March 28, 2024, 02:43:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Bulldogs  (Read 8593 times)
maverick10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2020, 01:19:34 pm »

Been years since I’ve posted on here but I got me a nice male bulldog from Scott Pugh that I never leave behind best nature dog I’ve ever owned...
Have heard good things about his dogs as well. Seem to have the right on/off switch.
yes sir I made a cross too a bigger bulldog gyp got a male pup he’s about 10 weeks old will see how he turns out in the future wish I could post pictures but dang photobucket having problems..

HARD WORK PAYS OFF!!!! REMEBER IT!!!!
Birdslayer86
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2020, 12:54:00 pm »

I’ll message my number to anyone that wants pics posted. I can post them for you or I can do my best to walk you threw it
Dino1
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2020, 06:01:35 pm »

Jeff Clark in the Florida panhandle still breeds old style White English Bulldogs. Never bought a dog off him, but have heard good things about him. He rarely has pups though.

http://razorbackbulls.tripod.com/jeff.htm
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2020, 09:37:13 am »

Jeff Clark in the Florida panhandle still breeds old style White English Bulldogs. Never bought a dog off him, but have heard good things about him. He rarely has pups though.

http://razorbackbulls.tripod.com/jeff.htm
From what I have heard and seen, with my own eyes, his blood is Johnson bred. Although they may make good "yard" dogs, the one's I have seen are worthless when it comes to "working" ability.

Catchin hogs cracker style
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2020, 05:07:20 pm »

Amen...just ‘nother sales pitch which has plagued the ‘breed’ since inception.
There are originators if the breed like Alan Scott and darrin Jones and others that got stock from pockets in the south.  They, like Johnson and others tweeked and changed things for a growing market.

I can’t tell you really what the origin of the ‘ab’ was.

I believe myself , and I could be wrong, the ab is a mutt and always was....

Warrant will disagree.

I know in the 1920’s the most popular dog in America was the Colby piebald pitbull terrier. This is absolute fact. I believe the ab traces its origins to crosses of those dogs.

As far as the ab as a breed I believe the best ‘recipe’ there was were the Billy hines dogs. He was a dog peddler and his pedigrees are suspect at the very least.

There are other ‘modern’ ab breeders like ‘stover’ and ‘jones’  and ‘miles’ That left a mark. As did Johnson...

But to say they are anything other than souped up Colby type pits you would have to prove me wrong and I have studied this and asked these questions a 100 times before and have yet for someone to prove me wrong
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2020, 05:24:31 pm »

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/american_bulldog/dog.html?id=1587908-mac-the-masher
Colby type pitbull foundation dog
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/american_bulldog/dog.html?id=1584928-scotts-dixieman
English bulldog cross foundation dog
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/american_bulldog/dog.html?id=1759017-johnsons-dick-the-bruiser
English and maybe mastif cross from the 50’s. Foundation dog

To me all these dogs which are foundation dogs either are decendants of the most popular dog in america 30-50 years prior or are crosses of those dogs
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2020, 05:41:37 pm »

Just thru research I found an actual family connection.
This is a relative of mine documented in a book of my family
Which actually contains a family tree like dog pedigree papers. I claim no prior knowledge of this nor did I contribute in any way to bulldogs or the history. But this man is in the fifth gen of semmes in America in the book and I am in the 11th gen in the book.
Just a weird coincidence..,
This is the turn of the century...1908.
Traces these dogs to english origins. Dadgum they look like they could be progenitors of the ab. They are pitbulls
http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=80537
http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=80542
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2020, 05:48:50 pm »

If you were to trace semmes’ colonel’s progeny you will see that some were imported back to england and bred with dogs to create the amstaff which was then imported back to America.
Dogs that were piebald and looked much like this dog.
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/american_bulldog/dog.html?id=1442829-joshuas-sand-valley-sam-aka-cowboy
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2020, 05:53:17 pm »

I know folks hate it but these are facts supported by historical evidence. I am willing to listen to facts as well and willing to change my mind....but fairy tales don’t count.
I have met Gerald miles twice and seen his yard taped. I have seen billy Hines yard tapes as well
As others... these are ‘foundation’ breeders of the ab....
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2020, 07:35:37 pm »

Have no interest in "foundation" American bulldogs or those that bred them. Almost all I have seen have had "pit" bulldog bred into them at some point. The dogs I speak of, I have been told and believe to be true, are more descended from Spanish blood, rather than English blood. I have Indian friends in Highlands County Florida that have had the dogs I speak of long before the 1920's. Family goes back to Chief "Cow Catcher" from the Alachua /Gainesville area. These dogs have a "herding" trait that sets them apart from all others. Bred to work not fight. 

Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2020, 07:57:26 pm »

Fairy tales... is this the aluant you speak of? The ‘Alan’s dogs’?  You need check the history my friend. Maybe you are talking bout a catahoula possibly bred from a Spanish bulldog cross by your Indian friend’s fore-bearers
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2020, 08:09:38 pm »

The alaunt is the fore bearer of bulldogs, mastiffs and greyhounds...
none of which are herders.
They are war, fighting and catchdogs.
Indians did breed the catahoula from some unknown breed to their own dogs.
This is fact as well. It could have been an alaunt I suppose....

Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2020, 08:28:46 pm »

I’m just saying....most American bulldog owners I have met. Would hope their dog wouldn’t be considered as having a ‘herding’ instinct when facing a wild hog. I’ve been there and done that. U have had both curr and and catch dogs. And every an owner I have known want theirs to just catch not herd
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2020, 08:34:38 pm »

Chief Cow Keeper, not Catcher. My bad. No Fairy Tales here bud. First hand knowledge from a group of Family's who's blood has been in "La Florida" since Spanish rule. Have been told that some of them Alanos them Spanish Boys brought over were pretty good "herders" Wink

Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2020, 08:37:15 pm »

By that I guess you mean catchers? You know...like a bulldog?
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2020, 08:50:42 pm »

No offense bud, but we are on two completely different pages here. I will continue to look for the type of dog I speak of. I'm not smart enough to post pics, but if you ever come across one of these bulldogs I speak of, please let me know. A picture of my "Sissy" dog can be found back through my pages. You ever come across someone who breeds them that looks like that and posses a natural herding instinct, please let me know. 

Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2020, 08:57:23 pm »

No problem here ‘bud’... wish I’d had ya contact sooner cause I’ve spent a couple or few bullets on those ‘herding’ types in the past. Guess I’ll just pass um on to you from now on if I come cross um.
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2020, 07:26:56 am »

Just to clarify, in case there are actually some left out there, the trait I speak of is the ability to attempt to hold up, bunch, and ring stock. Most here have read my posts in the past and understand that. This is for those that don't.

Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2020, 08:18:24 pm »

Warrent, check out the fir sale section...

Seems like a good fit for you to at least give a shot. Haggiebear a good dude that loves the breed.

I have seen leatherneck dogs and they are driven... Henery a good dude that has been breeding fur decades.

Margenta and painter dogs go back to foundation stock.

And got old school Scott dogs in the mix as well and true grit...

If I were you, and like you say you are looking for something to prove I’d give it a shot for sure.

You got nothing to lose on this one.
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2020, 08:30:57 pm »

To anyone looking for an ab to work and try and prove our id pick up this dog and give it a go. It’s free from a guy that is working to prove his stock. What more honorable cause could be asked???
It’s free to a working home and from well thought out and bred lines. Check out the post by haggiebear in the fir sale section

I gain nothing from this but sure hope someone picks it up and I’m reading stories with it as a catchdog because I know there is blood sweat and tears and decades combined of folks that poured their heart into the ab. ....and I truly live the breed as well
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: