April 18, 2024, 04:56:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you riding/hunting off of?  (Read 4248 times)
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2020, 09:34:21 pm »

Yes I hunt alone on the mule here and down in the mountains (big country) in the SE corner of the state, don't think much about it other than snake bite or a broken leg if afoot. I did buy some snake boots a year ago, felt a little embarrassed about it since I'd never had any, but there are Timber Rattlers and Copperheads down there and sometimes I can't see the ground and or am in big chunk rock or ledges, I figured I might get to sick to go before I could get out of there if I got bit way off in there. Snakes are not a worry when I ride.  I suppose a fellow ought to get one of those Garmin in reach deals, it would take days to find me in some places I wind up when hunting in the mountains and there is almost zero cell phone reception, I just have one of those 10 dollar ones I carry in the truck anyway.
I work an odd schedule and hunt "almost" explicitly by myself when in the mountains, in the winter time my brother-in -law Adam and I hunt hogs a lot together here around home.
The worst bind I have been in down there on the mule "same mule in the pictures" was a long time ago, I was hunting by myself at night and had ran off Kiamichi Mountain, across Lynn Mountain , crossed Cucumber Creek and was on Blue Bouncer Mountain, well when I finished up I was just gonna ride off to Cucumber and keep going north to the truck but it was "real" steep and  before I could get off the mountain I got in a bunch of big chunk rock rip rap size and bigger, (steep enough I couldn't go back up) I was afraid I was gonna break my mules leg so I got off and would get by a tree to keep her from falling into or over me and jerk her to me, when I finally got off there without crippling my mule I determined to forever more study the elevation lines on the map before coming off a mountain in the dark. I hadn't had a Garmin long when this happened and wasn't real familiar with a topographical map but that caused me to learn haha.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: