as any bulldog I've seen. My full blooded Mal yard dog will bay a bad hog but if/when he catches he don't let go. He runs loose and keeps strange people off the property.

Funny story... One day I was at home sick and on the couch in my boxers. I heard him outside raising straight hell. It went on for about 10 minutes and I got up to see what he was up to and he had about a 350 pound black guy up on the hood of his car bayed up! I hollered at him and he sat down and never took his eyes off of him. The guy said sir can you get your dog, i'm such and such with the Jehovahs Witnesses and wanted to talk. Told him I was sick and not interested at the time. Never seen him again lol
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2020, 09:21:53 am »

Hunt the grunt, lmao that’s a good one. I had two ladies with jehovas witness come to my door and I didn’t feel like answering it. I was watching them on my cameras and as soon as they rang the doorbell all the dogs started raising hell in the kennels on the backside of the house and they bout fell trying to run back to the car. They never came back lol.

Do you have pictures of your dogs? That sounds like an interesting cross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Hunt the Grunt
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2020, 01:12:33 pm »

The brindles are the crosses and the red ones are full blooded.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2020, 04:32:36 pm »

That sounds like some cool cds very athletic i bet, the 2 mals i had were great guard dogs after about 18 mo old... cool breed for sure. check out 187 kennels of FB
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2020, 05:57:52 pm »

Man the brindle in the second picture is looking sharp. I see lots of people that will put 1/8 pit in their dogs to make them rough, or 1/8 hound for a bit more nose, but haven’t seen people do 1/8 Malinois for anything. I wonder why, they have incredible amounts of drive, athletic ability, and also good noses.

Hunt the Grunt
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 06:01:27 pm »

Man the brindle in the second picture is looking sharp. I see lots of people that will put 1/8 pit in their dogs to make them rough, or 1/8 hound for a bit more nose, but haven’t seen people do 1/8 Malinois for anything. I wonder why, they have incredible amounts of drive, athletic ability, and also good noses.

I’m working on it. Slowly but surely. Got a line of bird dog crosses that I invest most of my kennel space and time on

msula87
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 07:28:45 pm »

what's in the bird dog crosses and what are you using them for?
Hunt the Grunt
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2020, 04:33:25 pm »

They’re hog dogs too. They are mostly birddog with a touch of bulldog, hound, and bmc. And even a leopard dog in there a little ways back.

Basically you know how anywhere you go there are “local legends”? The dogs that when you mention their name, anyone from that area who has been hunting for a while will immediately know? Over the years I’ve either gotten pups directly off of or bred my females to 5 different “local legends”.  I say local but they spread out all across Ga. Two of those are straight birddog which is why mine are more birddog than anything.

So I’ve bred best to best and crossed them to point that I now have two litters that can all be traced back to the 5 dogs mentioned above. From here I plan on tightening up the line with what I got.

Probably more than you wanted to know but you got it lol

BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2020, 07:09:47 pm »

What kind of nose and bottom are you consistently getting with the bird dog crosses?
Hunt the Grunt
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2020, 10:10:41 pm »

What kind of nose and bottom are you consistently getting with the bird dog crosses?
They have plenty of bottom, they dang sure don’t like to quit. They wind pretty good but they’ll put their noses down and grind out a track as well. They have a hotter nose about like most cur dogs but they hunt out pretty good and once they’re in hogs they’re all I could ask for.

msula87
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 07:02:00 pm »

It's never more than I want to know! Us newbies can't learn if people like you aren't willing to share, so thank you. I like bird hunting a lot, but also am crazy about the handful of times I've been pig hunting over the past decade or so. I'm thinking of a pointer crossed to a greyhound for birds, pigs, and some faster things. I know when you start mixing things up hoping for the best of both worlds it rarely works out that way, but it's certainly been on my mind for awhile.

That's awesome you've been able to pull off such great blood. Sounds like a nice line you're building!

They’re hog dogs too. They are mostly birddog with a touch of bulldog, hound, and bmc. And even a leopard dog in there a little ways back.

Basically you know how anywhere you go there are “local legends”? The dogs that when you mention their name, anyone from that area who has been hunting for a while will immediately know? Over the years I’ve either gotten pups directly off of or bred my females to 5 different “local legends”.  I say local but they spread out all across Ga. Two of those are straight birddog which is why mine are more birddog than anything.

So I’ve bred best to best and crossed them to point that I now have two litters that can all be traced back to the 5 dogs mentioned above. From here I plan on tightening up the line with what I got.

Probably more than you wanted to know but you got it lol

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2020, 03:45:21 pm »

Ive got a real nice male malinois with leg, speed ,endurance, prey drive etc if  any of yall want to breed to him let me know. I dont want anything for it just feed back on how they turn out  Grin
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2020, 11:10:32 am »

Ive got a real nice male malinois with leg, speed ,endurance, prey drive etc if  any of yall want to breed to him let me know. I dont want anything for it just feed back on how they turn out  Grin

I would be curious to see more people make these crosses

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: