April 24, 2024, 08:08:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog yard in the woods  (Read 1347 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2020, 08:43:06 am »

Growing up this is how we had our dogs but they were running walker fox/deer dogs. We had a farm and had plenty of land and no neighbors. Had a hot wire at top and bottom, one shed in each pen with a shelf so some of the dogs could get off the ground if they wanted to.  #3 washtubs for water, had 2 or 3 in each pen. Had 2 100lb self feeders in each pen.

We live in Panhandle Florida and I can tell you we fought fleas all my life. 

I'm grown now and all my dogs are in 5x10 wood floor kennels about 2ft off ground, auto waters, horse panel walls and metal roof overhead. The dogs cannot dig out, climb out or chew out. You can monitor there stools every day which has helped in health problems if one arises earlier rather than when the dog is already down. Downside is you have to do something with their waste every few years as I don't have a septic system.  You have to feed each dog every day but I have my food bowels screwed to the floor and a shut/funnel type thing that you pour their food down into the bowl so you don't have to open the door. This is helpful when you have to get someone feed if you are out of town.

Personally I have no plans on going back to large pens. Would it be better for exercise,  most definitely.  If you do build remote I would still suggest individual pens. If a fight broke out off site you can just about bet you gonna have a dead dog the next time you went to them or at least a vet bill(had it happen more than once growing up). Just some food for thought.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Can you post more pics of your water setup? I have very similar kennels but have decided that in a few years I’m going to build them on concrete with a gutter in the back that runs in to a septic system. The dogs have chewed all the wood framing in my kennels and it looks horrible now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: