March 19, 2024, 02:07:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maintenance hunt  (Read 849 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2020, 09:48:45 am »

Well the nephew has a spot that is a pretty good spot usually. We catch a fare amount of hogs there but they are kin to Mike's Nike wearing boar. The land owner told him to wait a week before coming because he had some guys from Chicago coming in and they wanted to stalk hogs. They supposedly shot 11 good boars and a good sow in the 3 or 4 days they were there. The nephew called asked if it was ok to come and of course he said oh yeah, come on. The hogs are everywhere. So he and I, my 9 year old Slayde, and my nephews 2 reject buddies load up. We hunted every inch of the place, and it's a bigger place, 1500-2000 acres. We just had the young dogs out at first but then cast Raylynn because "hogs were everywhere" and we hadn't had a bark. Sure enough, no hogs. No fresh tracks, no fresh sign of any kind, it was days old. Well Raylynn and her 2 pups Sam and Ava left and in a line. From where we went to where they bayed was 1.7 on the garmin. Their path was direct until 1.6 so I figured that was where they found the hogs and they moved to 1.7 by the time we got there. It was across the county road from the place we were on, but we had permission still. We caught one hog about 100 pounds and left. I have no doubt that all that stalking and shooting moved them for a while. I just hate going on maintenance hunts. It was good that the dogs had to hustle and it was good they never trashed and even better that they were rewarded in the end. I was impressed though. The way they traveled, speed and direct coarse, I'm sure they winded the hogs. The wind was just right and the place we started on is thick where there is brush but very open for the most part. Lol, I guess writing this helps me see i enjoyed the hunt a little more than I thought. Now if I find my nephew a couple buddies that have a man card, I'll be doing all the good.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 09:51:13 am »

Forgot the picture. Far left is my nephew, other 2 rejects are his buddies.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 10:55:15 am »

At least you caught one. Used to aggravate me to no end, deer hunters would say come on, we are loaded with hogs and then season is over we go there and no hogs. What they dont realize is as soon as they stop feeding corn, the hogs move on. Glad the young dogs are hunting well.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 11:40:34 am »

I guess I should be glad that my dogs are hog minded and gonna do whatever it takes to find one. We are slap covered up in hogs here. I worry a lot that I'm gonna lose something if not really careful in my dogs because it's just too easy to find them with the numbers we have. So making them hustle is good for sure. I need to be killing hogs though, putting up numbers. Thats my aggravation with a maintenance run. There was a time when i didn't think we could have "too many" but we absolutely do. Groups of over 100 are common around here and I have seen over 300 in a 5 acre set of woods. Those kinds of numbers create a whole new set of problems and when the hogs are as educated as they are you still have the regular twists that go along with them.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 12:15:32 pm »

Nice hunt T-dog. At least you got on one! Man I took off all week last week to hunt and my hunting partner ended up having stuff come up. We ran the river Tuesday and had delays due to breaking  he pull cord on the boat motor. Got a late start running a route I’ve never been before, after 6 hours we stopped the hunt and came back. All the sign was a few days old. My mentor that told me that route said next time we need to push the route further and we will get on the pigs. Then Friday morning I went and had too many duck hunters shooting around me that pushed the hogs out. Most of the sign was from the night before and had been rained on. Not much from after the rain.

I keep seeing guys from the state posting pigs and I’m itching lol. It’s 5 days in to 2020 and I haven’t gotten one yet. I am hoping to put up some higher numbers this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 12:18:42 pm »

Well good luck to ya bud. Your hustle will pay off.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 12:44:31 pm »

Oh yeah, I’m just going through withdrawals like a junkie right now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 07:33:45 pm »

Nice beards
WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 09:42:58 pm »

I have made that hunt on that property with those 3, that's where Gus took off with a broken antenna and lost him for better than an hour.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 10:02:06 pm »

You would be correct Joel.

TFree80
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 07:04:34 am »

T-dog what part of the country you hunting to see that many numbers?
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 08:08:37 am »

Southeast central Texas. For the most part,  we have nearly perfect conditions for them. We have lots of woods with several different types of oaks and pecan trees too. Plenty of improved pasture to graze along with the winter grasses and cover crops planted for the livestock and deer. Nut grass is another readily available food source. Then you have the bunk feeders for the cattle that they can eat at free choice. In many places they can leave one side of the river where it's all pasture and hard woods and go live on the other side of the river during crop season. In the mesquite covered areas there is lots of cactus too, I'm not sure if they eat the mesquite beans or not. There are lots of stock ponds, tons of creeks and wet season tributaries, and several rivers for water sources. Then you have safe havens for them all over. I know of 2 areas I don't hunt because some jack ass has a 150 track in the middle of all of it and they will and have shot dogs. No amount of talking or reasoning registers with them. Then you lots of city folk that have moved in that just don't want you on their "Ranch"  and that part seems worse everyday. Then you have places like the Alcoa mines where thousands upon thousands of reclaimed mining land gives refuge to them. They have endless food, water, cover with absolutely zero threat from people because they will not under any circumstance allow hunting. Anyone caught trespassing will be prosecuted to the fullest. Hogs are like fire ants in there and don't care if they are seen or not. Our hogs are wild wild because everyone tries shooting, running over, trapping, or dogging  day in and day out. Despite the numbers, hunting spots are not easy to come by at all. I have the advantage of knowing most everyone because I grew up here plus I've been doing it a long time and I have a good reputation. My worry is drought. We haven't had one since these numbers have gotten to this extreme. I scared if we do, and its Texas so we are subject to, that there are going to be more diseased sick hogs than a person can imagine. That's gonna have a huge trickle effect I'm affraid.

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 07:46:18 pm »

Sounds like some good dog work

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 03:40:08 pm »

Can't shoot fish in a barrel every hunt T dog lol.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: