March 29, 2024, 08:24:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cross  (Read 1953 times)
BriarBay
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2020, 08:02:15 pm »

I’ve heard mixed reviews abt bird crosses but have hunted behind a few that have impressed me. Nothing too special about the GSP. he has been used to blood trail deer and has been on a few hog hunts but is only 1.5 y/o   Lots of drive though. The female has been a good dog for me. 1/2 cat 1/2 treeing walker.  Hoping the bird dog will add a little casting ability and drive.  We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northstar
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 11:29:04 pm »

As long as they make the guy scooping number 2 and feeding them happy.

Good luck with the cross! Hope they are good enough for you to make it again.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 07:48:15 am »

I'm curious about the female. You said what she is. If you don't mind describe her style from baying to hunting to track speed to handle etc. The family of dogs I have are cat/treeing walker. I don't need nor could I hunt more drive or hustle. By no means am I tooting my own horn about great dogs. Most folks probably wouldn't feed these suckers. To me the bird dog has different drive and definitely a different way of doing things. Not saying it's good or bad just different. If that is what you want then you will likely be happy. There are lots of variables when doing these sort of crosses. Is the gyp an F1 cross or is she the product of some heavy line breeding. Depending on her style and her being a first time cross or line bred as to whether you get pups that are everywhere from just like her or her parents to just like him to any combination of the 2. For me, the gyp is the main ingredient. If she's just ok, odds are you will get less than average to just ok pups. The better the female the better your odds of high caliber pups providing she's the norm of her litter or if shes the exception. Again though, knowing what's behind her and knowing why she's the caliber dog she is has bearing too. If she's just ok because she hasn't been allowed opportunity or if it's because that's as good as she can be have to be considered as well. There are just lots of factors. I hope it works for you. There are good crosses similar to this out there.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

BriarBay
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 01:00:06 pm »

Yea she’d be considered an F1.  Parents were a registered working catahoula and a high dollar coon hound, accidental breeding. She’s almost 6 now and is part of my original dogs. In comparison to what everyone else on here has shes probly not worth #2. But she’s the best I have. She’s loose bay, semi open on track, enough bottom for me....but lazy in no sign.  She’s bayed plenty of hogs for me and made me a happy fella a lot of times...but she is a magnet to my feet most days unless the track is smoking. I feel like a portion of That May be my fault because I trained her myself by showing hogs in pens and walking her into fresh sign cause I didn’t have a started dog to work her with. Im fortunate to have large blocks to hunt where if the dogs don’t have some drive, 90% of your time will be spend being a dog yourself and finding the hogs for the dogs. I’m just tired of that. I’ve tried to get my hands on some seed stock that suited my environments, with no success but dang sure not from lack of effort.  That’s why I decided to make this cross in attempt to get a dog that was a little more quiet on track, would cover plenty of ground, and add a little more grit.  The GSPs I’ve hunted with have done everything to pointed hogs with no bark to acting like straight catch dogs.  No idea what traits will dominate in thes cross. I’ve been hog hunting 20+ years, but only had my own pack for 6. Still learning about all of the factors that go into the right breed, this site has been a great tool.
Hoped to make it to uncle earls later this month to talk dogs and maybe pick up a few younguns to try. With kung fu flu having everyone scared, not sure if that’ll happen now.
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 01:30:33 pm »

I hope you luck with em man....  I know myself how it was when I had a pack of curs that I had to find the hogs for them ,, then they would put me on a few bays or busted bays...LOL....Way too old now to do what I had to do back then,,, wore the soles off my boots for them dogs... 

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 04:42:40 pm »

Where or what part of the world are you hunting briar?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

BriarBay
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 05:20:13 pm »

SC
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 01:37:54 pm »

What area of SC briarbay? That’s where I’m at too. I’m in a similar situation with the way I walk hunt and where I hunt. My dogs are lazy until I put them in hot sign but I know that it’s because I have to walk them for a while to find the sign. I’m not able to cast them or drive them around so they’ve just learned to stay close until I find where the sign is

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
BriarBay
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 09:33:52 am »

She had 6 males and 3 female. All doing good now, I sure do like the way they are colored up.

joshg223
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 07:14:17 pm »

I made the same cross 11-12 yrs ago. She was a line bred cur dog and a really good one to a championed out field trial dog with lots of go. She had 10 pups. I kept every pup for 7 months. I culled 2 and  the rest made extremely good dogs. 5 were straight catch so I sent them to someone that preferred that style and I kept 3 that were loose. Best cross I’ve seen. Should have  made it again. All the dogs had lots of hunt. I’ve been thinking real hard on making a cross with walker/gsp.

BriarBay
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 08:00:50 am »

Yea I’m pretty dang excited about seeing how they turn out.  Interesting  how different dogs work better in different environments, but I’m thinking these dogs will suit me well. I’d say we have a decent concentration of hogs but when they are spread out over 1,000’s of acres in cutovers, briar beds, etc, dogs that won’t get out and hunt make for a LOT of unproductive walking. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: