April 23, 2024, 11:32:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maintenance hunt  (Read 998 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2020, 08:08:37 am »

Southeast central Texas. For the most part,  we have nearly perfect conditions for them. We have lots of woods with several different types of oaks and pecan trees too. Plenty of improved pasture to graze along with the winter grasses and cover crops planted for the livestock and deer. Nut grass is another readily available food source. Then you have the bunk feeders for the cattle that they can eat at free choice. In many places they can leave one side of the river where it's all pasture and hard woods and go live on the other side of the river during crop season. In the mesquite covered areas there is lots of cactus too, I'm not sure if they eat the mesquite beans or not. There are lots of stock ponds, tons of creeks and wet season tributaries, and several rivers for water sources. Then you have safe havens for them all over. I know of 2 areas I don't hunt because some jack ass has a 150 track in the middle of all of it and they will and have shot dogs. No amount of talking or reasoning registers with them. Then you lots of city folk that have moved in that just don't want you on their "Ranch"  and that part seems worse everyday. Then you have places like the Alcoa mines where thousands upon thousands of reclaimed mining land gives refuge to them. They have endless food, water, cover with absolutely zero threat from people because they will not under any circumstance allow hunting. Anyone caught trespassing will be prosecuted to the fullest. Hogs are like fire ants in there and don't care if they are seen or not. Our hogs are wild wild because everyone tries shooting, running over, trapping, or dogging  day in and day out. Despite the numbers, hunting spots are not easy to come by at all. I have the advantage of knowing most everyone because I grew up here plus I've been doing it a long time and I have a good reputation. My worry is drought. We haven't had one since these numbers have gotten to this extreme. I scared if we do, and its Texas so we are subject to, that there are going to be more diseased sick hogs than a person can imagine. That's gonna have a huge trickle effect I'm affraid.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: