March 28, 2024, 01:47:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Bulldogs  (Read 8592 times)
TNT_Bulldogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 06:59:38 am »

Yes, they are a few of us that are still using them. Some of us have been using them for several years and are several generations in breeding ABs for catchdogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you currently use them? If so what line/lines did you start with and do you have pictures of them doing bulldog work?
Yes, I’m still using them. Lines: BamaBoy thru True Grit and JEL, Stover, Hines, old Painter/Scott, and Florida Panhandle dogs. Yes I have pictures. As a side note, Tico has been a friend of mine for 17-18 years now

Hello scott. We have spoken in the past back in July 2019. You told me about about 3 potential studs you were going to breed to that young gyp. I got your information through Tico. Most of my bulldogs have Peach in their ped. Dont know if you remember speaking to me. My name is Tony.
TNT_Bulldogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 07:09:23 am »

you will find some good guys on this board that did or are still using abs in the woods. i used em for over 20 years but havent  hunted in a few years now and am down to one old bulldog thats goin on 10. and hes a straight bred standard dog and i also owned and used his grt grt grandmother over 20 year ago also. ive used and hunted behind a bunch of different abs over the years both standard and hybred in lineage. owned a bunch of the things over the years. you will find some good ab guys  on here.  i also owned and printed the american bulldog review magazine the last years it ran and i judged a aba ab  show last fall.

Thank you for your reply Gary. What line where those bulldogs originated from that you use to hunt with? I will try to find that Magazine. I love to read about the breed.   
TNT_Bulldogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 07:24:27 am »

TNT you didn’t mention what line yours were ?? Thanks in advance

Im in my second generation of Jam up Bulldogs (most goes back to Hines with). You can look me up in Instagram TNT_Bulldogs for pictures and more info.
Birdslayer86
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 10:57:57 am »

I’ll have to see if I can’t find someone with social media. I don’t do the whole social media stuff. I get on a few forums and that’s the extent of my socialness. I appreciate the responses gentlemen. Are you fellers out towards the west ??
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 11:56:26 am »

you will find some good guys on this board that did or are still using abs in the woods. i used em for over 20 years but havent  hunted in a few years now and am down to one old bulldog thats goin on 10. and hes a straight bred standard dog and i also owned and used his grt grt grandmother over 20 year ago also. ive used and hunted behind a bunch of different abs over the years both standard and hybred in lineage. owned a bunch of the things over the years. you will find some good ab guys  on here.  i also owned and printed the american bulldog review magazine the last years it ran and i judged a aba ab  show last fall.

Thank you for your reply Gary. What line where those bulldogs originated from that you use to hunt with? I will try to find that Magazine. I love to read about the breed.   
california here. and i actually sell the old back issues of the magazine going back to its start in 1989. i had all kinds of stuff. bama boy grand daughter, coboy son and daughter as well as cowboy grandson, josh  daughter, straight kershner female, matt boyd stuff, i used koa in my little program  etc etc
Birdslayer86
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2020, 05:43:53 pm »

Sorry for the dumb question but what magazine do you speak of? I love reading the old magazine. So much knowledge is lost with every generation that leaves us. I have hoards of old magazines wish I had the room to go threw them all and organize the way I would like..... hell before you know it it will be hard to find an all white dog the way I see some headed now. I just wish you could go to a show ring and those dogs be the same one we use to get our job done but they are really 2 separate worlds no matter how good a sales men the breeder is.
Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2020, 05:50:33 pm »

Sorry for the dumb question but what magazine do you speak of? I love reading the old magazine. So much knowledge is lost with every generation that leaves us. I have hoards of old magazines wish I had the room to go threw them all and organize the way I would like..... hell before you know it it will be hard to find an all white dog the way I see some headed now. I just wish you could go to a show ring and those dogs be the same one we use to get our job done but they are really 2 separate worlds no matter how good a sales men the breeder is.
Gary owned the American Bulldog Review

Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2020, 05:51:58 pm »

Yes, they are a few of us that are still using them. Some of us have been using them for several years and are several generations in breeding ABs for catchdogs

Do you currently use them? If so what line/lines did you start with and do you have pictures of them doing bulldog work?
Yes, I’m still using them. Lines: BamaBoy thru True Grit and JEL, Stover, Hines, old Painter/Scott, and Florida Panhandle dogs. Yes I have pictures. As a side note, Tico has been a friend of mine for 17-18 years now

Hello scott. We have spoken in the past back in July 2019. You told me about about 3 potential studs you were going to breed to that young gyp. I got your information through Tico. Most of my bulldogs have Peach in their ped. Dont know if you remember speaking to me. My name is Tony.
Tony, just waiting on the gyp to come in. You are first on the list for that breeding

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 08:11:14 pm »

its been a few years but dave pope flew down here to california from alaska, hunted 3 nights while here and on the next day he showed his female polar with staples  in her from a hog on saturday night and she won best female in show or best in show. i cant recall now. my max dog won best in show then that evening won a catch dog comp too. so it can be done,lol
Birdslayer86
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 09:00:30 pm »

I never said it couldn’t be done and knowledge I just wasn’t aware of. I’m sure it was more common in days past more so then today’s times. But that’s really with a lot of animals and not just these. So are the average cost of a pup roughly what you would expect to pay calling a bigger breeder ?? Just being curious I don’t need an exact number blasted. Good to know I could have researched a little harder and found more options for stock.
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2020, 10:43:25 pm »

i was just giving a couple examples. i would say typically you are gonna pay top dollar from well known or popular breeders for ab pups. when i got into abs it wasnt for catch dogs it was because the breed interested me. myself , to pay over 500 bucks for a pup to be a catch dog isnt what i would do. if your main focus would be as catch dogs then i would look up someone like scott on here or britt or others who frequent here. its like any breed, you find good and bad in cheap ones and in pricey ones.  i remember when i first looked into abs that a pup for 350 bucks wasnt high dollar for one and for that same price  you could buy a finished strike dog here in california.
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2020, 10:55:42 pm »

I’ve had Joshua dogs in the past. My first bulldog was a Joshua dog( 15 years ago). He was a great catch dog. Second and third did turn out for me. Good luck with that boy. Hope he works out for you. Thank you for posting.
dave pope gave me his sam dog years ago that came from lem. he was cowoy and possum and he was a jam up woods dog untill i had to put him down at nine plus years due to cancer. old sam could never pass hip certification but he also never went lame on years of hard hunting either.    i had a josh daughter from dave also whos moma was off of cowboys  brother. she was ok but thats all. i had a cowboy grandson bred by darren jones who produced cowboy  and bosco was a good one but died early from eatin bungee cords.  i also had a cowboy daughter / bama boy grand daughter bred by darren. so i liked the sand valley blood but alsolike hte only joshua bred dog i had too.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2020, 07:27:50 am »

I'll say this for Britt, my nephew recently got a pup from him. That little dude is right. He has a great confidence in everything he does. He has brains to spare, a major people dog, and good prey drive to go along with a nice athletic build. It's a long road from here to being a catch dog but he definitely has the ingredients and Britt has a lot of his dogs scattered about catching hogs for people.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Birdslayer86
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2020, 07:46:52 am »

These are mine sir and dam. I had a deposit on a different breeding but she didn’t take I believe. I’m pretty pleased with him so far. I just looked at his puppy papers he’s 10 months. I honestly don’t know I’ll be able to let him catch a hog now I would have to cull the misses if something happened to that damn dog. Haha but I honestly think he would take right to it and I think his wind could be built to my satisfaction. I can tell you know don’t rough house the misses if he’s out. Haha I really got him because I’ve always had an interest since I was a kid but they were clearly out of reach and last year I was getting pups for my chicken yard and she started to try and take to some and I had to educate her a little that it wasn’t a good idea to start liking them yet. So I talked her into a bulldog and I would let her have it in the house. Now I would like to add a few more and keep a line going as I know multiple people that would dang sure use one but are like me most of my life. Couldn’t justify the $$$ well I’m not getting any younger and the breeders aren’t either so I bit the bullet. Your going to have to pay to play. My biggest thing would be though I want the same dogs anchoring hogs or rank cows to be the dogs that can get the wins to national champion. But you have to have a sight and a plan or really what’s the purpose!?!?
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2020, 08:59:28 am »

Hey Gary how have you been? I remember the Bosco dog from that hog catch / conformation show in AZ years ago, He was a beauty. Truly miss the old style shows. I haven't been to one since they stopped the working side. Hope all is well my friend
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 12:29:53 pm »

I have two questions. One is why did y'all choose the AB's instead of another breed or crosses? Two what do y'all look for or expect from a "catch dog"?

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 02:03:06 pm »

Hey Gary how have you been? I remember the Bosco dog from that hog catch / conformation show in AZ years ago, He was a beauty. Truly miss the old style shows. I haven't been to one since they stopped the working side. Hope all is well my friend

im good, hope the same for you. i kinda fell out of the bas not too long after that myself as i lost my max dog and some others and the show scene kinda fell apart on this side of the country. but i have one old guy left whos caught a few in the woods and i went and judged a aba show last fall in nor cal too. you still have dogs?
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2020, 02:13:45 pm »

I have two questions. One is why did y'all choose the AB's instead of another breed or crosses? Two what do y'all look for or expect from a "catch dog"?

i just kinda fell into usin em as catchdogs i guess. i was allready hog hunting with dogs  when i got my first american bulldog. my wife was wanting a rottweiler and i had had game bred dogs for some years . so we split the difference  and got a american bulldog,lol. one thing led to another and i got into the abs and soon took a male who wouldnt pass hip certification huntin. well that was so much fun  i started keepin some just to hunt with as well as the show stuff , protection etc.

i want em to hit the ear and hang on,lol. controllable dog aggression i can take but prefer zero but they are bull dogs. athletic enough to keep up on a long hunt and get the job done. i prefer they grab an ear and lay up on the hog.  and i wanted em cow broke too.
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2020, 02:15:35 pm »

I have two questions. One is why did y'all choose the AB's instead of another breed or crosses? Two what do y'all look for or expect from a "catch dog"? oops guess i should have added that i always used em as a lead in dog and then turn em loose to the bark.

Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2020, 03:11:16 pm »

I hunted with Dogos for a couple of years. The good ones were good but the cull rate was too high. I had a quality APBT that was really nice, but I prefer a bigger dog. I fell into the ABs, they suited me. As far as what I expect from a catchdog... biddable, with good wind and athleticism. Temperament-can be handled and take corrections from anyone in the hunting party. Catch and stay hooked until I remove him. To me, that’s just the basic requirements.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: