March 28, 2024, 02:01:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some tips on starting a dog  (Read 417 times)
cmcnutt22
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2020, 10:25:20 am »

I got about an 8 month old redbone cur pup I’m trying to get started. I just picked this dog up and she’s is pretty shy, I’ve showed her a 150 pound pig and some piglets and have also taken her on a mock hunt and she’s runs from the pigs. I don’t know if she’s just to shy and I’m trying to get her going to soon or she’s just gonna be a cull. I’d like to do everything I can to get her going because I know her blood line and what she could be. Any tips would be very helpful thanks.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 10:58:10 am »

What works for me is to let them see one of my older dogs catch it (I run rough dogs, so it would probably apply the same but having an older dog bay it if you run loose dogs). I have done this in the pen and on mock hunts, as well as on real hunts. Just depends on convenience and what I’m doing at the time. From my experience a young dog mighty act unsure on the first or second pig and then once they see another one it just clicks and they do what the older dog is doing. She may not be mental my mature enough yet either, I like to start with a small pig if it’s training. Something around 25-30lbs if the dog is around 8-10 months old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
cmcnutt22
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:50:30 am »

Thank for the feed back. I’ve put a dog in the pen with her and he went and bayed and would catch it every now and then. I’m think it’s to much commotion for her being new to the place. I’m gonna keep taking her to the woods and see if she’ll turn out.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 05:17:46 pm »

If you just got her I would give her some time around the house to get used to you and the other dogs

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Muddy-N-Bloody
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 07:07:10 pm »

Hey Bud -wish you well with your training process- there is a pile of good guys on here and some good dog men- you can search this forum over and find out yourself that this statement is true - best thing to do to find the answer to your question is also look at different threads and read and learn -like there was a thread that Austeus stared called Puppy training where he was asking about how to train a young dog and there was some very good info given there - on hogs dogs and general discussion this topic has been talked about a pile - I’m not a dog trainer I just like to hunt with dogs and give them a trip to the woods or I would give you some advice but like I said there are several more folks on here way more knowledgeable than me but the info your are asking is readily available if you search like Puppy training or young pups starting - Good luck and happy hunting

Thank God for Mama and Daddy and for the whoopings I got that I needed
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 08:10:31 pm »

Become her friend first and gain her trust and respect and loyalty and then start your training if your willing to have the patience, ask yourself if a big Dibo looking fool rolled up in the parking lot and made you get in the car and then takes you to a strange place to fight and battle with even more strange critters that can, will, and want to hurt you, without even knowing if ole Dibo is gna do the stuff and go as far as your being asked to do himself, I’d be willing to bet you’d be more up to the challenge if you and Dibo were friends and you knew and trusted him more, get over the trust and skittish issue first, that’s your biggest adversary more so than any hog in the world...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: