March 29, 2024, 11:01:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jagged broken tooth  (Read 1473 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2020, 08:04:33 am »

Cheston I think the biggest part of people on this board like raising their own dogs. Either they had trouble finding exactly what they wanted and wanted to improve on the closest thing they had found or they just wanted to be able to have the pride of being able to say they were responsible for what they were hunting from A to Z. Don't feel foolish about answering your own questions. The fact that you didn't allow foolish pride to get in your way will be one of your greatest assets. What I meant by taking a chance on a good dog was this. I have a family of catch dogs that I've raised for over 20 years. I don't raise what I would consider a lot of dogs, just enough to keep myself in stock and my breeding going. I dont sale pups. I place them with friends and other hunters that I can work with a d either get pups back from when they breed or breed to the dog I have given to them if necessary. It's kind of you scratch my back I scratch yours type thing. I got in a funk with my bulldogs because too many folks were doing what I considered stupid stuff with them or weren't taking care of them. I had fella call me once and while talking was telling me that he wasn't happy with the dog he got from me as a pup. I surprised me because every litter mate, including mine, were beasts. So I set up a hunt and went. When he dropped the dog out of the box it was instant pissed off for me. The poor dog was so skinny, so eat up with fleas, probably a third of his hair was gone, eyes matted nearly shut, cuts that hadn't been tended to that a vest would've prevented, etc. etc.! I asked him what he wanted for the dog that I'd BUY him back right then and there. I think I gave him enough money for a couple sacks of feed, loaded the dog and left. I didn't even hunt with the guy and haven't had dealings with him since. I of course told him after the dog was mine how chicken sh__ I thought he was for expecting anything from anything in that shape. The fact that the dog would even try for him still made me proud of the dog. This type stuff happened more than once and put me in a funk about other people getting my bulldogs. Because of that, I bred myself into a whole by not raising enough to continue my breeding program the way I had been doing it. I didn't have nor have access to a good stud so I bred to an outside dog that my nephew had. He was just like my dogs in every way except his look. He was super smart at rest or in the heat of the moment. Went into the bay under control and thinking about what he was going to do. Had a want to please you mentality. He had a good bite. He was athletic and had good air. He had size and handled extremely well. His build was slightly different from my dogs and is head shape too. That was the only real difference. I've said many times, if you put something bad there, no matter how far away you breed from it, it's still there. It proved to be true here. The F1 cross was ok. I raised one male that I kept that was on his way to being a the best I had ever been to the woods with. I was gonna have to really pick him apart to find a short coming. He died in a kennel accident that he didn't start with a POS  that was an outside bred dog. Just a freak deal. The crosses after that though have been way off the mark. It was like looking at one of my dogs with an alien inside it. Some of them didn't resemble my dogs or him physically and didn't act like either side either. The word hate comes to mind when I think of them. So I wasted a lot of time and money breeding to something that I could only take at face value. If it had worked I would've been lucky. He was nice enough to gamble on but he went through a lot of testing.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: