March 29, 2024, 02:07:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Bulldogs  (Read 8601 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2020, 03:50:39 pm »

I like the pits and the Americans both. I too like bigger dogs but not the oompah loompah types. Both breeds have a lot to offer but if I had to run pure, or full blood it would be the American. I love the crosses the most. When you get the best of both worlds it's really hard to beat. The pit has exceptional athleticism and overall hardness. The American has size, willingness to please, and they don't get what I call the adrenaline block (my term) that so many pits get when the on switch is on. You can turn their on switch on and they still have the ability to think on their feet. I like the Scott's type dogs. 65 to 85 or 90 pounds of NFL linebacker types (fast, physical, and smart). Good wind and a quiet disposition are so important too. I have learned that the quicker a dog shuts up and settles down after a catch the more hogs you will catch in a day with it. They regain their composure and wind quicker. JMO

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2020, 05:39:50 pm »

I like the pits and the Americans both. I too like bigger dogs but not the oompah loompah types. Both breeds have a lot to offer but if I had to run pure, or full blood it would be the American. I love the crosses the most. When you get the best of both worlds it's really hard to beat. The pit has exceptional athleticism and overall hardness. The American has size, willingness to please, and they don't get what I call the adrenaline block (my term) that so many pits get when the on switch is on. You can turn their on switch on and they still have the ability to think on their feet. I like the Scott's type dogs. 65 to 85 or 90 pounds of NFL linebacker types (fast, physical, and smart). Good wind and a quiet disposition are so important too. I have learned that the quicker a dog shuts up and settles down after a catch the more hogs you will catch in a day with it. They regain their composure and wind quicker. JMO    i thought you used straight apbts ? if i was still keepin dogs just for hunting i would have went to apbt and ab crosses i think also. i think the better abs for woods dogs show more apbt influence than alot anyway. just my opinion on that one,lol.

Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2020, 06:11:46 pm »

Hi, Tony, I don’t know if I’ve met you before officially.

I’m Obie Semmes.

I saw a hunt on here with you a few months ago it seems. I think it was with Mike? I think I know your wife Toni. I was one of the sponsors for Toni and Christine’s ab show in Arkansas in 2006 or 07. My name is one listed on back of the show shirt under sponsors.

Man!.... those two ladies really know how to throw a party! Lol

One of the funest shows I ever attended. Bulldog folks from all over the country commandering a hotel and a little bar across the street for two nights unexpectedly and I bet they still talk about it in that town. We partied for two days. Even had the cops called at 2-3 in morning because of the midnight bite club in the hotel parking lot catching dogs with the bite sleeve before they left!

Whew what a memory!

Anyway....

I owned a bulldog named grits that was a supreme grand champ.
He was an awesome dog. He was out of Eli (cowboy son and josh brother) and possum on sire side bred to a fully Bully from Chicago.
He caught first hog he ever saw and when they met in the middle of that pen in Georgia it sounded like a bomb went off. That dig just had it in him and many witnessed it and said the same. That started my passion for hog hunting.

Grits was a beautiful dog that caught well but was one and done. Just couldn’t breathe and reccouperate fast enough I reliezed after really getting into woods hunting years later.

I owned a josh/Sheba female I bought from lem. Her name was Shasta. She is on his website somewhere or was.. I raised her showed her to champion. Ofa’ed her hips and she came back excellent. I then sold her back to lem for same price I bought her for. He bred her... just just wasn’t my cup of tea. A little timid but I really hated her crooked bite the most. Very undershot and wry. Don’t know how she championed out?!? Maybe cause everyone knew who her breeder was. Lol

Imported a Joshua hybrid from white bandits in Germany. Lems cousins. Dog was athletic beautiful big and strong. Her name was trouble. I prelimed her hips and they were good. But as she grew she became insanely dog aggressive and then old people and children aggressive and at 18 mos the writing was on the wall and I put her down.

The next ab I got was a kinghaven dog. Long story short I’m still breeding on her today. Great temperament. Caught hogs in the woods well. Just great all around dog. Didn’t breathe quite as well as pits but decent. She died few years ago.

I imported a true grit bama boy breed dog from Sweden. Showed her to champion. Got wp3 title on her. Put her in hogs in the wild and pens. Ofa’ed her hips. She ended up a curr and a cull in the end.

I have had half dozen others I won’t name as well just out of respect and because I’m tired of clicking these buttons. But you would know the lines and the breeders.

In the end I, for my personal opinion, thought the ab was lacking for being the perfect catchdog. I know this is a blanket statement and there are plenty out there that make the grade. Scott is a great friend of mine and I have been hunting with him more than once and he produces hog dogs that he loves and the folks that get him from love.

Tico, Britt, and many others as well. I just don’t know em like I know Scott.

I just thought the ab overall lacked wind and endurance on a long hot Louisiana hunt. I struck out and am still breeding these mutts I got. The last beeeding I did was 5/8ab 1/4pit and 1/8cat.

I ain’t saying they worth a crap. But the folks that got em like em.

They mutts and they free when I breed which is rarely and I do it cause I like too and I got blood from two of my favorite dogs of the past around and things do remind me every day of those two dogs.

Btw....in all these years I’ve never sold a bulldog period. Probably spent 20-30k on showing testing buying and training em tho. I guess a sucker born every day lol

Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2020, 06:25:27 pm »

... I must also say I wouldn’t take a cent or a second back!

Traveling to 6-7 shows a year with a family in tow and raising my kids around dogs and different training from elementary school age and woods hunting with them thru middle and high school years sure has helped me make them into great young adults!

...and changed the sorry trajectory my life was in as well before the bulldog bug bit me!

Best darn money I ever spent lol
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2020, 07:48:35 am »

I like the size of those ab there just not practical enough for me. There great on the hog for those that make the grade. A much better choice then a dogo imo. Those big catch dogs to me struggle in creeks and steep banks. They also get hung up time after time in the under brush. If there not extremely well handled they will pull you every which way. Then on top of that they eat a ton and number 2 a ton. It’s a better fit for me to have a couple 40 lb pits. They are a very good choice of dog tho and a lot of them are built very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2020, 12:57:56 pm »

Yea things are good and I seem to always keep one or two dogs around. Been doing Bullhead, Kinghaven ABs x Chinaman APBTs for more than 10 years. I like the 3/4 AB 1/4 APBT, They got the athletic ability and wind but have a better handle than those APBT sisters I had. I try to get out hunting but the guys I used to go with down in Florida don't get out anymore. Looking for a new spot. http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/search.html?s=plugugly
TNT_Bulldogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2020, 12:59:31 pm »

I’ll have to see if I can’t find someone with social media. I don’t do the whole social media stuff. I get on a few forums and that’s the extent of my socialness. I appreciate the responses gentlemen. Are you fellers out towards the west ??
IM IN SOUTH FLORIDA.
TNT_Bulldogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2020, 02:39:00 pm »

I have two questions. One is why did y'all choose the AB's instead of another breed or crosses? Two what do y'all look for or expect from a "catch dog"?

I CHOOSE THE AMERICAN BULLDOG FOR SEVERAL REASONS. I WANTED A DOG I CAN CATCH HOG WITH AND DEAL WITH ONLY TOLERABLE DOG AGGRESSION AND BRING HOME AS A FAMILY DOG. I PREFER THEM OVER A DOGO AND A PIT. WHEN A DOGO IS A GOOD DOGO ITS A FORCE TO BE RECOND WITH AND ARE GREAT, HOWEVER THEY ARE BECOMING A LOT LESS RELIABLE IN MY OPINION THAN THE AB. GAME PITS ARE GREAT AND IMO THE BEST POUND FOR POUND THAN ANY OTHER BREED. HOWEVER, THEY ARE A LOT SMALLER AND A RANK HOG IS MORE LIKELY TO RUN OFF WITH THEM THAN AN AB. ALSO ITS HARD TO FIND ONE WITH THE SMARTS TO CATCH THE HOG RATHER THAN FIGHT THE HOG OR GRAB YOU FAVORITE STRIKE DOG. AS FOR CROSSING DOGS THAT WORKS SOMETIMES AND SOME GREAT DOGS HAVE COME OUT OF THAT, HOWEVER TO RECREATE THAT DOG WILL BE HARD WORK AS WITH A CROSS YOU WILL HAVE TRAITS FROM BOTH DOGS THAT WERE CROSSED AND NOW YOU SACRIFICE CONSISTANCY.
REGARDLESS WHAT YOU CHOOSE I BELIEVE ITS YOUR CHOICE AS ITS WHAT YOUR FEEDING. AS LONG AS THEY WORK FOR YOU THAT IS WHAT MATTERS IN MY OPINION.
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2020, 09:00:39 pm »

Anybody breeding AB’s that look like this Ranger dog........ that catch like the HinesSnowbird/Dorsey’s Flash female? Impressive!
-
I’m certainly not an expert on AB bloodlines. I’ve hunted with some nice AB’s. I love their catch & control style. I haven’t seen one that can breath good enough to hunt much in these Texas summers. My main catch dog now is a 3/4 Bulldog 1/4 Staghound. She’s a solid catch dog with an awesome temperament & handle. I recently started hunting off a horse and she’s transitioning to walk with me off the lead to the bay. She’s got brains & I love her.
-
Caught a lot of good hogs with her grandma that was a pure bred Standard/Scott type AB. She was a real solid dog as well.
-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2020, 09:40:02 pm »

Shotgun, that's the kind of handle I like in a catch dog. I hunt my current catch dog off leash.

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2020, 11:07:32 am »

good lord would i have loved to have a bulldog i didnt have to lead that would only go to the bark on command. you must be a good trainer t and also have trainable dogs.  good job man. ive seen one on a tv show that belongs to a guide service in florida. a blue apbt.

Shotgun, that's the kind of handle I like in a catch dog. I hunt my current catch dog off leash.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2020, 12:34:06 pm »

Gary it's more smart dog with good disposition than it is good trainer on my end forsure. That want to please mentality is a must. If they have the I'll do what you want after I've done what I want, they won't do it. They are also the kind of dog that can think on their feet. Too high strung and they can't adapt and they can't control impulse.

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2020, 01:16:22 pm »

now  you have gotten me to thinkin.  i guess in 20 plus years of using a lead in catch dog/ bulldog( as all the years prior,i just had rough dogs) i never even tried to see if i could train one to walk off lead when hunting. guess my main focus was to get em to go to the bark,lol.

Gary it's more smart dog with good disposition than it is good trainer on my end forsure. That want to please mentality is a must. If they have the I'll do what you want after I've done what I want, they won't do it. They are also the kind of dog that can think on their feet. Too high strung and they can't adapt and they can't control impulse.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2020, 03:07:50 pm »

Yeah it took me a while to think about doing it but once I did it it sure made hunting more enjoyable. Even a good leading dog can get tangled or whatever. I've had several dogs I hunted off lead now. You'd be surprised how quick you can do it if the dog is smart and has that right disposition.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2020, 05:36:13 pm »

I have two questions. One is why did y'all choose the AB's instead of another breed or crosses? Two what do y'all look for or expect from a "catch dog"?

The advantages I liked about the right bred, AB or dogo, vs my pits boiled down too two main things. More athletic regarding speed and endurance with the same hardness you need to trust in your cd (never let go). I also like the extra leg that keeps them holding with feet on the ground like a wrestler vs a short legged cd getting its front legs up to hold the ear and getting dish toweled or rodeo-ed as much. My final straw is when some really nice pits of mine drown from not letting go as the pig died and sank, never lost an AB or dogo like that but had 3 good pits have that happen after having allot of time in them was frustrating.

And FYI I know the right pit (mostly game bred from what ive seen) can be as athletic as any dogo/ab just saying in general the pure blood pits ive been around that were that athletic were smaller in length and weight and got there front legs up more than i preferred. Thats me being picky though 90% it dont matter and legged many of hog behind some short pits. 
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2020, 09:38:19 pm »

Yea things are good and I seem to always keep one or two dogs around. Been doing Bullhead, Kinghaven ABs x Chinaman APBTs for more than 10 years. I like the 3/4 AB 1/4 APBT, They got the athletic ability and wind but have a better handle than those APBT sisters I had. I try to get out hunting but the guys I used to go with down in Florida don't get out anymore. Looking for a new spot. http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/search.html?s=plugugly

Those are some fine bulldogs Teag. Man I sure do like that Mixer dog, and the Brody and Rooster dogs down from him look real nice too. You have a fine line of dogs going.

I'm a bulldog (APBT) man 100% till I die but doesn't mean I don't appreciate other breeds or good dogs when I see them. If I couldn't have bulldogs I would go with an AB hands down. In fact I recommend AB's to people when they are starting out.

There are pro's and cons to everything, and people will always have their preferences but I have hunted behind some really good AB's and APBT's. What I like about AB's are their size, intelligence, easier to control on and off switch, and they are usually easier to control dog aggression with. With that being said I still love the superior air, athleticism, and heart of a good bulldog. To each their own.
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2020, 12:40:41 am »

Those are some fine bulldogs Teag. Man I sure do like that Mixer dog, and the Brody and Rooster dogs down from him look real nice too. You have a fine line of dogs going.

I'm a bulldog (APBT) man 100% till I die but doesn't mean I don't appreciate other breeds or good dogs when I see them. If I couldn't have bulldogs I would go with an AB hands down. In fact I recommend AB's to people when they are starting out.

There are pro's and cons to everything, and people will always have their preferences but I have hunted behind some really good AB's and APBT's. What I like about AB's are their size, intelligence, easier to control on and off switch, and they are usually easier to control dog aggression with. With that being said I still love the superior air, athleticism, and heart of a good bulldog. To each their own.

the most athletic ab that i had was my old same dog  who was a cowboy son bred by lem miller.  sams color, size and build would have fit right into orbie coplins yard. orbie was a game dog guy with a yard of tightly inbred and linebred howard hienzel  apbts. i actually remember art lee had a male from coplin named  audie murphy and he was a little bigger than my sam  dog.  so with sam i got the best of both worlds for my needs in an ab. sam was  about 75 pounds so i would have liked him to be 80 to 85 and preportionally the same  just a bit bigger and still retain the wind, etc.   he was a real good dog as he was  i just feel a bit bigger would have been better.
WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2020, 01:46:27 am »

Dang, haven't seen the Orbie Coplin name in a couple decades. 
Teag_D
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2020, 09:11:58 am »

"Those are some fine bulldogs Teag. Man I sure do like that Mixer dog, and the Brody and Rooster dogs down from him look real nice too. You have a fine line of dogs going."

Thank you. That Mixer was a hell of an athlete. Once in a while, a freak pops up, and he was one. I got to get my current dog on a hunt. He seems to be a good one, but dont know till u know.
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2020, 11:18:56 am »

Dang, haven't seen the Orbie Coplin name in a couple decades. 

yeah i had a female named petunia bred by coplin that art lee gave me in the early 70s. she had all the wind in the world and ran her chain around the clock. but she would never start. i cant think what i did with her. i remember dennis ruth and curtis mayfield had some coplin dogs too. and cal mc mullin only had coplin dogs even though he just had a few dogs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: