April 25, 2024, 05:29:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Sow  (Read 709 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2020, 07:26:29 am »

I’ve seen a select handful of open dogs bay hogs on that land, but it’s rare and leads to a long race that I couldn’t ever shut down with young dogs. I watched an old finished dog that was open run a pig for 12 hours before he was finally called off. Those pigs are dog smart, my mentor hunted there 5-6 days a week for 10-12 hour hunts. He trained dogs for people and did guided hunts for a living so he hunted like a job. As soon as they hear a dog bark they hit the river and will zig zag back and forth trying to lose the dogs. Running silent dogs that catch have much better results there. I would rather shut the pig down in 500 yards than run it for 3 miles through the swamp and across water.

I think most of it is due to how hard and often those pigs have been hunted for 10 years, but I’ve seen quite a few people leave there empty handed, and they had good dogs. It was the biggest property I had to hunt but by no means was it my favorite. I can go some places and catch 2-3 pigs in an hour. That’s pretty good for around me. That place on the other hand, you would have to hunt for 6-8 hours to kill a single pig sometimes. Plenty of pigs there, they’re just smart. The property was so big too it was hard to find where they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: