April 19, 2024, 08:48:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you riding/hunting off of?  (Read 4316 times)
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2020, 09:27:55 pm »

They tell me that I have more straight Gantte dogs here than anyone left in the country whether that is good or bad is subjective I suppose but Charles bred those dogs with the intent of raising bear dogs, and did not ever make an outcross in 50 some odd "I think 57 yrs".   He actually started with dogs from 5 crosses of dogs several of which were somewhat closely related. I have had pretty good luck with them pure and they seem to make an excellent cross, probably due to having line bred for so many generations. I sort of got in on the tail end of his dogs and it appeared to me their consistency was falling off from the time Charles himself became unable to hunt and select them for breeding. I figured I could acquire some and try them hard and make "what I would call proper selections" and maybe salvage a long time good solid strain of dogs.  I had lots of experience with the Weem's dogs and felt like that since the two strains had lots of common lineage way way back they may compliment one another and so far it seems to be working pretty good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: