March 28, 2024, 03:18:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 500 lb hog  (Read 3022 times)
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 03:42:03 pm »

I’ve broke the 400 lb mark 4 times and 550 maxed out the scale so can’t give accurate weight and that was once in dang near 20 yrs, I promise you if you ever reach down to try and leg a true 500+ pounder you’ll gain a new out look on what you deem big, easiest way to explain it is to go try and throw a baby hippo or rhino, just the shear strength alone is enough to make you turn your hat backwards, granted one of the 400+ was 1/4 tame blood and had been cut for 6 years living in beef and dairy cow country with an unlimited supply of feed every where they rambled, between feed wagons, silage pits, and grain fields they didn’t have to travel much at all, I’ve never caught an intact boar  that broke 4+, have come close to it at 385 on the scale but haven’t hit it yet, one of the 4+ team was a huge sow, there’s very few places left around here where a hog can be left alone long enough to grow and die of old age, there’s still a few slipping and lurking here by the house but they are SMART, barely travel roads, hardly eat at deer feeders, they get a whiff of human scent they will up and leave, get on on and they head straight to where a groups of sows and shoats are everytime, I feel accomplished in what I’ve been able to breed up and their abilities at making something’s look easy, but there’s still a few that make me wna pull my hair out... 

And this is one of those piney wood ghosts that can disappear in thin air and leave dang nice dogs look like they’re standing on their tails...

Agreed they are there but very very rare, not like most claim. The 405 lb boar we legged took 2 hands to hold the ankle and we could not flip it
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 10:06:53 pm »

6 years in I’ve been there for one hog over 300. He was a Barr. Killed a 283 lb boar right before him that we actually weighed so Barr weight wasn’t official but we all agreed he was much bigger than the boar. Other than that I’ve killed one other 286 boar and few hogs between 230-250. There was many a 300+ killed right around my home town back in the day. These days I rarely hear of a big hog around fayette county. I think them big hogs are a kind of a perfect accident and I don’t believe your average wild hog has the genetics to get to 300 much less 400. Barr hog been in our high fence please down here in south Texas for Atleast 7 years. 7 years of year round access to protein feeders, he may be 300-320. Don’t see him being much bigger than that and he sure ain’t been starving

Slim I remember quite a few years back they caught one down by you that was like 480lb or something like that, they weighed it to make it official and posted on here. I wasn't on here when it happened but a few years ago I stumbled on the thread somehow and read it.

If I remember right they just said a farmer saw it in the field with his cows and called someone who just came and dumped bulldogs on it.
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2020, 10:26:48 am »

6 years in I’ve been there for one hog over 300. He was a Barr. Killed a 283 lb boar right before him that we actually weighed so Barr weight wasn’t official but we all agreed he was much bigger than the boar. Other than that I’ve killed one other 286 boar and few hogs between 230-250. There was many a 300+ killed right around my home town back in the day. These days I rarely hear of a big hog around fayette county. I think them big hogs are a kind of a perfect accident and I don’t believe your average wild hog has the genetics to get to 300 much less 400. Barr hog been in our high fence please down here in south Texas for Atleast 7 years. 7 years of year round access to protein feeders, he may be 300-320. Don’t see him being much bigger than that and he sure ain’t been starving

Slim I remember quite a few years back they caught one down by you that was like 480lb or something like that, they weighed it to make it official and posted on here. I wasn't on here when it happened but a few years ago I stumbled on the thread somehow and read it.

If I remember right they just said a farmer saw it in the field with his cows and called someone who just came and dumped bulldogs on it.
Red nose, the son of the landowner is one of my best friends and we picked up hog dogging together back in high school. They pre condition a bunch of cattle so it’s feed bunks with feed out year round.  One morning the 2 sons they were headed to school with mom and mom made a comment about wow look at that little heifer, she’s so short and fat. The boys looked and seen it was a hog and not a yearlin. That afternoon they called the Holub’s to come out. Family of dog hunters who did it a long time around here and were very respected. Holub’s showed up with a couple dogs and got him caught. 464lb. Intact boar hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 10:28:49 am »

By the time the Holub’s got there hog had crossed the road into neighbors. Big hard woods along what we call middle creek. They found and bayed him with 2 curs and a jack Russell. It was several hours later after Holub’s got off work that they put out on him, from the time he was seen

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 11:48:57 am »

By the time the Holub’s got there hog had crossed the road into neighbors. Big hard woods along what we call middle creek. They found and bayed him with 2 curs and a jack Russell. It was several hours later after Holub’s got off work that they put out on him, from the time he was seen

Glad you posted that and gave the correct story, that is one heck of a hog right there.
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2020, 10:37:02 pm »

About 17 years ago my cousin  killed one 473# he had a life size mount  done. I'll have him send me a pic ,And get it on here.
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 09:51:12 am »

somewhere around 15 years ago or more we caught a beast here in central coast california. he was long headed, spock ears and from nose to butt was six foot long or maybe more. he was well fed and had loose fat in his guts. we killed this hog at 11 at night and gutted him and also caped him out as a friend wanted a real long headed one for a mount for a bar. i caped this hog way back behind his front shoulders so he was about half skinned. at 2 the next afternoon my buddies weighed him and then finished skinin him  and  cut up and into the freezer. he was 292 minus his guts , head, and almost half his hide.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2020, 04:05:28 pm »

Just saw this on Facebook. Hog obviously has domestic blood in him though, judging by the ears

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2020, 05:43:23 pm »

That is a pure Duroc, and I'd bet a chunk he wasn't woods raised.
E barnes
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2020, 08:41:47 pm »

Bottomed out 440 scale caught thousands since never saw one like him a boar hog to. .

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2020, 12:00:23 pm »

domestic or not I hope my dogs never catch one that big lol cant lye it aint worth starting my whole pack over
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 04:46:53 am »

Old man, seems like all the “hogzillas” are just pen raised hogs people want to make a story out of. Shoot I don’t like big teeth at all lol. I only hunt for the dog work, I’m fine with sows and small pigs.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
CalebKirkland
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 10:57:12 am »

Biggest I’ve ever caught was a 380 Barr. It’s hard for a hog to break 350 pounds in these swamps. I know of several caught in this area over 400 but it’s rare and they were all Barr hogs. For the dogs sake I had rather catch one 250lbs and up with big teeth than 125lbs with 1” razors. I have caught several 300+ with very few vet bills but I have paid a pile of money and lost a few good dogs on them 125lb rank jokers.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2020, 02:40:38 pm »

E Barnes that was a monster woods hog! The Boars that I have caught that were in the 300-350 range "weighed them" were 6 ft long from nose to rump, and 32-34 inches tall measuring them across a 6 ft 6 inch wide trailer and against the wall of a stock trailer.
E barnes
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 06:25:15 pm »

Old man like I had said before hadn’t been hunting long and had heard about people seeing this monster hog coming off of state park on foggy or rainy evenings. He was with a sounder first time I saw him bulldog had a sow caught and he cut him a threw him off of her I ran in couldn’t do anything. I week or so later I found them across the river. Dogs bayed we went around and missed that hog dogs went East when I rounded the curve he was crossing the levee dumped what dogs I had on him they bayed him and my bulldog couldn’t do anything with him but we had brought the ole 30/30 with us and put him down. Best I can remember he was 7 foot long. We have caught some Barr’s 439 lb 398 lb and so on nothing in comparison to him and a lifetime of hunting but I dang sure hope I get to see another one like him with good bulldogs and a lot more experience. Lol thanks for looking at him he set the bar high but we are still after another one like him.

E barnes
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 06:28:11 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: