April 23, 2024, 01:16:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on our catch dog program  (Read 3976 times)
Myles Man
Strike Dog

100 MPH in the right direction

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2023, 10:30:24 pm »

Slow starters, seems like it takes a good 18 to 24 months for maturity to kick into 2nd gear. They don’t seem to burn out fast.

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23
USA1stNate
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2023, 05:58:35 pm »

Late starters are not for everyone. These boys are proving success though. Maingo is a natural, Juniors 1st year is going as planned, slow and steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've got a fantastic bulldog program. Keep bulldoggin.
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2023, 06:28:20 pm »

24 months is a awful long time to wait on a bulldog that might work.Never seen a good one that was a late starter and dang sure never seen a good one burn out fast.I'm a bit confused but maybe my idea of what one should be is wrong.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2023, 07:55:58 pm »

Pretty good looking dogs I like juniors head and head and way his ears set just curious does anybody else start there bulldog puppies on coons when they young I have done this with mine for long time at 5 to 8 months I will trap me a coon and let em catch em sometime I will put out foot traps around a feeder and put camera on it so I know when I got coon I am go work on there handle make em follow behind and walk em to coon and try get em to catch when told if they will catch a coon at that age they will catch a hog at year old in my experiences if I cant get em catching coons before a year like that I probably want have em long enough to see if they will catch a hog but that's just me and way I do things I ain't trying say nobody else is doing wrong with way they are doing it or waiting till they 2 or 10 none of my concerns I was just wondering if anybody else ever tried coon or anything like that

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2023, 08:44:48 pm »

NLA I did that once. I believe it was my old Clementine female that I started like that. She was about 6 months and she didn’t hesitate. She bailed off into the coon like she knew what she was doing and never hit reverse. I didn’t show her anymore just because I don’t like to put major stress on their teeth from about 6-10 months old. I’m always afraid to mess their teeth up before they have matured or finished growing in and set good. That’s just my thoughts on it. I do like to give them bones with meat on them for them to pull off and small enough bone that they can chew them up. I really like turkey legs and short ribs for this. I think it also helps them learn to bare down. May all be in my head though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myles Man
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2023, 10:56:04 pm »

24 months is a awful long time to wait on a bulldog that might work.Never seen a good one that was a late starter and dang sure never seen a good one burn out fast.I'm a bit confused but maybe my idea of what one should be is wrong.
A Late starter is Maingo, he’s a natural born woods dog. At 5 yrs old he started in the woods with Junior.  Seems like he’s done it his whole life. Junior started at 18 mths, he is learning what’s going on concerning his 1st season as a catch dog..a slow starter is how I’ve learned they need a solid year or so in the woods to prove good quality traits.

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23
Myles Man
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2023, 06:52:44 am »

Currently ol gal Stormy seems to be having an issue this year, bustin bays for some reason. She’s a seasoned vet going on 6 yrs. I’ve got her back and she’s done well up to this point. We are Not planning on using her anymore for breeding purposes, may let a buddy  cross her with a different line  she’s the best momma dog anyone could ask for

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: