March 28, 2024, 03:41:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fleas/Ticks  (Read 1051 times)
YellaDogs14
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2020, 11:38:06 pm »

What does everyone like to use for to prevent fleas and ticks off their dogs?
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 02:43:27 pm »

I use NexGuard chewables. Pricey but convenient and effective. I only treat if needed, not monthly as recommended. I keep Comfortis pills on hand and treat for fleas if I see them.
-
I spray kennels & dog houses with tempo every couple weeks. I replace their hay bedding every couple weeks during the winter. I don’t use any bedding and just spray the dog houses in the warmer months. I treat my dog boxxthe same as my kennels. I also spray Ultra Shield or Pyrehna fly spray before and after a hunt....(when I remember)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 07:35:29 pm »

Some on here do Conserve SC. I find it watered down too much and find comfortis is easier and more cost effective. But it (spinosad) does not do ticks.

I ordered simparica to see about fleas and ticks but have not tried it yet. We will see how well it works.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 11:09:31 pm »

I use conserve SC after some fellas on here recommended it. I had a bad flea outbreak and tried everything, finally got the conserve and they were gone in 24 hours. I’ve used it maybe twice in a year. No need for regular treatments of dogs

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 06:58:45 am »

If you do the math on how much spinosad is in conserve. The price for the larger pills of comfortis comes out cheaper.

For the conserve you also need to give 1cc Per pound to get the recommended efffective dose. They both work. Its the same stuff. its easier for me to give a pill then to give a shotglass of liquid to a dog. In Conserve you also have no idea what the other 80% of "other ingredients" are

I have both here and used both in the last week. Lots of critters showing up and brought fleas with them. Once you treat you shouldnt have to treat again
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 08:05:10 am »

The dosage I’ve done for Conserve is 1cc/10lbs.  With the comfortis pills do you have to give them every month or do they last a long time like the conserve?

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
YellaDogs14
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 12:16:16 pm »

Thank y’all for the advise. I’ll treat my dogs!

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 04:00:08 pm »

I’m having good luck with these Capshield pills every 3 weeks and spray dogs with Spectracide Triazicide once a week. Cheap and working well down here along the gulf coast

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
gary roberson
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 11:14:53 am »

I am testing a new product at this time.  If it works as well as it seems to be, I will get you the information.  It's a spray that you put on your dogs and it will last a couple of weeks. 
Adios,
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: