April 29, 2024, 11:24:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Bulldogs  (Read 9374 times)
TNT_Bulldogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2020, 12:42:07 pm »

Anyone still running pure AB as catch dogs. If so what line/breeder are still being used. If you have any please post pictures and line or who produced them. Thank you.
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 10:25:18 am »

Let's see some pics of what you consider a PURE American Bulldog

Catchin hogs cracker style
TNT_Bulldogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 09:33:34 pm »

This trend wasn’t started to debate on AB being PURE. You can start another thread on that if you like. What was ment to have been said was dogs that were still AB and not have current crosses in them. Dogs from old lines that were used for catch work before. If there is anyone still using them. (Hines, Dorsey, Scott, LeClerc, screaming Eagle, ect)
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 11:05:32 pm »

10 4  Don't know anything about any of those Pure American Bulldog breeders.  I have however fed a few old timey "White Bulldogs" that were bred specifically for the purpose of "working", catching included. Still feed an old Cur that is probably better than 60% of that old blood. Not smart enough to post pics though

Catchin hogs cracker style
Birdslayer86
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 11:09:31 pm »

I have an AB in the house. Still a pup well a big pup now. I bought him for the misses so she will quit taking to the dogs she’s not suppose to. I bought him with the intention of letting him catch a hog or 2 and then seeing what he does in the NKC show ring and the future plan to buy bitches to use as catch dogs and keep a line going. Mine is Scott type but is from Joshua kennels here in Florida. My plan was to acquire males from one kennel and bitches from another. Alan Scott is still active in the bulldogs.
Birdslayer86
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 11:12:28 pm »

I wish it was easier to find some of them ole white dogs you speak of. Alabama and Georgia are good places to find them I just haven’t yet. The best working/performance AB originates from them ole white dogs you speak of.
Birdslayer86
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 11:15:13 am »

Less then a year. I’d have to find his paperwork to know for sure but still squats to pee as you can tell. Solid 70# right now and still growing
TNT_Bulldogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 12:37:12 pm »

I’ve had Joshua dogs in the past. My first bulldog was a Joshua dog( 15 years ago). He was a great catch dog. Second and third did turn out for me. Good luck with that boy. Hope he works out for you. Thank you for posting.
TNT_Bulldogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 12:39:48 pm »

I’ve had Joshua dogs in the past. My first bulldog was a Joshua dog( 15 years ago). He was a great catch dog. Second and third didn’t turn out for me. Good luck with that boy. Hope he works out for you. Thank you for posting.
Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 01:51:20 pm »

Yes, they are a few of us that are still using them. Some of us have been using them for several years and are several generations in breeding ABs for catchdogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Birdslayer86
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 02:23:33 pm »

TNT what are you using ?? If he doesn’t work out it’s not a big deal for me because he is doing exactly what I got him for and the misses loves him to death. I myself have always been curious how many of these big breeders still have what a bulldog is suppose to be or have they shifted so much to the show ring most are no longer what they should be. So he is my first in trying to figure that out and if not well I reckon the misses has one hell of an expensive lap dog.  I have a few things I already don’t like about him and something I was also curious about there over all health in general or is the pool so small in some types those issues are going to be there.
Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 02:49:27 pm »

TNT what are you using ?? If he doesn’t work out it’s not a big deal for me because he is doing exactly what I got him for and the misses loves him to death. I myself have always been curious how many of these big breeders still have what a bulldog is suppose to be or have they shifted so much to the show ring most are no longer what they should be. So he is my first in trying to figure that out and if not well I reckon the misses has one hell of an expensive lap dog.  I have a few things I already don’t like about him and something I was also curious about there over all health in general or is the pool so small in some types those issues are going to be there.
IMO, the gene pool in ABs isn’t that small in either type. Not all pedigrees are accurate. Other breeds have been added by some but it is not reflected on the pedigree itself.

TNT_Bulldogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 05:07:14 pm »

I’m in my second generation of Jam Up Bulldogs. I’m overall happy in what I have currently. And your right not many ppl testing their bulldogs before breeding them. That is the reason for my post. I want to see if anyone else out there is putting these dogs to the test. I only know of a select few.  As far as health issues. Some have them because it’s hard to find dogs that are from working stock and from ppl that aren’t lying about their paperwork. (Adding pit, catahoula, mastiffs  ect. And still call them AB)  So it’s hard to find suitable outcross. Also the show ring and fame has ruined a lot of the breed. Starting with Mr Johnson D. It all started when the price for pups began to skyrocket. Most hunter aren’t looking to spend 1k + for a pup that may get killed on his first rank hog. But show ppl don’t mind and breed their champion cur for a profit.
TNT_Bulldogs
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 05:10:47 pm »

Yes, they are a few of us that are still using them. Some of us have been using them for several years and are several generations in breeding ABs for catchdogs

Do you currently use them? If so what line/lines did you start with and do you have pictures of them doing bulldog work?
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 03:59:33 pm »

Anyone still running pure AB as catch dogs. If so what line/breeder are still being used. If you have any please post pictures and line or who produced them. Thank you.

had good luck with Scott  bred AB's personally
Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 04:04:42 pm »

Do you currently use them? If so what line/lines did you start with and do you have pictures of them doing bulldog work?
Yes, I’m still using them. Lines: BamaBoy thru True Grit and JEL, Stover, Hines, old Painter/Scott, and Florida Panhandle dogs. Yes I have pictures. As a side note, Tico has been a friend of mine for 17-18 years now

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 05:18:58 pm »

you will find some good guys on this board that did or are still using abs in the woods. i used em for over 20 years but havent  hunted in a few years now and am down to one old bulldog thats goin on 10. and hes a straight bred standard dog and i also owned and used his grt grt grandmother over 20 year ago also. ive used and hunted behind a bunch of different abs over the years both standard and hybred in lineage. owned a bunch of the things over the years. you will find some good ab guys  on here.  i also owned and printed the american bulldog review magazine the last years it ran and i judged a aba ab  show last fall.
Birdslayer86
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 05:21:48 pm »

TNT you didn’t mention what line yours were ?? Thanks in advance
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 06:42:30 pm »

i would post some pictures but they froze my photo bucket account  and i dont even know if i can post thru files on my computer to here.
Birdslayer86
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 09:05:03 pm »

Use postimages. It a better host and I think much simpler for pics on forums
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: