March 28, 2024, 05:43:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better start packing!  (Read 1770 times)
TFree80
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2020, 09:39:12 am »

Made a hunt over in kountze texas this past week and I've been saying for the longest, "I need to start packing". Today was the day! Dogs finally jumped a decent size boar with a little teeth on him. If I had to guess weight I would say about 230ish. He took them straight to village creek where he decided to make his last stand.
My buddy has a yellow cur dog  that is 13 years old and is straight suicidal! He got more scars on him than you can count. Long story short we knew it wasnt good if he was baying lol soon as we walked up he was trying that hog getting tossed like a rag doll. Lucky my buddy had his pistol and we where able to call them off for a split
second to get a shot on him. Its was good night after that .45 made contact to the dome.
TFree80
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 09:39:40 am »

Untitled on Vimeo
https://vimeo.com/439988112
TFree80
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 09:40:46 am »

https://vimeo.com/439988233
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 11:40:55 am »

13 and suicidal aren't terms that typically get used together lol. Nice hog

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

TFree80
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 11:44:03 am »

Right about that t-dog lol that dude walking around with nothing but nubs right now
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 09:06:45 am »

No bulldog?
TFree80
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 03:04:51 pm »

Yea I had one. I was afraid to turn him lose and knock the hog in the middle of village creek or end up on somebody else lease chasing dogs in the heat.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 03:32:56 pm »

I’m a believer in always having my pistol. I’ve only used it one time on a hog and that was because we only took 3 pups, no bulldog. They bayed a nice sow and tried to catch, got flipped and went back to baying. We tried to coax them in to catching but they wouldn’t. I shot, was filming with one hand and shot with one so it was a bad shot. I meant to catch it behind the ear and instead was about 3” low and hit the neck. She broke and ran 20 yards and they stopped her again then caught her and we got her with the knife.

But outside of that, I’ve had to put several dogs down when they were suffering and weren’t going to make it, and I’ve killed plenty of snakes and a few gators. Never a bad idea to have it just incase. Invest in a quality holster and you’ll forget you’re wearing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
TFree80
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 06:21:06 pm »

Austesus what type of pistol you carry?
HuntingHeritage
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 11:57:35 am »

I carry a Ruger Sp101 it’s a 5 shot .357mag with a 2&1/4” barrel but they also make it with a three inch.
Handles hot rounds well is not unpleasant to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 01:38:07 pm »

as im in california takin a pistola is required to be legal. well, we cant stick em or tie em legally. ive been totin a 44 mag for about 30 years now and a 357 prior to that.  and i am not one who wants the hogs to have a fair chance,lol. im out there to get em stopped and controlled. as i said we cant legally tie or stick em, but you can have tape  or shackles on you  and its ok as well as we can bleed em. so alot of dead hogs get shot after the fact,lol. and i will shoot one of i aint got enough dog  to get em stopped. oh and we must use centerfire arms to sport hunt hogs as they are classified as big game here. so no 22 or 22 mag.well not legally anyway.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 03:01:15 pm »

It's a different country out there. I'm glad I'm a Texan. I surprised you haven't moved to Texas or someplace similar Gary.

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 04:23:01 pm »

im surprised at that too. i am from oregon originally and still may move back there if my wife ever retires,lol. i had a good job as a public employee for over 35 years. we have weather you cant beat and i managed to raise and fight roosters for over 25 years despite the laws, as well as dabble in the game dog world years back. and hunted hogs here for 40 years and never went to jail.lol main thing has kept us here is work to be honest. and my wife is still working and if she retires under 4 years from now she wont be old enough for medicare and that would mean we have to buy insurance for us both. we were probably gonna move to another state untill they made rooster fighting illegal in arizona  and oklahoma. the gun laws for one make us want to move also.

It's a different country out there. I'm glad I'm a Texan. I surprised you haven't moved to Texas or someplace similar Gary.

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 04:26:06 pm »

guess i should have worded that....... i never went to jail for the dogs, hogs, or roosters,lol.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 04:41:32 pm »

Lol, I grew up with game chickens. I can't remember a time in my life that my dad didn't have them. We always had dogs and horses too. If you were to find you a good sugar momma, your wife could go ahead and retire and y'all could move too, just a thought lol. To be from 2 different countries, we've led very similar life styles.

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 05:10:19 pm »

allready got me a sugar momma. been married to her for 43 years in 3 weeks. she makes alot more than i ever did and she put up with me and all my ways,lol. yep its a small world at times. i have family in texas  and my mom was a arkie and my dad an okie. so i got raised right,lol.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 09:12:58 pm »

Lol good deal Gary. Sounds like a good woman and a lucky man.

Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 09:45:14 pm »

Tdog I've thought about it alot but no open land everything in Texas is private. If I could secure a job and spots to hunt I'd be moving. And Garry you are exactly right. 8f I got to move that hog or drive any distance with em they get a bullet lol...its a funny deal
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 09:53:40 pm »

You could come and hold up a sign saying "will hunt for food" or "have dog will travel"

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 09:56:59 pm »

Just get you a job. 50% of the hog hunters out here don't have permission to hunt anywhere they hunt. Probably is you're probably gonna be poaching another poachers spot lol. There's a hog dog or ten tied to every other tree out here it seems like.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: