April 23, 2024, 04:04:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you riding/hunting off of?  (Read 4397 times)
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 10:27:57 pm »

Funny story pertaining to that withers remark, my mule being sort of thorough bred type has exceptional withers and back for a mule, here around home it is pretty much flat so I took to just riding a crupper on her "had never ridden a crupper before" well several years ago one night I loaded her up and went over 3 or 4 miles to a several section chunk of Dirty creek, it is a large creek that drains no telling how many miles of country, when it floods it will be 3/4 mile wide at some points,  and with there not being much rock right here in this country it is muddy bottomed and the banks are 15 feet high and undercut in most places, Well I had gotten struck, had a pretty good race and they were bayed way on up and across the creek and there wasn't a good crossing in there close to where I needed to cross so I elected to just ride off the bank, it was summertime, the creek was low and there was a little ripple there so I didn't figure it was going to be boggy, my mule will go wherever pointed and even though the bank was high and undercut, I asked her to go off, she just sort of squatted and of course reaching down and out with her front legs, "we were nearly vertical" my head was just about laying on her tailbone and my feet were up to the top of her neck, well that damn crupper slipped off her tail and I hadn't tightened my cinch after riding awhile, the saddle slid way up over her withers on top and the cinch was below her elbows on her front legs, then of course the top lip of the bank caved off and the combination of all that scared her and she jumped, we were still way high on the bank making it a long way to the bottom when she hit the bottom her and my noses hit the ground like a yard dart, I figured she was gonna flip over on me so was scratching and clawing in an attempt to get out of the way, it would have made a hilarious video and I learned I didn't want a damn crupper anymore, threw it away and built the britching she still wears pictured above.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: