April 17, 2024, 07:08:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Advice ASAP  (Read 1722 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 05:52:11 am »

Lol 10-4 Justin. At this point it’s just a waiting game I suppose. I’m not going to run my older female on the off chance something happens to her I’m really screwed. I’m just going to run that female littermate of Hoppers with other people’s older dogs and hope she gets going good enough to then run lead for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
CutNShootHD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 05:13:03 pm »

If they’re out of the socket yes the longer they stay out the less likely it’ll go back in. You may be looking at FHO surgery down the line if not popped back in and put in a tight sling in less than a few days. I don’t really know how you’d accomplish that with both legs affected. FHO is where they cut the ball off the femur, then that area makes a false joint with scar tissue. We ran over one of our pups last week but fortunately she’s fine. I don’t know how she’s fine because it felt like we backed over a log. Dislocated/luxated hips from an injury aren’t always associated with hip dysplasia, hopefully your pup doesn’t have cracks in the pelvis as well. Best of luck to you and your pup, hope everything turns out well.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 10:37:41 pm »

If they’re out of the socket yes the longer they stay out the less likely it’ll go back in. You may be looking at FHO surgery down the line if not popped back in and put in a tight sling in less than a few days. I don’t really know how you’d accomplish that with both legs affected. FHO is where they cut the ball off the femur, then that area makes a false joint with scar tissue. We ran over one of our pups last week but fortunately she’s fine. I don’t know how she’s fine because it felt like we backed over a log. Dislocated/luxated hips from an injury aren’t always associated with hip dysplasia, hopefully your pup doesn’t have cracks in the pelvis as well. Best of luck to you and your pup, hope everything turns out well.

Thanks for the advice, luckily it looks like there are no fractures or breaks, but my vet told me about the FHO and said there’s really no good way to do it with both hips. Not to mention how much it would cost and the dog will probably never hunt again. He steered me towards waiting at this point. And said we can always do FHO later in time if we need to. Honestly I was looking at the dog better while I had him out taking a piss and the hips both seem higher than they were. I originally thought they didn’t really look different... and he’s got a lot more energy now and trying to jump around. I’m on the fence about any prior problems. I’m thinking he may just have a high pain tolerance and didn’t have previous problems. I’ll have his sister looked at and see how he heals before I make any decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: